New Last Blade Game Out NOW

Unfortunately, it's a pachislot game... starring an 18-year-old Akari and Juzo... yeah.

There are only two things I can take away from this:

1) Be careful what you wish for; that rumored MOTW sequel may turn out to be yet another pachislot spin-off.

2) Even if SNK Playmore drops the ball on every other game not named KOF, they'll survive as a pachislot developer (especially since pachinko brings in a lot of money; that could be what's been keeping SNKP afloat these past few years).

So, in case anyone's curious, below are the links to the web page and opening video:

http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/gekka/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZr06LDAO1M&feature=player_embedded

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I kinda hate you a little bit for making me really excited for a second, only to be let down.

But SNK/Playmore has been doing that for years. Zing!

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Yeah, i was all excited there, wondering how I'd missed the hype. Then I clicked on the thread :crying:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don't care if it's a pachislot game - I would love to have this in my house

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Luckily and thankfully my faith is so little now, that I knew it was bs before clicking. :D

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This game will probably make more money than both Last Blade fighting games combined. Times two.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I couldn't watch more than a minute of that video.
that was terrible.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
charles-barkley-savage-thumbcopy.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, at least they're actually using the IP for something...lol.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
The drawing style is hideous. Too bad such a great name as Gekka no Kenshi has to get raped for this.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
ohmigod, cautionary tale! The lesson is, people who aren't Japanese hate pachislot games.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
No, the lesson is that people who love particular IPs don't want to see those characters SOLELY to be used for pachislot. A fan of an IP they love has every right to be disappointed that the object of their appreciation is being used for pachislot while no new video games of worth are being developed that utilize them.

To many SNK fans, seeing those characters show up only in pachislot machines, dating sims and throwaway phone apps/games is a sign of IP armageddon.

Anyone can say a fan shouldn't feel entitled to those IPs but I don't fully agree with that viewpoint so I can't support it.

Make pachislot, SNK-P. Make pachislot and make money. Then make more games.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Someone here was selling a Metal Slug pachislot here awhile back (I think for like $200 or something). I think they were in NY. I wish I got that too. I love flashing lights. Damnit.

Yao

Quiz Detective
although I hate seeing my beloved Gekka no Kenshi like this, at least SNKP people still have the series on their minds. And since KOF XIII seems to turn out great, my wish for Last Blade 3 returned. I hope they do it, and I hope they do it well, cause both games for the NeoGeo were the best SNK ever did and the most stylish fighters ever.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
although I hate seeing my beloved Gekka no Kenshi like this, at least SNKP people still have the series on their minds. And since KOF XIII seems to turn out great, my wish for Last Blade 3 returned. I hope they do it, and I hope they do it well, cause both games for the NeoGeo were the best SNK ever did and the most stylish fighters ever.

I think most fans feel this way about their respective fave neglected SNK series.

LB is a great series (although one I'm admittedly not very good at) with awesome production values and, like Garou: MOTW, deserves a sequel. It seems like those three games were all very lovingly designed and had a ton of detail and thought that went into pretty much every aspect.

It's great to hear KOF XIII is getting tons of play and attention in arcades. I'm really hoping this is the start of SNK-P's return to true prominence.

aria

Former Moderator
ohmigod, cautionary tale! The lesson is, people who aren't Japanese hate pachislot games.

From what I understand, a lot of Japanese people don't really like them...

Someone over there told my they're basically what the Japanese equivalent of white trash sit and play with their paychecks --neglecting everything else (e.g. examples of women neglecting their children, etc).

That and parlors' infamous ties to Yakuza.

Yao

Quiz Detective
I'm really hoping this is the start of SNK-P's return to true prominence.

absolutely. Me too. There are still so many great games SNKP could produce and franchises they could bring back to life. It would be sad if it never happened because of financial reasons. And since fighting games have returned impressively in today's gaming world, it's now or never for SNKP.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No, the lesson is that people who love particular IPs don't want to see those characters SOLELY to be used for pachislot. A fan of an IP they love has every right to be disappointed that the object of their appreciation is being used for pachislot while no new video games of worth are being developed that utilize them.

To many SNK fans, seeing those characters show up only in pachislot machines, dating sims and throwaway phone apps/games is a sign of IP armageddon.

Anyone can say a fan shouldn't feel entitled to those IPs but I don't fully agree with that viewpoint so I can't support it.

Make pachislot, SNK-P. Make pachislot and make money. Then make more games.
Yeah, I like yours better.

Slobodan Milošević;3034121 said:
From what I understand, a lot of Japanese people don't really like them...

Someone over there told my they're basically what the Japanese equivalent of white trash sit and play with their paychecks --neglecting everything else (e.g. examples of women neglecting their children, etc).

That and parlors' infamous ties to Yakuza.
I think so. Pretty much. The pachinko parlors are everywhere, but I've never tried them.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
:lolz:
I can't wait til they make Windjammers Pachislot. God SNKP is sad. Do they not realize how loved Last Blade was as a series?

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
By whom? Not as many people as play pachislot games.

By most people on this site who like weapon fighting games, I suspect. In any case, what's the point of using an IP for decoration if the players don't have any idea what it is? Why even waste the time to create new artwork? You might as well reuse the old art, or just use a random smiley face or flower or something...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
By most people on this site who like weapon fighting games, I suspect.
Sure. We all know that. But that isn't very many people.

Even if you go to other fighting game enthusiast sites, like SRK, it probably wouldn't be very hard to find people who have never heard of Last Blade. And even easier to find people who had but don't care. We're a minority. If we weren't, there would have been a third Last Blade fighting game already. And a fourth, and maybe a fifth.

In any case, what's the point of using an IP for decoration if the players don't have any idea what it is?
Because they already own the IP. Because the designs are good and will attract more people than "a random smiley face or flower or something". Because using the IP in any capacity raises awareness of it, even if only marginally, which strengthens the IP.