New Fatal Fury

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Would pretty well guarantee that’s what it is going to be. I’d be very surprised to see something with the classic background/foreground sways, or three attack buttons.

EDIT oh they already fixed the Marco/Butt thing. Well that’s good.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't forget XIII wasn't nearly respected enough in its time for its sprite art. I think people are more open to it now than in 2010, but SNK is rightly worried about dropping a new big budget game and losing millions because normies perceive its graphics as being antiquated.

How about: SNK makes a new Fatal Fury in a hi-res version for current-gen consoles and in a low-res version for AES with a very small print run. It would be a cool marketing idea!

I would even say that they would win financially. If in the long run they could produce 5'000* of this module with packaging (which probably wouldn't cost 10% as much as in 1995), but easily get the same sales price as in 1995 (about 400** dollars)... the 2 million in sales would probably be more than SNK would make with the Current-Gen version :lol:

Don't forget: Neo Geo collectors are the only retro gamers who are willing to easily exceed the 1000 dollar mark on average. You can easily do good business with the smallest amount (that's why there are still homebrew developers)! The market potential is actually not far away from luxury products like Phatek Phillippe watches etc.).

* conservatively calculated: There are at least 5'000 NeoGeo AES systems in operation worldwide. More likely 10-20 times as many!
** whereas it could also easily demand 800 dollars, which is also easily paid for DEV-Team-Games on Ebay.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I wouldn't mind seeing them using something like the newest Sam Sho graphics but more comic book/anime looking if it's going to be a Real Bout style game. If it's MOTW2 though they're really going to have to be careful not to fuck up the very specific atmosphere and presentation the original had.
Specific presentation? Motw basically seemed like KOF with more frames of animation to me. Way less cartoony and bright compared to the older FF games. The controls were basically the same as kof. No more background attacks. They even added a wirey pretty boy character (Rock) which is what they were doing with KOF at the time. Heck, the boss even had purple flames, surprised there was no orochi tie in.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Snk kinda has the same problem as sega with Sonic the hedgehog. The property they are developing is old. Do they try to make it a nostalgia thing that 40+ year olds will like but youngsters won't (ie a 2d low res game that looks like motw 1) or do they just ape the aspects of the latest well received modern fighting games to try and appeal to the people who play modern fighting games (make some shiny 3d characters who fight on a 2d plane, like recent kof and street fighter games)? Or do they try to do something that's completely it's own thing, but it's regarded poorly and alienates both the old timers and the young gamers who aren't familiar with the 90s neo geo games (low res hyper neo geo 64 style 3d? High res 2d where old timers don't like the reinvention of the characters and youngsters think it looks too old because 2d? Maybe 3d graphics with so much cel shading and cartoony effects that the game looks like a parody?)?

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
I mean I don’t think that’s a fair comparison being that it’s nowhere near as established as Capcom or SNK games are or even Arksys.

I mean I never even heard of it until you mentioned it

The other Roker was better informed - maybe you should consider giving him back his account. :D

Snk kinda has the same problem as sega with Sonic the hedgehog. The property they are developing is old. Do they try to make it a nostalgia thing that 40+ year olds will like but youngsters won't (ie a 2d low res game that looks like motw 1) or do they just ape the aspects of the latest well received modern fighting games to try and appeal to the people who play modern fighting games (make some shiny 3d characters who fight on a 2d plane, like recent kof and street fighter games)? Or do they try to do something that's completely it's own thing, but it's regarded poorly and alienates both the old timers and the young gamers who aren't familiar with the 90s neo geo games (low res hyper neo geo 64 style 3d? High res 2d where old timers don't like the reinvention of the characters and youngsters think it looks too old because 2d? Maybe 3d graphics with so much cel shading and cartoony effects that the game looks like a parody?)?
that's where my idea would come in handy to serve both "worlds" perfectly:

How about: SNK makes a new Fatal Fury in a hi-res version for current-gen consoles and in a low-res version for AES with a very small print run. It would be a cool marketing idea!

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
that's where my idea would come in handy to serve both "worlds" perfectly:
Oh yeah kinda like how Sonic mania the 2d Genesis throwback game, came out concurrently with some kind of modern 3d Sonic game. I don't think snk has the resources for that though.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
What? No. I wish. They won't even make a version that runs on a real Game Gear public.
Only glanced at it after Roker brought it up.

If anything that just reinforces my point.

I would even say that they would win financially. If in the long run they could produce 5'000* of this module with packaging (which probably wouldn't cost 10% as much as in 1995), but easily get the same sales price as in 1995 (about 400** dollars)... the 2 million in sales would probably be more than SNK would make with the Current-Gen version :lol:

Don't forget: Neo Geo collectors are the only retro gamers who are willing to easily exceed the 1000 dollar mark on average. You can easily do good business with the smallest amount (that's why there are still homebrew developers)! The market potential is actually not far away from luxury products like Phatek Phillippe watches etc.).

* conservatively calculated: There are at least 5'000 NeoGeo AES systems in operation worldwide. More likely 10-20 times as many!
** whereas it could also easily demand 800 dollars, which is also easily paid for DEV-Team-Games on Ebay.
A few things.

1. The AES/MVS version would be extremely pared down and would require separate development staff and resources to make.

2. The cost of chips has risen with the supply shortages and distribution issues. The auto industry is soaking up a lot of the supply for older EPROMs and socket chips because they still use a lot of them for simple tasks in vehicles.

3. MVS/AES carts never got cheaper. Even up to 2004 with their last release, they still cost $300 for the home cart, and more than a grand for the MVS kit. If anything, with inflation, the chip issue above, development, manufacturing, and distribution costs, it would make zero financial sense to do.

We need to accept the fact that the Neo-Geo hardware is truly dead and gone, and move on from any wild fantasies of SNK developing games for it again. IF, and that's a big IF, we get any Neo-Geo like games in the future, they will still be developed on modern hardware and software for modern platforms and done for stylistic reasons only.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

The other Roker was better informed - maybe you should consider giving him back his account. :D

lol!

That was 9 years ago!

I never played it back then and still haven't now.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
The only possibility of an actual NEO•GEO hardware release of any kind that could be financially feasible would be a NEO•GEO CD.
Even then only the dorks like us here would buy it, because we are the only dorks who own them.
And we would still complain.
Whatever it ends up being ill probably buy it so long as it gets a physical release.

Oh wait, they could make it DLC for the Arcade Stick Pro!!!

Last edited:

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
While I'm not a huge fan of the look of the new KOF I won't care as long as the game plays well. I really liked the last SamSho game.

It would be amazing if they did something like Guilty Gear for the visual aspect.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Oh yeah kinda like how Sonic mania the 2d Genesis throwback game, came out concurrently with some kind of modern 3d Sonic game. I don't think snk has the resources for that though.
I just got Sonic Mania a few weeks ago. Holy SHIT were they pandering to me with this thing…and I just waited until it was on clearance. Ha! Anyway, it’s awesome.

An SNK version of Sonic Mania…an HD wide Genesis game with a gigabyte ROM, would be the game of the century. It is NOT happening though. SNK simply doesn’t have it in them.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just got Sonic Mania a few weeks ago. Holy SHIT were they pandering to me with this thing…and I just waited until it was on clearance. Ha! Anyway, it’s awesome.

An SNK version of Sonic Mania…an HD wide Genesis game with a gigabyte ROM, would be the game of the century. It is NOT happening though. SNK simply doesn’t have it in them.
Ugh. That collection of remixed old Sonic levels? You're late to the party, but welcome to being everyone on the internet.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Specific presentation? Motw basically seemed like KOF with more frames of animation to me. Way less cartoony and bright compared to the older FF games. The controls were basically the same as kof. No more background attacks. They even added a wirey pretty boy character (Rock) which is what they were doing with KOF at the time. Heck, the boss even had purple flames, surprised there was no orochi tie in.
MOTW is closer to Last Blade than KOF as far as presentation, atmosphere and graphics. If you think it's just a fancier version of KOF I don't know what to tell you...

Only glanced at it after Roker brought it up.

If anything that just reinforces my point.

A few things.

1. The AES/MVS version would be extremely pared down and would require separate development staff and resources to make.

2. The cost of chips has risen with the supply shortages and distribution issues. The auto industry is soaking up a lot of the supply for older EPROMs and socket chips because they still use a lot of them for simple tasks in vehicles.

3. MVS/AES carts never got cheaper. Even up to 2004 with their last release, they still cost $300 for the home cart, and more than a grand for the MVS kit. If anything, with inflation, the chip issue above, development, manufacturing, and distribution costs, it would make zero financial sense to do.

We need to accept the fact that the Neo-Geo hardware is truly dead and gone, and move on from any wild fantasies of SNK developing games for it again. IF, and that's a big IF, we get any Neo-Geo like games in the future, they will still be developed on modern hardware and software for modern platforms and done for stylistic reasons only.
I'm not so sure. Dev-Team was able to sell games with just a few hundert copies for 400 bucks or less.
All their games are now between 1000 and 2000 bucks at least. There seem to be people willing to pay these prices...
Compared to todays regular videogame margin (a 60$ game is sold from the publisher for about 20$) of about 30% a new AES Fatal Fury could be easily sold by SNK for 1500$. Their margin would be higher than a PS5 game! Therefore SNK could sell only about 3000 units instead of todays 300'000 or more.
I don't know... it's just daring and interesting speculation.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Dev-Team is a small group of passionate homebrewers targeting only an extremely small, niche, and wealthy market.

SNK is a medium sized developer of high quality games for modern consoles, with shareholders to answer to and a target audience of millions and millions of gamers worldwide.

If they sold a new AES cart for $1500, it would be absolute PR disaster across the board. Gaming news reporters, casual fans, and hardcore Neo fans alike. Sure, you'll get some with more money than sense to buy it, but they're only gonna buy it so they can hoard and flip it.

Also, no online, no cross play, no patches, no DLC, etc. Not gonna fly.

Last edited:

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Didn't SNK break even on AES cart sales back in the day.

They'll continue to put out limited editions in AES style snaplocks that sorta resemble the real thing. That's their strategy to tap into the Neo Geo fan market.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dayum! Out of left field! What's the chances it will be a 2-D fighter?!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just make it play like real bouts and it could look like a hyper neo 64 game for all I care.
That's where I'm at. Wild Ambition was basically a Real Bout game translated to 3D, and I'd love that again.

I'd like SNK to keep trying to improve their visuals and maybe someday catch up to a current gen level of quality. But yeah, I'd rather have a game that plays like Real Bout but looks like Hyper 64 than have a game that looks great but plays like MotW.

Maybe this sudden move to do a new MotW comes from SNK seeing the Street Fighter 6 trailers and gameplay coming out. Maybe they plan to rip SF6 off the way MotW ripped off SF3. Parrying is back and SF6 has that Metro City setting backdrop. Maybe MotW2 will have some free roaming training mode where you wander around Southtown or Second South or something.