New Fatal Fury

Capcom shat out MvC3, but SNK committed the sin of SNK Heroines.
Oh man if u think mvc3 was shat out then u clearly havent played marvel vs capcom infinite and clearly have no idea how low capcom have gotten with their fighting games.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Oh man if u think mvc3 was shat out then u clearly havent played marvel vs capcom infinite and clearly have no idea how low capcom have gotten with their fighting games.
I blame Infinite's inherent shittyness on the Marvel Disney takeover.
It's like they went "hey, MvC3 was really popular because of its references, some unusual characters, music, design and gameplay, let's remove all of that because Disney wants it to be just like their shitty movies they keep releasing"

No wonder it got removed from EVO so quickly.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
UMVC3 was really well received and gets more attention today than SF4.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I meant to say Infinite was shat out instead of 3.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Capcom shat out MvC3, but SNK committed the sin of SNK Heroines.
IMO SNK Heroines was just silly fun and a horny guy cashgrab that was never meant to be taken seriously. Definitely was not intended for competition at some place like EVO.

MvC Infinite however...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
IMO SNK Heroines was just silly fun and a horny guy cashgrab that was never meant to be taken seriously. Definitely was not intended for competition at some place like EVO.

MvC Infinite however...

You’re making excuses that you shouldn’t have to make. When the real SNK made Gal’s Fighters for the NGP nobody had to be apologetic, in fact it is in some ways the best NGP fighter. It was the final one, representing the culmination of their NGP dev skills, and it plays as good or better than any other NGP game. They didn’t think, “Oh well, the horny have no standards. Just pump it out.” Apparently if you were king of Saudi Arabia that’s what you’d tell SNK to do.

SNK…it’s not a tribe or a religion. When they stop making good stuff, you can just quit. You don’t have to try to bend reality around garbage to justify it, you can go do something else that’s actually fun. If they actually make anything good ever again, believe me, you’ll hear about it!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
In Japan, SNK were equals to Capcom for several years, and for a few years from maybe 1993 to 1995, they were pretty definitively beating Capcom in popularity in Japan.

This^.

I don’t recall Capcom ever having theme parks.

Fygee

20 Year Member
You’re making excuses that you shouldn’t have to make. When the real SNK made Gal’s Fighters for the NGP nobody had to be apologetic, in fact it is in some ways the best NGP fighter. It was the final one, representing the culmination of their NGP dev skills, and it plays as good or better than any other NGP game. They didn’t think, “Oh well, the horny have no standards. Just pump it out.” Apparently if you were king of Saudi Arabia that’s what you’d tell SNK to do.

SNK…it’s not a tribe or a religion. When they stop making good stuff, you can just quit. You don’t have to try to bend reality around garbage to justify it, you can go do something else that’s actually fun. If they actually make anything good ever again, believe me, you’ll hear about it!
I think you're taking this way, way too seriously. It's a game dude, there's no cult involved.

If you hate it, fine, just understand it for what it is. Not every game, for any company, is intended to be some AAA flagship product. There's no way SNK developed this intending it to be showcased at EVO. And, the game itself isn't bad. It plays pretty well and is just goofy, casual fare.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
This^.

I don’t recall Capcom ever having theme parks.
Perhaps, but on the other hand the theme parks are part of SNK overextending themselves. Capcom could have done them too, but whether they also would have had to shut them down as fast as SNK did is up for debate.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Did Capcom ever have it's own game centers like sega, snk and namco did?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Did Capcom ever have it's own game centers like sega, snk and namco did?
DDlSxaAXkAA9wru

Capcom owned an arcade chain in the states called Nickel City. Most of them closed in 2004 when the american coin op division was dissolved, although a couple stayed open as independent business'.

Although Capcom was always a smaller player in the arcade space compared to Sega and Namco, so I don't think they ever owned those large game centers you see in Japan.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yasuyuki Oda interview:

What can you tell me about the six new characters that were planned for that canned game? Could we maybe see some of those come back?

We can’t say anything about any roster decisions now, but one thing I will say as a hint is that we aren’t calling it Garou 2 this time. It’s a new Fatal Fury / Garou… nobody knows the actual title yet.

Oh, so it might be more similar to the original Fatal Fury games?

Yes.

Nice:buttrock:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
YES PLEASE BE A NEW FATAL FURY GAME!
I like MOTW but its not Fatal Fury.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Great article, thanks.

Not Garou 2. I’m surprised honestly, but that’s probably best. A true sequel would have impossibly high expectations. Maybe it will be considered if FF does well.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Its gonna be related to MOTW... They're already showing off that promo art with Rock and Kain... I know people think that art is unrelated to the game design, but would they really show that art if the new game has neither of those characters in it and/or is unrelated to the characters and events of MOTW? It seems unlikely they are going to go into the past and have Terry and co as youngsters and have this look like some kind of sequel to Fatal Fury 3.

Regardless of the direction they take, I'm actually glad to see this guy's interview. He seems really passionate about the series itself, he's been pitching ideas for a Fatal Fury game since 2014, and his career goes back to old SNK and the old games around 2000. If there's any shot at SNK making a modern FF game that respects the franchise and will be considered good by fans of the old games, it seems more likely with this guy running the process than if the idea was just handed off to a team of new recruits who hadn't grown up with the games.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think they really need to put a lot more effort into this title than any of their previous titles as of late and it sounds like they are gearing for that. Can't wait!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's going to be not MOTW2, but it may take place slightly before or after so it can incorporate events and characters from that game.

It's for the best that it's not MOTW2, since we've gotten glimpses of the original unfinished version, and nothing will substitute for that. I imagine they want to be free to do their own thing without all the pressure and baggage of the expectations around that.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Just to clarify, MOTW is Fatal Fury. It's officially canon to the Fatal Fury series. Fatal Fury is called Garou Densetsu in Japan. It was never intended to be a spin-off or separation, just an evolution of the series.

It not being "Garou 2" doesn't necessarily mean much other than it's not intended to be labeled as a direct sequel to it, but with Rock and Kain there, it's a solid guarantee it's going to be one regardless. Doesn't make sense to end MOTW on lots of cliffhangers for the characters and not continue it after finally getting a new FF game 23 years later.

What I'm getting from this is it's not going to be a carbon copy of what the original MOTW sequel was going to be and may feature more traditional Fatal Fury characters and mechanics, in addition to existing MOTW characters and new ones that may or may not be related to that unfinished sequel. So we may see something like both the TOP system, but also line mechanics and quick normal move combos when in close a la RB.

I also read that the game will be 3D, but will have an art style that's entirely unique to it compared to previous recent titles.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Just to clarify, MOTW is Fatal Fury. It's officially canon to the Fatal Fury series. Fatal Fury is called Garou Densetsu in Japan. It was never intended to be a spin-off or separation, just an evolution of the series.

It not being "Garou 2" doesn't necessarily mean much other than it's not intended to be labeled as a direct sequel to it, but with Rock and Kain there, it's a solid guarantee it's going to be one regardless. Doesn't make sense to end MOTW on lots of cliffhangers for the characters and not continue it after finally getting a new FF game 23 years later.

What I'm getting from this is it's not going to be a carbon copy of what the original MOTW sequel was going to be and may feature more traditional Fatal Fury characters and mechanics, in addition to existing MOTW characters and new ones that may or may not be related to that unfinished sequel. So we may see something like both the TOP system, but also line mechanics and quick normal move combos when in close a la RB.

I also read that the game will be 3D, but will have an art style that's entirely unique to it compared to previous recent titles.

That’s not really true. It’s part of the same series like how Street Fighter III is the same series as Street Fighter Zero but Garou was a clear and obvious departure from the “Fatal Fury” in every way other than Terry being in it. Gameplay went super Capcom-friendly, no line change, no fight at Bob’s, added backwards parries, etc.

Someone else here said it was kind of like Rage of Dragons in reverse. Instead of losing a licensed they added one. That’s not what really happened but it’s a story someone could convincingly tell. It feels like it’s been to Mexico and back.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Whatever departures there were with gameplay or characters from previous entries, it is still a mainline Fatal Fury game. It's not a spin-off or new series. Just like when they tacked on Real Bout at the beginning for RB1, Special, Dominated Mind, and 2. Still Fatal Fury, still mainline.

Radical changes to entries in any franchise don't make them separate from what's considered "mainline".

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
MOTW at best is a continuation of the story but told in a new series.
It has strong ties to the lore and characters but it's not Fatal Fury.
I could accept that it's the series that replaces Fatal Fury, but it's not a Fatal Fury game.