New Fatal Fury

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
MOTW at best is a continuation of the story but told in a new series.
It has strong ties to the lore and characters but it's not Fatal Fury.
I could accept that it's the series that replaces Fatal Fury, but it's not a Fatal Fury game.
Was street fighter III, which had almost an entirely new roster and several new gameplay features compared to the street fighter 2 and alpha series, not a street fighter game?

Was art of fighting 3, which had almost an entirely new roster and a complete overhaul of how the game played and felt compared to it's prior games, not an art of fighting game?

Was Tekken 3, which took place canonically 20 years in the future from Tekken 2, and had significant lineup, style and gameplay changes not a Tekken game?

How about other stuff that eschews the fundamental characteristics of the games that came before it - was fatal fury wild ambition not a fatal fury game? Samurai shodown 64 not a samurai shodown game?

Garou motw, aka fatal fury motw as the dreamcast release is called, is most definitely a fatal fury game in my book. It was just the latest evolution the game took. The series has a history of reinventing itself. Just look how hugely different fatal fury 3 was compared to fatal fury 2 and special, all the characters that were left out, all the new characters, new art style, new gameplay features, etc. Snk took a risk evolving the game with motw and it worked out, but the evolution doesn't mean it's not part of the fatal fury series, especially since snk, the creators of the game, consider it part of that series.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Are the KoF games Fatal Fury?
I mean, FF is where the name comes from.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
None of the games have the word Garou or Fatal Fury in the name and SNK doesn't describe KOF as part of the Fatal Fury series so I think that's a clear no.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
ffkof.png

AoF3 calls itself out as a side story but remains in the Series.
I don't know shit about tekken.
Wild Ambition keeps in the theme of the line sway. It just does it in a different way. It is FF.
Is dominated mind an official FF game? (IMO its dogshit)
Only the US version of garou got the FF name attached to it.
MOTW is part of the FF family but its not FF.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I don't see the art style being drastically different from KoF 15. They'll do minimal changes so they can both reuse a few character models from 15 and export any new characters they make into DLC for 15 or possibly 16.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I can feel the slight wind of a possible rustle here.
The question is... Is it canon?

Personally, I don't give a fuck - who plays fighting games for the "story"??? :spock:

Last edited:

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
The question is... Is it canon?

Personally, I don't give a fuck - who plays fighting games for the "story"??? :spock:
Only fighting game whose story is worth paying attention to is Tekken, since it's batshit insane

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
If that were true then Dead or Alive would be up there with Shakespeare.
Ooooh... I'd have to disagree there and nominate Advanced Variable Geo... waitresses battling out for world supremacy, sexual humiliation for the losers... that's some real highbrow shit right there.

No story isnt the most important part of a fighting game but presentation wise it helps. I didnt like the first ff or art of fighting yet the cut scenes got me to pay more attention to them over other street fighter clones back in the day.

I do think one of the reason why virtua fighter declined in popularity was because they didnt have any of the presentation that tekken had.

Same thing with street fighter ex. Those were excellent designs the best of the post alpha street fighters with interesting stories but skullomania aside no real attempt at exploring their personalities. Seen the endings they had?

Battle arena toshinden had great character designs but they didn........no wait it was really because the games were crap, that's why the franchise died.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
A friend commented on toshinden that each successive ps1 sequel liked worse graphically than the previous game. I had to agree with him. I still like the toshinden series for it's design and the nostalgia though, especially 3 where they really went off the rails on the characters, one guy is literally Michael Jackson with a sword.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
MOTW represents the start of a new chapter, but it clearly is part of the Fatal Fury franchise. Beyond that, who cares?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Two great characters wasted by SNK - White and Alfred. Love RBS: DM... shame there was never a Saturn port. Defintely one of the best fighters on the PSX.