Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
ba3D2Kh.jpg

Download games with online play?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
It's going to be a SNK Antstream. Mark my words.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
If SNK is trying to appeal to hardcore enthusiasts (like many of us), I can see this being an FPGA cart/cd based solution with an online option for those less inclined to purchase physical hardware. Hell, if SNK doesn't jump on this bandwagon themselves I can see a Neo solution being the next thing Analogue tackles (I don't count their woodie CMVS) after they release the PCE FPGA next year.

But who knows - SNK (classic and modern) has never understood the broader console market so it could be another mini-console device with bad emulation and a cart slot. They've released or licensed so much crap over the years who knows what they're thinking.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I think it's gonna be the easiest, lowest cost thing they can do - put the guts of the Arcade Stick Pro or the Neo Mini into a Mini "console" box (that probably won't even be shaped like an AES) with wifi connectivity for leaderboards and MAYBE multiplayer.

I WISH they would invest in something actually interesting like an FPGA implementation but that'd cost too much. Plus, they already built up an emulation platform with menu navigation, I don't see them retooling that much if at all. As-is, I'll continue to not care about any of the recent hardware releases. It'd take a lot to get me to start caring (maybe if M2 was involved, then I'd have faith in the emulation quality)

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
FPGA anything from them is dreaming. What would be the point of offering something like this if they're not going to offer some sort of AES/MVS/CD backwards compatibility? And why would they? They don't make any money on used game sales. They say "passionate fans" which just means anyone who's into Metal Slug and console gamers as in anyone who wants to play Slug on a TV, it'll probably just be something like the stick they released but with a web portal where you can pay them money to buy the games they still own as well as buy new games and play on your TV. If it does take anything physical it'll probably be some blu ray disc that they'll sell in themed shock boxes with multiple character variants.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So very interesting but lets just wait and see. I kinda want an Amico just because how bizarre it is and for the new Earthworm Jim.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
So very interesting but lets just wait and see. I kinda want an Amico just because how bizarre it is and for the new Earthworm Jim.

10 bucks says that game will be ported to the Switch after the Amico fails miserably.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
10 bucks says that game will be ported to the Switch after the Amico fails miserably.

Possibly. I just like weird hardware and it's gonna be inexpensive.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
They say "passionate fans" which just means anyone who's into Metal Slug and console gamers as in anyone who wants to play Slug on a TV

Whats wrong with Metal Slug, home consoles, and playing on a TV? I'm a "Passionate Fan" and got into Neo Geo because of Metal Slug.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Just another plastic form factor for them to sell their romz in again

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just another plastic form factor for them to sell their romz in again

If they could just make a mini home console then they will sell many more than that monstrous stick thing or that even more terrible mini cab. Just make the mini home console and be done with the mini fad, if it even is one anymore...

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
This news is scary

:help:
#HELPSNK

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Whats wrong with Metal Slug, home consoles, and playing on a TV? I'm a "Passionate Fan" and got into Neo Geo because of Metal Slug.

I’m surprised you didn’t catch onto his point, because it’s pretty true. Imagine a total casual, learning of the new Neo Geo garbage through Metal Jeebus or MadLittlePixel, they own no SNK hardware or original games, they see Metal Slug and some other “entry level” Neo titles on one of these SNK emulation boxes and they think “ZOMG! That’s for me! I can play Metal Slug and these other cool retro games on something SNK made and play it on my 75” OLED TV!” That is the crowd that these are for, and that was his whole point.

“Passionate fan” for SNK is now just anyone who will purchase yet another reskinned emulation station. People who may be enthusiastic about the popular titles, but their interest in SNK, Neo Geo hardware, and the larger library is skin deep. They are completely out of touch with the community that supported SNK when that name had clout.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo fans have the shortest fucking memories outside of an Alzheimer's ward.

We JUST got what was being hyped to be the next Neo-Geo "console", and it was that Pro Stick thing. "OH! The Neo-Geo 2 is coming!!!" Say hi to the Neo Fucking Mini. So settle the fuck down, you spaztics.

"Oh, I wonder if it will use cartridges, or--" Are you fucking kidding me up here right now? Are you seriously this diminished?

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
I am expecting an Android based device with less 3D power than the Switch for around 500 USD.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Neo geo x
Neo geo mini
Arcade stick pro
Mvsx
Now this

When does it end? Can we just get a backwards compatible Aes 2 or something. I don't know what would actually make fans happy. Its been milked too hard.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
About a ton of Neo Geo X new old stock boxes have been found buried in a nearby desert during a royal sand dune racing with Nasser Al-Attiyah. Without further ado SNK was bought, the consoles excavated and subsequently rebranded with a black "Nam" magic marker into: Neo Geo Series X! The Future is NOW! ...and then some!

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I’m surprised you didn’t catch onto his point, because it’s pretty true. Imagine a total casual, learning of the new Neo Geo garbage through Metal Jeebus or MadLittlePixel, they own no SNK hardware or original games, they see Metal Slug and some other “entry level” Neo titles on one of these SNK emulation boxes and they think “ZOMG! That’s for me! I can play Metal Slug and these other cool retro games on something SNK made and play it on my 75” OLED TV!” That is the crowd that these are for, and that was his whole point.

“Passionate fan” for SNK is now just anyone who will purchase yet another reskinned emulation station. People who may be enthusiastic about the popular titles, but their interest in SNK, Neo Geo hardware, and the larger library is skin deep. They are completely out of touch with the community that supported SNK when that name had clout.

Ok I get it now. Yeah that's a very true point.

SNK doesn't care that we drop thousands on 20-30 year old home carts and isn't going to release anything for us. I've always thought it was weird that they don't see the potential there. If they made a console that supported home carts and dropped an official SSVP that would be huge. Sadly this will be another emulation box with wifi, and people will love it.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
If this is another "service" to stream games.... Just another waste if time.