New Neo Geo Owner

chromesphere

New Challenger
Ive reached the end of my patience with the black arcade style controller for various reasons and decided to make a new controller. My sons qbert controller (pictured above) is really nice, small, comfortable. I decided to make one like his for my AES. Mine is slightly smaller.

Same process as the qbert controller. They are pretty simple to put together and although not perfect, they look decent and they are small and relatively light, which is good because i play with the controller on my lap. The black controller is so heavy its ridiculous.

I ransacked all the parts off the old black controller, they are still good, sanwa JLW (not ideal but a really nice joystick all the same) and sanwa soft touch buttons. Total cost was about $20. I had wood in the garage and a spare piece of perspex from my sons controller.

Photo of the end result and a photo of the controller placed where it belongs.

20180817_225436.jpg
20180817_225524.jpg

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Ive reached the end of my patience with the black arcade style controller for various reasons and decided to make a new controller. My sons qbert controller (pictured above) is really nice, small, comfortable. I decided to make one like his for my AES. Mine is slightly smaller.

Same process as the qbert controller. They are pretty simple to put together and although not perfect, they look decent and they are small and relatively light, which is good because i play with the controller on my lap. The black controller is so heavy its ridiculous.

I ransacked all the parts off the old black controller, they are still good, sanwa JLW (not ideal but a really nice joystick all the same) and sanwa soft touch buttons. Total cost was about $20. I had wood in the garage and a spare piece of perspex from my sons controller.

Photo of the end result and a photo of the controller placed where it belongs.

View attachment 51271
View attachment 51272

That is really awesome! :buttrock:

I know some prefer to change out the switches within the stick itself, but the shell/case is usually pretty comfortable for most. Out of curiosity, what bothered you about the stock aes arcade controller?

chromesphere

New Challenger
Sorry i should say i dont mean the original, official black arcade controller, scroll up to the previous picture to see the controller

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sorry i should say i dont mean the original, official black arcade controller, scroll up to the previous picture to see the controller

Oh ok cool. I see the one from the first page now. I thought you meant the original default aes stick (or maybe the kidney bean one).

chromesphere

New Challenger
Nah i like those they are good. I use a kidney bean as my secondary.

Trying to decide what to do with the shell of the old controller...dam thing takes up some valuable real estate lol

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Nah i like those they are good. I use a kidney bean as my secondary.

Trying to decide what to do with the shell of the old controller...dam thing takes up some valuable real estate lol

First off, you have an excellent collection! And your skills are most impressive. Could you tell me where you got that black stick from, and if you're thinking about getting rid of yours, I might be interested in it. Cheers.

chromesphere

New Challenger
Im ULTRA CRITICAL when it comes to diy stuff. It kinda sucks because im never happy with what ive built :(

The arcade controller panel was bought locally (ozstick.com.au). Thanks for the interest but it would be impossible to post it to you (international), it weights like 4 kgs :)

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Im ULTRA CRITICAL when it comes to diy stuff. It kinda sucks because im never happy with what ive built :(

The arcade controller panel was bought locally (ozstick.com.au). Thanks for the interest but it would be impossible to post it to you (international), it weights like 4 kgs :)

No worries. I understand completely about international shipping. :annoyed::annoyed: Cheers.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Same, i don’t to a lot of soldering but when i do i tend to get a bit too OCD about looks, even if it works perfectly... though im kinda realising quality mods require both skill AND good tools. Crap tools are crap lol

I always get too high beforehand and burn my thumb or finger on the iron, BRAH

chromesphere

New Challenger
though im kinda realising quality mods require both skill AND good tools. Crap tools are crap lol

Absolutely! The old adage "a bad workman blames his tools" is a load of horse shit. You have to have the right tools (and good quality) and the knowledge and skill to use them.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Absolutely! The old adage "a bad workman blames his tools" is a load of horse shit. You have to have the right tools (and good quality) and the knowledge and skill to use them.

Not at all.

A good workman has the right tools for the job and knows how to use them.

Being one such workman I take good care of my tools and in return they take care of me.

They are my bread and butter after all.

chromesphere

New Challenger
Decided to put those loose MVS carts into something. I didnt want to spend much money (Tonnes of things i would rather spend my money on then 'fluff'), and shockboxes shipped to Australia are pretty expensive.

Its not perfect, they are shipping boxes so a little irregular in shape, but they look ok in my opinion.

For anyone wanting to do something like this the boxes are "BX6" size. Tonnes on ebay and they are very cheap.

One annoying thing, they dont fit perfectly (like...a couple of mm too big...), so unfortunately you have to stuff around cutting and gluing the internal flaps.

They dont slip around inside even with that extra space either side because they are tight from front to back.

The labels are just an A4 sticker sheet printed on our color laserjet and cut to size.

Anyway, they turned out looking decent and were very cheap. Like...$9 total...

Attachments

• 20180906_211712.jpg
    20180906_211712.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180906_211817.jpg
    20180906_211817.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180906_211910.jpg
    20180906_211910.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Decided to put those loose MVS carts into something. I didnt want to spend much money (Tonnes of things i would rather spend my money on then 'fluff'), and shockboxes shipped to Australia are pretty expensive.

Its not perfect, they are shipping boxes so a little irregular in shape, but they look ok in my opinion.

For anyone wanting to do something like this the boxes are "BX6" size. Tonnes on ebay and they are very cheap.

One annoying thing, they dont fit perfectly (like...a couple of mm too big...), so unfortunately you have to stuff around cutting and gluing the internal flaps.

They dont slip around inside even with that extra space either side because they are tight from front to back.

The labels are just an A4 sticker sheet printed on our color laserjet and cut to size.

Anyway, they turned out looking decent and were very cheap. Like...$9 total...
They look pretty good.
I think I'll do the same with my loose carts.

Hopefully I can get uniform sized boxes. xD

chromesphere

New Challenger
I was keen on an mvsx 2 years ago when they were announced but due to other commitments never picked one up. But I've had it in the back of my mind and started researching it again. Did not know about hylox and how easy it is to hack and couldn't resist any longer.
It's a great cab and I could fill pages with what i like about it, so its actually much quicker to say what i dont like about it. The list is much smaller. 2 things
1) this isn't a fault of the manufacturer but there are some essential games the hack doesn't work with (tmnt for one)
2) the position of the screen in relation to the control deck. Basically there's not enough space between them. So, if I raise the arcade machine up to a good height for viewing the controls are too high. I found a decent compromise with my diy riser which is simple but turned out pretty good and doesn't look out of place at all. The riser cost about 20 bux worth of wood and a spray can.

That's the newest acquisition and it's bloody good! I'm a father of 3 young children and I work 2 jobs and as much as I love the original gear, right now I don't have the time for it. It seems every time I use my aes there's some issue. The mvsx is as simple as turning it on, im in a game in less then a minute.
20220619_172954.jpg

Attachments

• 20220619_164025.jpg
    20220619_164025.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

chromesphere

New Challenger
Cheers!

There are no risers on amazon, and the only other place i could think that would ship to Australia is the MVSX shop page. But to get it shipped, it would have cost over $200. Which seems like alot for a basic wooden box.

Im not that good with woodworking, impressed when i can manage a box thats square, but this one turned out great. Its very solid, a good height and, well, square. I like how it sort of matches the black bar of the control panel as well (an unintended characteristic).

I went with black because i figured, trying to match red would be a bit of a pain, and a spray can of black paint costs $7.