New SNK Console in 2021

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’d be happy with something that was exactly like the Neo Geo X but with all the shit parts fixed and a means to buy any ROMs you wanted. I have no idea WTF anyone does with a teeny little arcade machine. Shit is so stupid…

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Ha! Yeah, tell me what that will be worth in 20 years.

There is no premium gaming experience today. The whole thing is mainstream. Video cards that drop in price like Nikola stock are part of the reason. Most of the stuff in the Neo wasn’t particularly cutting edge when they made it, it was the way it was packaged that made it special.

Similarly, Blu-ray is way better than Laserdisc but the LD experience was premium as fuck. Hand built copper chassis, black lacquer, gold plating, $150 for a single title, thousands for a player. There’s nothing like it today no matter what you charge. From PS5 to Chromecast, it’s all the same plastic bullshit by comparison.
It was definitely cutting edge for home hardware. The marketing matched the product (except for the whole 4D nonsense). Nothing, be it console or computer, could sniff that level of power and quality when it came to gaming. Arcade-wise, it was high tier, and arguably cutting edge for 1989 when it was developed.

But you're right that premium gaming is mainstream today. Even moreso as today's consoles, while hyperoptimized for gaming, are just running modified PC hardware with x86 CPUs and AMD GPUs. Back in the day, you'd rarely see any PC running off of a beefy Motorola 68000 processor with a Yamaha sound chip right out of the gate.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
It was definitely cutting edge for home hardware. The marketing matched the product (except for the whole 4D nonsense). Nothing, be it console or computer, could sniff that level of power and quality when it came to gaming. Arcade-wise, it was high tier, and arguably cutting edge for 1989 when it was developed.

But you're right that premium gaming is mainstream today. Even moreso as today's consoles, while hyperoptimized for gaming, are just running modified PC hardware with x86 CPUs and AMD GPUs. Back in the day, you'd rarely see any PC running off of a beefy Motorola 68000 processor with a Yamaha sound chip right out of the gate.
Except the Atari ST and the Amiga .

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
The funny thing is, given that people who care about 16bit games are already starting to drop like flies and the shortage of computer hardware, I actually suspect that a high end PC today will be worth more in 20 years than Neo Geo hardware will be in 20 years. The same shit happened with the Atari 2600. There used to be a dumb nostalgic collector's market, but then all the people who cared about it either died or got too old to care. Same thing's going to happen with the Neo. Kids don't give two fucks about it. No one's going to care about it in 20-30 years. Doesn't help that emulation and SD card solutions have made the software functionally worthless.
Ah, no, sorry, not gonna happen. PC hardware doesn't hold its value, let alone increase, not unless you've got something that was one of a kind or a one off that's desirable for some reason (and honestly, I cant think of anything PC related that is). Maybe if you had a Apple kit or something, yes, but PC? Nah. I used to hold onto all my old hardware for 25+ years of building PCs, and it wasn't worth squat. A few cents here or there if you had the right CPU and wanted the gold content. And what are you talking about with the 2600? Go poke around atariage.com and then get back to me.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Except the Atari ST and the Amiga .
I suppose they could sniff it, but there's no way they could match the 2D performance of the Neo 1 to 1 for gaming. Smaller color palettes and less ability to animate smoothly. Even then later 32-bit Amiga hardware couldn't based off of their console release (although it did have higher resolution).

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I suppose they could sniff it, but there's no way they could match the 2D performance of the Neo 1 to 1 for gaming. Smaller color palettes and less ability to animate smoothly. Even then later 32-bit Amiga hardware couldn't based off of their console release (although it did have higher resolution).
I know but they are also 5 years older then the Neo Geo . And not really intended as a games machine (Atari ST). Amiga was planned as a game system.
The AGA updates for the Amiga were nothing special and to little to late. The actual real planned upgrades were never released.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Ah, no, sorry, not gonna happen. PC hardware doesn't hold its value, let alone increase, not unless you've got something that was one of a kind or a one off that's desirable for some reason (and honestly, I cant think of anything PC related that is). Maybe if you had a Apple kit or something, yes, but PC? Nah. I used to hold onto all my old hardware for 25+ years of building PCs, and it wasn't worth squat. A few cents here or there if you had the right CPU and wanted the gold content. And what are you talking about with the 2600? Go poke around atariage.com and then get back to me.
PC hardware is gold. Look up some prices for early 80ties systems. It needs to brand named and iconic. Your random run of the mill 286 wont fetch you much dollaridoes.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

That's what I was saying way up there. The key hardware wasn't state of the art, but the implementation was. The Mega Drive has a 68k and a Z80 just like the Neo...but that's like comparing a £9,000 Ford Fiesta rental car to a £400,000 series winning works World Rally car. They have the same longblock and shell but...no fucking contest whatsoever. What's premium about it cost more than the basic thing. A single Neo Geo game cost as much as an entire Mega Drive, usually much more.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
PC hardware is gold. Look up some prices for early 80ties systems. It needs to brand named and iconic. Your random run of the mill 286 wont fetch you much dollaridoes.
He was talking about "a high end PC today will be worth more in 20 years than Neo Geo hardware will be in 20 years" and I said past 25, which would be around 1996. Yes, if you're talking actual 1981 IBM PC model, sure, I can see stuff like that being worth some bucks. Gold? Plated, maybe 😉

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
There are for sure certain sound cards, video cards, etc that people want, even mice and keyboards. Certain Macs will catch at least a few hundred but %99.99 of all PC hardware is literally just garbage, even most of the gamer shit. Earlier home computers like certain MSXs, Commodores, NECs, are probably worth more than almost anything than ever ran Windows XP. I'd suspect SGI's are still worth money to collectors even though they have no use anymore but those aren't really "PCs" exactly. I've never seen one run a game, it was always Maya or something. Some PC gear gains value just because it has some legacy use and there isn't a current replacement but this isn't due to any collectardation.

Compare this to Neo home cart prices...no contest. The Neo is the only system where if you bought every game ever made as they came out new you actually would have made money.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
If you adjust for inflation the Neo doesn't look nearly as good, either.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Adjusting of inflation is something people do for YouTube videos. It doesn’t really make sense in real life and that goes double for electronics.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just popping in to see if they have any new consoles yet or if this is just more repackaged old games housed in more worthless, dust collecting plastic shit?

I got a neo-geo x back in the day, looked solid in the photos but in person it was a light, flimsy piece of trash and the analogue stick wore down after 2 days of casual play.

SNK can SMD

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Real question is, where the heck is the announcement for this supposed Neo-Geo 3? X-mas season is coming up and there hasn't been a peep since it was first announced to be a thing a long time ago.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A friend of mine on reddit says that the new Neo Geo will be unveiled this week at Dealey Plaza in Dallas by none other than JFK Jr.

People are already gathering for the big drop.

Fygee

20 Year Member
So here we are, at the end of 2021. Not a single snippet about the supposed Neo-Geo 3 new console (or whatever it'll be), despite multiple claims it would be revealed at the end of the year.

Wondering if this thing is dead/vaporware.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
What happened to the “big red” neo geo mini? I thought that would be out by Christmas?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
What happened to the “big red” neo geo mini? I thought that would be out by Christmas?
Hey whats up Ralfakick, are you talking about this one or the older “christmas edition” variant?

image.png.6e8ea6da080d5bc0b8ceb1607488f981.png