New MacBook Pro owner; what are your apps/tips for a first time user?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Title says it all. Just copped a 13" MacBook Pro (2019 model) and not much else. I plan on getting a magic mouse asap, but wanted to know if any of you had pointers, useful accessories or worthwhile apps to recommend. Thanks! :multi_co:

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I would recommend the following Apps (but of course it depends what you want to use it for).

- Office 2016 / 365
- Parallels Desktop (Running Virtual Environments such as Windows 10).
- Handbreak (Video conversion)
- OpenEmu (Very good emulator)
- Final Cut (If you want to edit video).

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Tip 1: be gentle they break when you sneeze on them
Tip 2: when Apple inevitably says that they won't fix "out of warranty damage" or the repair bill is $450....
Go to a good 3rd party repair shop to fix it for $150.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Protip: Don't buy a Mac

Spoiler:
No, seriously, don't buy a mac

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
The most important thing is to make sure you regularly backup anything you want to keep.

From 2016 on, the hard drive(along with the memory and practically everything else) is soldered onto the logic board(motherboard). If something fails, good luck getting anything recovered. Not to mention the whole logic board would have to be replaced(and yes, it's expensive).

Shackleford

Banned
What's wrong with Macs?

Here's your answer....:down:

The most important thing is to make sure you regularly backup anything you want to keep.

From 2016 on, the hard drive(along with the memory and practically everything else) is soldered onto the logic board(motherboard). If something fails, good luck getting anything recovered. Not to mention the whole logic board would have to be replaced(and yes, it's expensive).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
MS Office is a good start. No one wants to receive a .pages file.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Protip: Don't buy a Mac

Spoiler:
No, seriously, don't buy a mac

Yup.

Step one, box it back up.

Step two...take it back, get a refund.

Step three...get a much cheaper laptop that will give you 99% of the same performance without the shit hype and bloated OS.

*EDIT*
I thought I'd add this is coming from a once Apple fanboy...

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sell or return that shit, get an equivalent Windows/Linux machine, pocket the $800 difference in price.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
lol at these ppl who can't afford a Mac.

Here's what I recommend you grab, but let me know what you're hoping to use the computer for and I can get more detailed:

FREE
BlackMagic Disc Speed Test
FileZilla or similar FTP client
Chrome or Firefox - I'd prob recommend FF at this point
OnyX - run this once every few months to clean up your system

NOT FREE:
Adobe Creative Cloud (don't get Final Cut. They've dumbed it down to the point where it's unusable IMO.)
Pixelmator - one time payment for a very good Photoshop clone
Camtasia
Logic Pro
MS Office

Everything else you need is already on the computer. That's one of the great things about MacOS.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Here's what I recommend you grab, but let me know what you're hoping to use the computer for and I can get more detailed:

FREE
BlackMagic Disc Speed Test
FileZilla or similar FTP client
Chrome or Firefox - I'd prob recommend FF at this point
OnyX - run this once every few months to clean up your system

NOT FREE:
Adobe Creative Cloud (don't get Final Cut. They've dumbed it down to the point where it's unusable IMO.)
Pixelmator - one time payment for a very good Photoshop clone
Camtasia
Logic Pro
MS Office

Everything else you need is already on the computer. That's one of the great things about MacOS.

For me, it's not even that, I don't care to be in their ecosphere and things are unusually more expensive on the mac front. And with people dual booting into windows anyway it makes me wonder why even do that? On top of that, macOS is still built on a Linux kernel isn't it? Why not just run a Linux box?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
For me, it's not even that, I don't care to be in their ecosphere and things are unusually more expensive on the mac front. And with people dual booting into windows anyway it makes me wonder why even do that? On top of that, macOS is still built on a Linux kernel isn't it? Why not just run a Linux box?

Mac OS is not and has never been built on the Linux kernel. It's built on the Mach kernel, which was designed to replace the FreeBSD kernel in Unix based systems.

The Linux kernel is Unix-like, not Unix-based. That means it stores files and settings in the same way as Unix systems, but it doesn't actually inherit any code or trademarks like Mac and FreeBSD do.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member

fami incoming with his correction

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
fami incoming with his correction

Hahaha!

You mean people who make smarter financial decisions?
No no I'd rather waste money on apples chic laptop design and equally wanky OS but at least you can feel like a hacker dual booting into Windows. #AppleLife

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I own a lot of macs... and no PC's...

... I also have nothing to add to this convo...

xROTx

PS. Bill Gates has a contract out on my life....

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I am running a 10 year old Gateway netbook. Any suggestions for me?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I am running a 10 year old Gateway netbook. Any suggestions for me?

Don't get a PC, get a Mac because at this rate it sounds like you might need all the help you can get.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

lol have fun paying out of your ass when your foxconn trash inevitable breaks and/or becomes obsolete in two years.

i owned an i3 imac before (2011-ish?) with maxed out RAM, and my shitty old AMD X64 ran circles around it. overpriced and underpowered.
nice 27" screen though, i give them that.

Last edited: