New SNK Handheld [Official...believe it or not]

nightc1

n00b
IF this is really £500, then I can easily pass. If it's $80 and it lets you load your own roms then it could be a step above the Dingoo A320 due to the clicky stick.

As for the PSP, the lack of a real dpad takes away some of the fun of playing classics (legally or not) on it. That was what made me so interested in the Dingoo when the chinese systems actually started getting good. Plus the Dingoo actually was a very portable system (close to the GBA Micro in size) and unlike the PSP the Dingoo had a native resolution of 320x240.

But the price, if true, is a dealbreaker. I'd rather just buy a cab for that money (or build a mame cab for less) and continue to use the Dingoo for portable neo fun.

So my expectations are super low... but I could be interested in the perfect storm of price, ability to add games yourself, other compatible emus being available, and so on.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
From what i saw it will cost more than 600 us dollars. WTF are they smoking when they decide on prices for there systems?

Even back then the systems had such outrages prices.

No retro gaming on the go is worth more than 100 usd...

hexcrass

n00b
I've heard it suggested that the price in that story was meant to be a joke, reminiscent of the old days when the AES was $700 or whatever.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
From what i saw it will cost more than 600 us dollars. WTF are they smoking when they decide on prices for there systems?

Even back then the systems had such outrages prices.

No retro gaming on the go is worth more than 100 usd...

What kind of idiot would pay that kind of money for a console?

Oh yeah...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They want to cash in on the early adopters, just like any other gaming hardware manufacturers, before an inevitable price cut.

dan3skate

Quiz Detective
Im putting my money on this being a joke more then anything. Ten days till I hear the "April Fools" story posted....

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
Really? Is it that bad of an idea? I use a PSP to play emulators, but it just doesn't feel right. If this were equal or better than original PSP I'd give it a shot, so long as there's wireless multiplayer

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
iwanttobelieve1.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
iMame, or GTFO.

Blaze hardware, for that price? Yeah, riiiiight.

smccd

New Challenger
I'm a bit skeptical of this. The four shoulder buttons are pretty much useless for classic Neo games.
Are they future-proofing for future game releases? Or is it just a fake?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think they are using this as some sort of viral marketing for their actual handheld device the shitty Game Gadget.

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
I think they are using this as some sort of viral marketing for their actual handheld device the shitty Game Gadget.

You're probably right. I was looking at the Game Gadget, though and if i recall there weren't as many buttons. IMO an open source handheld is a great idea, but it always comes down to community support. It looks like it's already pulling a bad rep, which is tough to hear because this is just going to bring down the NeoGeo name.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm a bit skeptical of this. The four shoulder buttons are pretty much useless for classic Neo games.
Are they future-proofing for future game releases? Or is it just a fake?

No, it just proves this is a junky general purpose handheld with some Neo Geo branding to make it seem less junky, that can run many kinds of emulators that will just come pre-packed with a short list of crummy Neo Geo games.

... Or yeah it's a fake.

You're better off spending that money on AI's CMVS. Reminds me, the first game (and only one I have right now) I bought for my PSV is the SNK Arcade Collection (PSP). Plays great thanks to the new and improved dpad - Sony's best thus far (comes close to the Sega Saturn's).

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Fuck, they're gouging the hell outta people for those extension cords.

smccd

New Challenger
From their press release at www.neogeox.com:

"This Limited Edition handheld console"

I like how they're trying to use scare tactics on potential early adopters. It's limited guys, so pay up! Though there's probably nothing stopping them from producing a lot of them and, like many posters have said, lower the price afterwards.