New MVS owner here! what should my first 5 purchases be???

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Its great with friends. The characters have many unique specials and its an all around fun game. It's one of the 3 main games that is played when there is a group of people. The other 2 are Windjammers and Twinkle Star Sprites. If you are going to play single player you may want to get something else.

Thanks for the insight. I definitely want the variety for when friends are over. Ill have a lot of opportunities to play multiplayer but lots of solo as well. The 161 in 1 cart should give me a solid base to figure out priorities. I have played alot of the games in the past (ms and ss) curious moreso about games like windjammers and magical drop that are lesser known outside of the neo community

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
So i just played legend of success joe for the first time.... wow.... lol

Ill never get that time back
Oh c'mon! It's a great game to play and laugh at :lolz:

There's a handful of those on the NG. I still like to fire them up once in a while. I started with a multicart. Did wonder with me. Tried out everything, and ended up buying every game.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Metal slug 3
Last Blade 2
Samurai Shodown 2
KOF 98
Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Oh and legend of success joe. :keke:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm new to the Neo scene and am slowly picking up genuine carts after getting the 120-in-1 multicart. So far I bought King of Fighters '98, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad and soon I'll hopefully get Blazing Star. Not a bad 5 to start with I don't think but there are so many great games to choose from.....

Update: Blazing Star has now been purchased and is on its way:)

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
My first five games were based on three criteria:

1) I like the game.
2) I could find one for sale.
3) It was in my price range.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'm new to the Neo scene and am slowly picking up genuine carts after getting the 120-in-1 multicart. So far I bought King of Fighters '98, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad and soon I'll hopefully get Blazing Star. Not a bad 5 to start with I don't think but there are so many great games to choose from.....

You got some of the best ones. Nice!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My first five games were based on three criteria:

1) I like the game.
2) I could find one for sale.
3) It was in my price range.

Exactly. Beggers can't be choosers in this market.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Now that he has the multi-cart, out of all of the games mentioned, I want to know his opinions of them :)

We know his opinion of Legend of Success Joe :)

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Kof '98
Samurai Shodown II ( or IV, both are great games)
Last Blade
Metal Slug 1, x or 3
Fatal Fury Special ( or Real Bout Special)

all are essential neo geo games and they are not very expensive

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Now that he has the multi-cart, out of all of the games mentioned, I want to know his opinions of them :)

We know his opinion of Legend of Success Joe :)

Here's the top 5 games so far that have drawn me in on the multicart that ive never played before. (Have an aes and played most of the samsho and metal slugs)

1.viewpoint - this game blew me away with great balance excellent music and i havent even tried 2 player yet. That music just kicks ass though

2. Neo turf masters - had my best friend over who knows nothing about neo and was very skeptical of me making some retarded purchase by getting this arcade cab. We started this game up and played for 3 hours straight. Hes bringing a case of beer over tuesday to do it up again. So addicted

3. magical drop 3 - great puzzle game i know will be 2 player mayhem, havent had a chance to do that yet but ive put some time into single player, very hectic fun

4. Neo drift out - this game was a sleeper for me as im not a big racing fan usually, its just a blast

5. Sengoku 2001 - had to list this as ive played it with a few different people now and its been enjoyed. Love beat em ups, doesnt quite have the soundtrack of streets of rage but fun none the less as its different

Im still working away at checking through games. I have played maybe 1/3rd of them if that

Last edited:

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Just to let you know, if you have a Unibios in your system, check out MD3 in Japanese. In U.S., MD3's sound effects are pretty much all the same. A lot of generic voices, etc. In JPN, MD3's characters all have unique voices that fit their pictures and it also unlocks a new gameplay mode, Adventure mode. Once you know how to play, you don't need to read Japanese to enjoy it.

And I fully agree,Viewpoint is a blast, although frustratingly hard :D NTM is one I am still trying to get a copy of, but more casually looking than anything else. It is common enough, and I am not a huge golf fan, but damn people seem to love that game:)

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Just to let you know, if you have a Unibios in your system, check out MD3 in Japanese. In U.S., MD3's sound effects are pretty much all the same. A lot of generic voices, etc. In JPN, MD3's characters all have unique voices that fit their pictures and it also unlocks a new gameplay mode, Adventure mode. Once you know how to play, you don't need to read Japanese to enjoy it.

And I fully agree,Viewpoint is a blast, although frustratingly hard :D NTM is one I am still trying to get a copy of, but more casually looking than anything else. It is common enough, and I am not a huge golf fan, but damn people seem to love that game:)

Yea i have unibios and have been playing md3 in japanese, last time i played was the first time i tried adventure mode. Ill be giving that another go next time i get into single player with it.

Viewpoint ive made it to the 3rd stage. I play in console mode and only use 4 credits then start over. Its definitely tough and even with unlimited lives i can see it being difficult because of the checkpoints. But im not afraid of a good challenge!

kof1996

n00b
some of my favourites that are reasonably priced are metal slug, shock troopers, samurai showdown 3, last blade and nam 1975. good luck

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Wind Jammers if you have friends.
Shock Troopers.

Don't have 3 more at the moment, but those are good starters I think :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Test games via emulator and decide for yourself.

Best advice ever.

However, if you're in real need for guidance, look no further I have the best list ever, affordable and top quality.

1. Fatal Fury Special
2. Samurai Shodown II
3. Metal Slug
4. Magical Drop II
5. Neo Turf Masters

All top titles, varied and not very expensive. Now you can shuffle replacements like for instance.

1. Garou MOTW
2. Last Blade 2
3. Shock Troopers
4. Magical Drop 3
5. Neo Turf Masters

A more robust start but you're gonna spend more money. If you're a fighting fiend you can go modern or go classic.

Modern
1. Real Bout Special or RB2
2. KOF '98 or KOF 2000
3. Samurai Shodown III or IV
4. Last Blade II
5. Garou MOTW

Classic

1. Fatal Fury Special
2. Samurai Shodown II
3. World Heroes Perfect
4. Karnov's Revenge
5. Breaker's Revenge (kinda in between old school and modern)

We could go on all day about this, my suggestion, emulate every title in this thread and you'll end up finding your own groove.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I'd have to say your first few games should be:
Magical Drop II
Bust a Move
World Heroes Perfect
Magical Drop III
and Mutation Nation

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
2 Magical Drops...2 games out of 5 games are gonna be Magical Drops...but wait...here comes Bust-A-Move...

DarkRider

n00b
I just got a 4 slot machine less then 3 weeks ago. It came with Metal slug, Windjammers, baseball stars 2 and samurai showdown. The system isn't even in working shape yet and I made my first 5 additions to it with metal slug 2, metal slug 4, shamurai showdown 3, baseball stars 1 and aero fighters 2. It's bad, and I already have more then those on the way. Meanwhile I'm starting at a newly repainted control panel thinking dry faster...

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I don't know about others, but I found BS1 to be boring. I really enjoy Baseball Stars 2 and 2020 Baseball, however. Congrats on having it come with Windjammers :) I love that game and it seems to be increasing hard to find. It was never a rare game, but collectors/gamers don't want to give it up once they have it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Bust a Move is a must have, but watch out for fakes. It seems like one of the most commonly faked games on MVS.