New Star Wars stuff announced

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
JFC. They used the thrawn voice actor as the live actor. Thrawn has a Dad bod....
Where is that disney magic effects?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
JFC. They used the thrawn voice actor as the live actor. Thrawn has a Dad bod....
Where is that disney magic effects?
Thrawn is in his 50s or 60s in this show and it's not like he was ever known as some massive physical threat. He's a leader and strategist.

He does sort of look like someone painted Elon Musk blue, though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thrawn is in his 50s or 60s in this show and it's not like he was ever known as some massive physical threat. He's a leader and strategist.

He does sort of look like someone painted Elon Musk blue, though.

Naw man... Naw.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Wow, they really outdid themselves this time.

Probably the worst, most pointless D+ Star Wars to date.

Was that about 12 minutes of plot stretched out to 8 episodes?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wow, they really outdid themselves this time.

Probably the worst, most pointless D+ Star Wars to date.

Was that about 12 minutes of plot stretched out to 8 episodes?
You're nuts, man. This was way, way better than Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, or any season of The Mandalorian (especially season 3). It wasn't as good as Andor but they literally spent a quarter of a billion dollars on a single season of Andor.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nothing happened!

As much as I love the character and the way Dawson portrays her (and fuckin Thrawn baybay!!!) I have to agree.

Nearly all 8 episodes were a waste. We got to see some cool stuff like live action Lothal, Ezra, Huyang, Sabine, Thrawn, more info on the origin of the Night Sisters, etc. Cool stuff.

But not nearly enough progression. When I saw it was the finale and it was only 50 minutes long, I thought "yep... its gonna be a damn cliffhanger type ending" and sure enough. smh.

What really irks me is the whole thing with Baylen Skoll. Ray Stevenson is dead so they are either going to recast him or cut his story to fit Shin Hati's character or something.

Ive always said that TV show creators/writers should act like they get ONE season and thats it. Tell your story. Dont fill it with bullshit. Get to the good stuff and quickly. I liked this show. I did, and its better than Obi Wan and Boba Fett, but it is NOT better than Mandalorian. Maybe better than Mando season 3, but Season 1 and 2 shit all over Ahsoka and absolutely no one can touch the perfection of Andor.

Sadly the show was a bit of a let down. Nothing else they should have gotten at least 2 more episodes to make it a round 10 count, they would have had two more hours to flesh out the story.

famicommander

15 Year Member
-Nightsisters are confirmed to still be alive (Palpatine slaughtered every known Nightsister previously) and from the other galaxy, Morgan is confirmed to be a descendant
-we saw the Force Gods of Mortis (the Owl and the statues), which is probably something to do with what Baylan is doing there, and they are apparently from the same world as the original Nightsisters
-Ahsoka processed the trauma of her mentor becoming space Hitler
-Ezra and Thrawn returned to the main galaxy
-Ahsoka and Sabine are stranded in the other galaxy with Shin and Baylan
-Sabine became a Jedi and her blood relatives were all wiped out in the purge
-Huyang is confirmed alive
-Hera's son is confirmed to be force sensitive
-Kaz's father is apparently an Imperial traitor

More relevant plot happened in this show than all three seasons of Mando combined. They didn't answer every question but that's because they actually bothered to ask some rather than just having a dude wander around getting shot near a baby.

lithy

20 Year Member
So basically the show was a setup for other media for people who watched Rebels.

I have so many complaints about how stupid everyone in this show is, but I'll stick with one at a time.

Actual show spoilers below so I'll toss it in a tag.

Sabine's totally believable force arc.

Step 1. Not being able to jiggle a coffee mug with the force
Step 2. Being separated from her master for half of the show
Step 3. Being told by Ahsoka to "train her mind and train her body"
Step 4. 5 minutes later after no actual training takes place she can force push Ezra across a massive gap up to the Chimaera and suddenly looks halfway competent simultaneously wielding a lightsaber and blaster.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So basically the show was a setup for other media for people who watched Rebels.

I have so many complaints about how stupid everyone in this show is, but I'll stick with one at a time.

Step 4. 5 minutes later after no actual training takes place she can force push Ezra across a massive gap up to the Chimaera and suddenly looks halfway competent simultaneously wielding a lightsaber and blaster.
Every Star Wars show or movie assumes you've seen other Star Wars shows or movies. That's literally how a shared universe works. Rebels is a huge part of the Star Wars canon.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

She's had some training. Besides, major characters taking big leaps in force ability in a short amount of time is nothing new in Star Wars.

Force pushing is n00b level force usage anyways.

She's a Mandolorian warrior. They're kind of good with this whole combat thing. She's wielded the Dark Saber in Rebels, and had some training under Ahsoka. She's just a bit better at it now that she's got some force attunement going.

I swear, some people get more enjoyment out of cynical criticism than actually enjoying shows for what they are and enjoying the ride.
Nothing happened!

Did you even pay attention when you watched it? A whole lot of things happened. Fami covered the lion's share of them already.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sabine being able to wield the force better after she found Ezra and made peace with Ahsoka is like the most Star Wars shit ever. Like 90% of the franchise is generic babble about balance.

lithy

20 Year Member
She's had some training. Besides, major characters taking big leaps in force ability in a short amount of time is nothing new in Star Wars.

Force pushing is n00b level force usage anyways.

OT or even Prequel examples please. Otherwise, if it is a 'truth' confined strictly to Disney Star Wars, then we can call it a long running complaint.

Force training takes time, even moving small objects takes concentration and training that doesn't take place in the midst of battle with platitudes.

She's a Mandolorian warrior. They're kind of good with this whole combat thing. She's wielded the Dark Saber in Rebels, and had some training under Ahsoka. She's just a bit better at it now that she's got some force attunement going.

Could have fooled me, you can't tell me she's a great warrior and then have her get bested at nearly every turn for 7.5 episodes (I mentioned the final fight is the first time she looks confident with both weapons.). You can't tell me she's force attuned and then show her struggling with moving a mug or acting completely dumbfounded at the idea of sparring with a blast shield helmet on. What training had she had up to that point? If she had more than a meet and greet with Ahsoka, I'd be surprised from her character in this show. She acts completely surprised at any concept of being or becoming a force user.

I swear, some people get more enjoyment out of cynical criticism than actually enjoying shows for what they are and enjoying the ride.

And some people buy in completely to being shown things they're told are meaningful without any evaluation of whether or not it was handled well technically. Sabine and Ezra reunited at last! Oh wow, these two are such emotionless boards in the scene you could have fooled me into thinking they just saw each other at breakfast.

In that vein, next complaint of stupid characters

Ezra sees Hera again. He should have been shot. He exits an imperial shuttle with a stormtrooper helmet on and silently advances, ignores commands. The helmet stayed on for a pointless reveal. The audience already knew he was taking stormtrooper armor. Hera doesn't need a dramatic reveal to be stunned at his return. It's completely retarded. Shoot him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
OT or even Prequel examples please. Otherwise, if it is a 'truth' confined strictly to Disney Star Wars, then we can call it a long running complaint.
1. Luke is already using the force a few hours after he learns it exists in Star Wars
2. Leia is able to communicate with Luke in Empire Strikes Back even though she has no training
3. Leia is able to sense Luke is okay in Return of the Jedi
4. Anakin is a 9 year old kid who happens to be the greatest human podracer in the entire galaxy, not to mention an ace starpilot

Force training takes time, even moving small objects takes concentration and training that doesn't take place in the midst of battle with platitudes.

Could have fooled me, you can't tell me she's a great warrior and then have her get bested at nearly every turn for 7.5 episodes (I mentioned the final fight is the first time she looks confident with both weapons.). You can't tell me she's force attuned and then show her struggling with moving a mug or acting completely dumbfounded at the idea of sparring with a blast shield helmet on. What training had she had up to that point? If she had more than a meet and greet with Ahsoka, I'd be surprised from her character in this show. She acts completely surprised at any concept of being or becoming a force user.
She had training years prior, wasn't that good to begin with, and then regressed. The same way Obi-Wan regressed in his own show after not using the force for a decade. Ahsoka chose to stop her training because both Sabine and Ahsoka herself were reminding Ahsoka of Anakin. Ahsoka's fear of becoming him was holding her back, and her fear of Sabine becoming like him was keeping her from trusting her fully and hindering her progress.

Sabine had a conflict to resolve. Ezra trusted her to come find him when he sacrificed himself to remove Thrawn from the galaxy, and Ahsoka trusted her to destroy the map. She betrayed Ahsoka to keep her promise to Ezra and that conflict held her back.

Sabine was shown several times trying to use the force before being successful at it. When she got her ass kicked by Shin, with Ahoska and the mug, when she was held captive by Thrawn. But after Ahsoka reconciles the good things Anakin taught her with what he became and resolves to support Sabine regardless, Sabine assists Ezra and Ahsoka in opening the door to get into the tower at the end. Ahsoka's belief in her gives her confidence to try when she force pulls the lightsaber, which gives her more confidence when she throws Ezra. Ezra's confidence in her reinforces this, as he had initially questioned why Ahsoka was training her to begin with. Now he's taking a literal leap of faith and she's able to reward his faith.

Her unresolved issues with Ezra and Ahsoka combined with a decade of non-use eroded what little force ability she originally had. After practicing several times on-screen and presumably more off-screen and then resolving her issues with Ezra and Ahsoka she finds a measure of balance and is able to pull off basic beginner force feats. It's really basic Star Wars.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
1. Luke is already using the force a few hours after he learns it exists in Star Wars
2. Leia is able to communicate with Luke in Empire Strikes Back even though she has no training
3. Leia is able to sense Luke is okay in Return of the Jedi
4. Anakin is a 9 year old kid who happens to be the greatest human podracer in the entire galaxy, not to mention an ace starpilot

She had training years prior, wasn't that good to begin with, and then regressed. The same way Obi-Wan regressed in his own show after not using the force for a decade. Ahsoka chose to stop her training because both Sabine and Ahsoka herself were reminding Ahsoka of Anakin. Ahsoka's fear of becoming him was holding her back, and her fear of Sabine becoming like him was keeping her from trusting her fully and hindering her progress.

Sabine had a conflict to resolve. Ezra trusted her to come find him when he sacrificed himself to remove Thrawn from the galaxy, and Ahsoka trusted her to destroy the map. She betrayed Ahsoka to keep her promise to Ezra and that conflict held her back.

Sabine was shown several times trying to use the force before being successful at it. When she got her ass kicked by Shin, with Ahoska and the mug, when she was held captive by Thrawn. But after Ahsoka reconciles the good things Anakin taught her with what he became and resolves to support Sabine regardless, Sabine assists Ezra and Ahsoka in opening the door to get into the tower at the end. Ahsoka's belief in her gives her confidence to try when she force pulls the lightsaber, which gives her more confidence when she throws Ezra. Ezra's confidence in her reinforces this, as he had initially questioned why Ahsoka was training her to begin with. Now he's taking a literal leap of faith and she's able to reward his faith.

Her unresolved issues with Ezra and Ahsoka combined with a decade of non-use eroded what little force ability she originally had. After practicing several times on-screen and presumably more on-screen and then resolving her issues with Ezra and Ahsoka she finds a measure of balance and is able to pull of basic beginner force feats. It's really basic Star Wars.
jfc, xavier

lithy

20 Year Member
Nah, fami is fine, he can enjoy it I'm not trying to take it away from him or anything, although I think that level of detail does sort of support my point that the show existed for the Rebels audience. To me, that character arc was not earned in Ahsoka alone.

Not sure how I would rank the three against each other, probably would need to rewatch them and I really just don't want to, but Ahsoka falls somewhere among Boba Fett and Obi-Wan.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The creator of the show literally described it as Rebels season 5. It's a show set after Rebels, made by the creator of Rebels, starring all the main characters from Rebels. You might as well start with Return of the Jedi and walk out asking everyone else who the hell those Luke and Han guys were.

Also, a relevant exchange from when Kanan (Ezra's master) was originally training Sabine in Rebels

HERA: ...because she doesn't have the force you don't believe she can do this?
KANAN: No. The force resides in all living things but you have to be open to it. Sabine is... blocked. Her mind is conflicted. She's so expressive and yet so tightly wound...

famicommander

15 Year Member
First few episodes of the final season of Bad Batch are out. They're awesome, as usual.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah they were pretty great. Its sad though that they are basically having to shoehorn all of this story simply to justify "somehow palpatine returned" in rise of shitwalker.

I was really hoping Tech would have made it. But if not, thats actually great. Real stakes and all.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah they were pretty great. Its sad though that they are basically having to shoehorn all of this story simply to justify "somehow palpatine returned" in rise of shitwalker.

I was really hoping Tech would have made it. But if not, thats actually great. Real stakes and all.
I think one of Tech and Echo was always going to die, they're too similar in their skillsets. And since we already had a major long term death fakeout with Echo it's probably best to just let Tech go.