New Fatal Fury

Pflanze nacht
Dev-Team is a small group of passionate homebrewers targeting only an extremely small, niche, and wealthy market.

SNK is a medium sized developer of high quality games for modern consoles, with shareholders to answer to and a target audience of millions and millions of gamers worldwide.

If they sold a new AES cart for $1500, it would be absolute PR disaster across the board. Gaming news reporters, casual fans, and hardcore Neo fans alike. Sure, you'll get some with more money than sense to buy it, but they're only gonna buy it so they can hoard and flip it.

Also, no online, no cross play, no patches, no DLC, etc. Not gonna fly.
I'm the opposite opinion about PR with AES games. It would get a lot of short term attention to produce a limited number of games for a 30 year old system for a "breath taking" selling price.
It happens to be a common method in other areas: think about limited runs of shoes (jordan, Pharrell Williams...) or also with limited versions games (Zelda, Final Fantasy etc)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'd like SNK to keep trying to improve their visuals and maybe someday catch up to a current gen level of quality.
Of course I'm not against improving the visuals, but I'm really not finding this bandwagon productive anymore. KOF XV looks really clean in 4K and HDR. They even added 120 fps to Samurai Shodown. Does anyone actually playing these games care, and do you think they are losing customers over it?

Surely you can't expect AAA visuals from smaller Japanese developers. Falcom is an example with the same issues. The graphics are more than adequate considering the budget they're working with. If they are losing customers over this, do you think there is a realistic solution?

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm with Neo Alec.

Personally, I think it's just trendy and reflexive to criticize the graphics for KOF 15 and Sam Sho because KOF 14 had some really rough character models, skin textures, and lighting. Not every game needs to look like something from NetherRealm, Capcom, or Arcsys. SNK fighters don't need Unreal Engine 5 put to it's limit, or even UE4 for that matter. KOF 15 actually has a tremendous amount of detail in terms of textures, models, and stages if you really look at it, and both it and Sam Sho look pretty damn good to me.

It just seems weird to me to have SNK/Neo-Geo fans complain about it. The Neo-Geo was the undisputed king of platforms that was behind the times, but still being developed for once the mid/late-90s hit. That's especially true after 2000 once the PS2 took over, the Dreamcast was still afloat and Naomi hardware was in arcades, and 3Dfx was killing it on home PCs. We still loved them because they had style and personality, even if the graphics and sound were technically ancient. The technology gap now is nowhere near where it was then, and yet people still gripe. Yeesh.

Just play the damn games and have fun.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Pflanze nacht

I'm the opposite opinion about PR with AES games. It would get a lot of short term attention to produce a limited number of games for a 30 year old system for a "breath taking" selling price.
It happens to be a common method in other areas: think about limited runs of shoes (jordan, Pharrell Williams...) or also with limited versions games (Zelda, Final Fantasy etc)
"SNK charges $1500 for new game on dead hardware fans have been wanting for 20 years"

Yeah, great headline.

It's a moot point anyways. 100% impossible that will happen.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I'm with Neo Alec.

Personally, I think it's just trendy and reflexive to criticize the graphics for KOF 15 and Sam Sho because KOF 14 had some really rough character models, skin textures, and lighting. Not every game needs to look like something from NetherRealm, Capcom, or Arcsys. SNK fighters don't need Unreal Engine 5 put to it's limit, or even UE4 for that matter. KOF 15 actually has a tremendous amount of detail in terms of textures, models, and stages if you really look at it, and both it and Sam Sho look pretty damn good to me.

It just seems weird to me to have SNK/Neo-Geo fans complain about it. The Neo-Geo was the undisputed king of platforms that was behind the times, but still being developed for once the mid/late-90s hit. That's especially true after 2000 once the PS2 took over, the Dreamcast was still afloat and Naomi hardware was in arcades, and 3Dfx was killing it on home PCs. We still loved them because they had style and personality, even if the graphics and sound were technically ancient. The technology gap now is nowhere near where it was then, and yet people still gripe. Yeesh.

Just play the damn games and have fun.

You are conveniently omitting a single critical point; the Neo was never state of the art, but it never made SHITTY 3D either. It wasn’t popular in the 90s despite its shortcomings, for the majority of its life it was popular for being 2D which wasn’t considered a shortcoming at all. People like myself never gave a shit about 3D fighters, never wanted them, never asked for them, never ever wanted my favorite series converted to polygons. I love the Neo because it CAN’T be state of the art.

It’s not that they don’t have a killer software department filled with low level programing geniuses, it’s that the games all look like uninspired retread fan made garbage…at any frame rate.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The Neo was 100% state of the art when it came out in 1990 and smoked all home consoles, PCs, and most of the arcades at the time. Arcades caught up to it quickly, then PCs in the mid/late 90s, and it wasn't until the Dreamcast that home consoles would have totally authentic ports to the hardware.

I totally disagree that they look like fan-made garbage and are uninspired.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Marketing has conditioned gamers to conflate graphical fidelity and budget with art direction. Early Neo Geo games set benchmarks for graphics, but as the hardware moved into its twilight years SNK proved that solid art direction was enough to make timeless looking games.

It's hard to measure the sizes of companies but I'm not sure Arcsys is bigger than SNK. Capcom is bigger than both companies and yet SFV had cheap outsourced art, so it's all about the resources allotted to the developers.

Arcsys proves that you can budget yourself a pipeline to wow not just longtime fans and the FGC with your visuals, but the broader gaming public, and you don't need to push the boundaries of poly counts and raytracing to get there. I have no doubt that this is improving their sales. GG Strive is by far the best selling in the series.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
You are conveniently omitting a single critical point; the Neo was never state of the art, but it never made SHITTY 3D either. It wasn’t popular in the 90s despite its shortcomings, for the majority of its life it was popular for being 2D which wasn’t considered a shortcoming at all. People like myself never gave a shit about 3D fighters, never wanted them, never asked for them, never ever wanted my favorite series converted to polygons. I love the Neo because it CAN’T be state of the art.

It’s not that they don’t have a killer software department filled with low level programing geniuses, it’s that the games all look like uninspired retread fan made garbage…at any frame rate.

I mean, their SHITTY 3D was called the Hyper Neo Geo 64 lol. They made it, failed, and went back to what they knew and died in obscurity by the end of it all.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
KOF 14 was mocked when the initial trailers hit. But when the game was released, everyone changed their tune. It was a good game. XV is just a big improvement, and has the advantage of also being able to run on better hardware.

You're right, it's trendy to criticize current SNK graphics. Kind of the same with criticizing modern Sonic too. It's popular to complain, but most of the people doing it were never going to buy it no matter how good it was anyway, so it's kind of pointless.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
You're right, it's trendy to criticize current SNK graphics. Kind of the same with criticizing modern Sonic too. It's popular to complain, but most of the people doing it were never going to buy it no matter how good it was anyway, so it's kind of pointless.

I will bitch and moan about the graphics but I'll probably end up buying the new FF game anyway lol. I don't like the way it looks but I did have a little fun with KOFXV.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
No doubt i'm buying the game regardless.
I just know how I would LIKE it to look vs how it's probably GOING to look.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
They must have already been working on it for awhile to tease it right? It'd be odd to tease it when it's at 0 percent. So let's see some gameplay pics or vids snk.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Am I crazy or does the combo of Rock and Billy strongly imply this will fit between RB2 And MOTW in the time line?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They must have already been working on it for awhile to tease it right? It'd be odd to tease it when it's at 0 percent. So let's see some gameplay pics or vids snk.
I doubt it. The trailer even says "Green-Lit", judging by the artwork shown they are most likely still in the preliminary stages. That art does not look new.

Well let's just assume the artwork is the theme of the next ff.
It could still be motw2, I mean story wise if anyone knew what geese was what up/closest to him its billy so makes sense for rock to want to talk to him/billy have an interest in rock.

Anyway it's most likely going to be 2.5d. Anime is still popular, I mean at Cannes this year anime was pretty much announced as the most bankable movie genre in the world so theres still plenty of people working in 2d animation in japan.
It's just the type of people who play fighting games arent nesacrily the main market of anime popularity.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Am I crazy or does the combo of Rock and Billy strongly imply this will fit between RB2 And MOTW in the time line?
I don't think so. Surefire bet it'll be after MOTW with the cliffhanger ending unresolved.

More than likely Billy is there as a way to tease old characters and what they've been up to with the passage of time (14 years since Geese died if I remember right? MOTW took place in 2009?). Unlike the first MOTW, I'm pretty sure we'll see more of the older characters back in action.

I also wonder if the game will take place in 2010 or something like that, or if they'll play time shenanigans like KOF. I hope it's the former.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Jesus fucking Christ
I know man.
Just make an honest to God Fatal Fury game.
Not MotW2, not KoF lite.
Just Fatal fucking, line swaying, three attack buttons, comic book looking, Fury.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I know man.
Just make an honest to God Fatal Fury game.
Not MotW2, not KoF lite.
Just Fatal fucking, line swaying, three attack buttons, comic book looking, Fury.
That ship has likely sailed forever.

Majority of the fans want the MOTW sequel they never got, myself included.

SNK devs are more interested in developing said sequel.

Who knows, maybe after this comes out they'll do something like a reboot of the first game? Time will tell, but I highly doubt it.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I really hope it doesn't have that plane shift stuff. That's the only thing I disliked about the FF and RB games

"SNK charges $1500 for new game on dead hardware fans have been wanting for 20 years"

Yeah, great headline.

It's a moot point anyways. 100% impossible that will happen.
Of course it wont happen. My point was just the PR theories of getting attention.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Haven't played a SNK game since the KoF11/NeoWave era because I was always content with the original Neo games. Too early to tell but this may be the game that brings me over to the modern era.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The graphics are more than adequate
Maybe that should be SNK's new slogan to replace the Future Is Now?

SNK: More Than Adequate

You know what bandwagon I don't find productive? The apologists and the people who have just given up on the idea of SNK ever reclaiming their spot as one of the top developers who make games both play and look great. "This is good enough" is a defeatist mentality.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I really hope it doesn't have that plane shift stuff. That's the only thing I disliked about the FF and RB games
The plane shifting is what made Fatal Fury stand out.
You take that away and you've remove what made the game unique.
It's one of the reasons I don't think of MotW as a FF game.