New Masterpiece Transformers announced: Sideswipe, Red Alert and Soundwave

Tokyo

JapheiBANNED
Masterpiece Optimus Prime is supposed to be shipping this month to Toys R Us.

Masterpiece Thundercracker ships in October.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hopefully Toys R Us will sell it online, because the selection at my local one is terrible. Even when I worked there years ago I'd see toy collectors come out empty handed. I hate it whenever there's something that's a TRU Exclusive and any time I go looking for it they never get it in. Not that somebody got there in the morning and grabbed them all, they just never get any. Unless the people stocking them keep them in "The Back".

Metalslug

Cham Cham's Banana,
20 Year Member
they re releasing optimus? Or is this something else?

Nevermind it's the prime with trailer. I have never seen any of these hasbro releases at a store. Are they really hard to find?

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
they re releasing optimus? Or is this something else?

Nevermind it's the prime with trailer.
It's also a lot smaller. Honestly, I prefer the original Masterpiece. Both versions have their advantages, but in the end, I think the original is just a much more impressive toy.

I do like that the new Optimus will be in scale with other Masterpieces going forward, but half of that is the fact that all Masterpieces going forward will be too small, imo.

As far as being hard to find in-store, some have been, and others have sat on shelves forever.

And yeah, you'll be able to get this on the Toys R Us web store. I got Rodimus there. The trick is, though, that it will come and go from the store multiple times as they get more in, but there's no telling how many times that will be before it's gone for good. So if you want one, grab one as soon as you see it.

Metalslug

Cham Cham's Banana,
20 Year Member
smaller than the original masterpiece version? Wow that bites...

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Atleast the new MP Sideswipe matches up pretty well with the original MP Prime (as far as cartoon continuity goes).
Give me a MP Mirage and I'll be happy.

Tokyo

JapheiBANNED
Atleast the new MP Sideswipe matches up pretty well with the original MP Prime (as far as cartoon continuity goes).
Give me a MP Mirage and I'll be happy.

Maybe next year on Mirage. They seem to have kicked up the number of figures dropping each year now.

MP-11 Starscream came out earlier this year and a Amazon exclusive repaint as Sunstorm is dropping this month in Japan. This is the year of the Masterpiece Transformer.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I can't believe they actuall done Soundwave awesome!! I wish they would do a MP Reflector he never got any love from the toy line except for the shitty mail off toy that sucked.

Last edited:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm going to have to pick up that Optimus Prime. I used to have an OG prime on display on my desk but I lost it in a move, so this may be a good replacement.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Here's a comparison shot of the two Masterpiece Optimus Primes. The new version is the shorter one.
025757122_025131360cd53255f2f1965d59142a04b116c830534d50204.jpg

The problem with the new version for me, besides being smaller, is that it is missing a lot of the little touches the first Masterpiece has. Like working shocks. And the original Masterpiece's floodlights are painted, while the new version's flood lights are the unpainted molded red plastic of the rest of the cab, which looks stupid. The first Masterpiece also has more die-cast metal in it. It has a lot more heft to it.

On the other hand, the new, smaller version does come with the trailer.

Here's a shot with both Masterpieces, along with the original Optimus toy from the 1980s (third tallest) and a few smaller versions.
r_mp-10-convoy-421.jpg

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Well, if anyone reading this thread is aware of when TRU's website gets updated, an update post here would be sweet. Definitely in if it only costs 100 or so.

Terrible that this one lacks some of those details that made the original stand out, but don't really feel like hunting down the original.

Also, I do like the proportions of this model better.

Last edited:

Tokyo

JapheiBANNED
Well the best part about the new Optimus coming out is the price tag $99.99 compared to $250 for the Japanese version of the same mold.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
MP10 is pretty cool, far more posability but as STK outlined so well, it's not a patch on the original. I prefer its looks a little bit but if you weigh the pros and cons of each up I think the original eclipses it with all the features.

I have MP4 and MP3, none of the others have really appealed to me, I think they overengineered MP1 and from then on realised they couldn't do the rest to that level. The new ones are pretty cool and they've said it's been a 'reboot' since MP10, but they are more like toys than masterpieces.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
7751841220_1c1555de0f_c.jpg

Optimus is out in Hong Kong now! He should hit the US any day now!
Sweet,i missed the original one not to mention how much resellers want for it.Not to mention "i'm not bother" how this version of optimus prime is smaller and i like the price as well.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Soundwave in full color:

TAK11481.jpg

If I had the money, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Seibertron.com is reporting that Masterpiece Thundercracker has shown up in US TRU stores.

I'm going hunting this weekend.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Love that Soundwave, where can I get one? Any good sites for that?

edit: holy shit they're expensive on amazon.
edit2: ordered.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Soundwave was my very first TR back when I was a kid, this is awesome! Honestly back then I felt SW was the coolest TR action figure 'cause it was the most articulated out of the first wave of toys that came out. Even after many years SW was way ahead of many other TRs.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Damn. Between the MP line and the Encore line, this year's shaping up to be a good year for G1 Transformers fans.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Man I hope that they redo Megatron next, his first masterpiece was a disappointment.