New Star Wars stuff announced

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Bunch of TV shows and other stuff.

-Hayden Christiansen will appear as Darth Vader in the Obi-Wan TV series which is set to start filming soon.

-Cassian Andor from Rogue One is getting a live action series series which is already filming and will debut in 2022. Set five years before the film.

-Ahsoka Tano is getting her own live action series. Rosario Dawson will star.

-Star Wars: New Republic Rangers is coming also. Set in the same time period as Ahsoka and The Mandalorian, and the three shows will build to a crossover event.

-Lando Calrissian is getting a live action series

-Another series called "The Acolyte" has been announced. It will be set in an unexplored area and timeline of the Star Wars universe and follow a female lead. Said to be more action and martial arts oriented.

-Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Another animated series from the showrunner of Clone Wars and Rebels. Direct spin off of the Clone Wars season 7 arc about the characters.

-Star Wars: Visions. Anime anthology series just announced.

-Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. A new live action film about the squadron from Patty Jenkins, director of the Wonder Woman films.

There are like half a dozen other film projects in development but none of them have titles or plot details.

If all the shows are as good as Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Rebels then it'll be awesome. With this many shows they could easily fuck it all up though.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Oh look, almost nothing that looks remotely interesting. I'll give the best shot to Rogue Squadron. My lowest expectations would be for Ahsoka. They'll attempt to mimic The Mandalorian success, but they needed it to be a female lead. It will be hamfistedly woke almost for sure.

Basically, they pivoted all of their plans for a movie a year to a few TV shows a year.

For one, the movie pace already showed it was straining to attract continued interest for the quality of product. They had already announced that they canned the Boba Fett thing and the Obi-Wan thing was meant to be a movie.

Add in the uncertain future of theaters and this makes sense.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Oh look, almost nothing that looks remotely interesting. I'll give the best shot to Rogue Squadron. My lowest expectations would be for Ahsoka. They'll attempt to mimic The Mandalorian success, but they needed it to be a female lead. It will be hamfistedly woke almost for sure.

Basically, they pivoted all of their plans for a movie a year to a few TV shows a year.

For one, the movie pace already showed it was straining to attract continued interest for the quality of product. They had already announced that they canned the Boba Fett thing and the Obi-Wan thing was meant to be a movie.

Add in the uncertain future of theaters and this makes sense.

Ahsoka has been the best character in Star Wars since she debuted. Especially in the later seasons of the Clone Wars and Rebels. I think it will likely be the best of any of these shows, especially if they're going to use the setup from the end of Rebels as the premise (that premise being searching for Ezra Bridger and Grand Admiral Thrawn).

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Ahsoka has been the best character in Star Wars since she debuted. Especially in the later seasons of the Clone Wars and Rebels. I think it will likely be the best of any of these shows, especially if they're going to use the setup from the end of Rebels as the premise (that premise being searching for Ezra Bridger and Grand Admiral Thrawn).

But...Disney didn't do either Clone Wars or Rebels.

It would be like saying Han Solo was one of the best characters from Star Wars, so Solo was a slam dunk.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Mandalorian is very solid...How can you not be excited for these announcements...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bunch of TV shows and other stuff.

-Hayden Christiansen will appear as Darth Vader in the Obi-Wan TV series which is set to start filming soon.

-Cassian Andor from Rogue One is getting a live action series series which is already filming and will debut in 2022. Set five years before the film.

-Ahsoka Tano is getting her own live action series. Rosario Dawson will star.

-Star Wars: New Republic Rangers is coming also. Set in the same time period as Ahsoka and The Mandalorian, and the three shows will build to a crossover event.

-Lando Calrissian is getting a live action series

-Another series called "The Acolyte" has been announced. It will be set in an unexplored area and timeline of the Star Wars universe and follow a female lead. Said to be more action and martial arts oriented.

-Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Another animated series from the showrunner of Clone Wars and Rebels. Direct spin off of the Clone Wars season 7 arc about the characters.

-Star Wars: Visions. Anime anthology series just announced.

-Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. A new live action film about the squadron from Patty Jenkins, director of the Wonder Woman films.

There are like half a dozen other film projects in development but none of them have titles or plot details.

If all the shows are as good as Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Rebels then it'll be awesome. With this many shows they could easily fuck it all up though.
Here's a list of all the ones I'm interested in:

Here endeth the list.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
LOL Cassian Andor show.

Ship has sailed.

I'm mildly intrigued by the Macgregor/Christiansen show only because I'm surprised they are bringing back the ostensible prequel leads and I'm curious to see how that will play 20+ years after the fact. It's the only series taking any chances because it's inseparable from the prequels from a cultural standpoint. It's the one people will recognize out if any of these.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mandalorian is very solid...How can you not be excited for these announcements...

I don't like the characters, and I don't like the idea that I'm watching a means for an end to sell merchandise. I am over Star Wars and will never contribute to its profits again.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones...I'm waiting for the next dynamite franchise to captivate the populace. No more exploring those universes, I want a new world.

famicommander

15 Year Member
But...Disney didn't do either Clone Wars or Rebels.

It would be like saying Han Solo was one of the best characters from Star Wars, so Solo was a slam dunk.

Dave Filoni did Clone Wars and Rebels, as well as collaborated with Favreau for Mandalorian.

Filoni and Favreau are doing Ahsoka and New Republic Rangers. Filoni is doing Bad Batch.

I don't know about the rest of the shows, but Filoni and Favreau's track record is pretty damn good so at least those three shows will probably be good.

And technically Disney did season 7 of Clone Wars, which is the best one.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't like the characters, and I don't like the idea that I'm watching a means for an end to sell merchandise. I am over Star Wars and will never contribute to its profits again.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones...I'm waiting for the next dynamite franchise to captivate the populace. No more exploring those universes, I want a new world.

It's gonna be Dune.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anything tied down to an existing film or series I’m a little tepid on. I really like Mandalorian because I feel like it takes place in the Star Wars universe but isn’t necessarily beholden to previous stories in the franchise. Season 2 is full of some connections but it hasn’t ruined it for me.

I’ll watch the Rosario Dawson show and the New Republic Rangers.

Not interested in the cartoons and despite how good they are I have no desire to watch Clone Wars or Rebels.

Anything connected to the prequels is too tainted for me.

The sequels too, I guess.

A rogue one spinoff sounds dumb as hell.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's gonna be Dune.

I doubt it at this point. They muffed the launch. Whenever a studio hypes a release, carefully builds awareness and excitement in the public but then delays by a significant amount of time, that movie fails. People don't bite twice. The movie will be big with already existing fans who will either love or hate it, but the general public will have already moved on.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I think they're over reaching with that many projects, but, I suspect several will get cancelled though. I think it's good to have more SW stuff coming, and TV shows lend themselves to better world/story building than films because you get a lot more play time to flesh things out. Personally, I'd rather watch a show about the regulars in the Mos Eisley cantina or Jabba's palace, because I loved those short story anthology books so much.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Fucking Star Wars, am I right?

PJ41mCU.gif

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I'll have to quit my daytime job to watch all of these.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have zero hope in anything SW, haven't for some time. If it is solid, it is a nice surprise. The Mandalorian is a nice distraction...it's easy to watch and done well enough. I have no real complaints.

If even one of those franchises they announced it solid, that will be more than I'm expecting.

I feel high budget shows on pay to play services are the future of films...movies are dying. Why put all your eggs in a 2-hour, $200M basket when you can tell your story over 10x 40 min episodes that come out weekly?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I have zero hope in anything SW, haven't for some time. If it is solid, it is a nice surprise. The Mandalorian is a nice distraction...it's easy to watch and done well enough. I have no real complaints.

If even one of those franchises they announced it solid, that will be more than I'm expecting.

I feel high budget shows on pay to play services are the future of films...movies are dying. Why put all your eggs in a 2-hour, $200M basket when you can tell your story over 10x 40 min episodes that come out weekly?

And that you can monetize, promote, merchandise and hype via social media and the propaganda that calls itself 'entertainment journalism'.

I read the book You Cannot Kill a Dragon With Fire by EW writer James Hibbard. Insufferably apologetic about GoT's miserable failure and completely avoided analysis that even we armchair critics here at NG did a better job of scrutinizing.

We all say we like TV series because they can have more time to tell their story.

What we really mean is 'we would like it if the TV series was as good as GoT, giving is endless hours of conversation, appointment television, theorycrafting, arguments and social media viral memes.'

Most TV shows will end up like LOST, which 'lost' it's way by forgetting to be self aware, or GoT, which is very well done until the showrunners believe they're bigger stars than the creator of the source material and run out of material to crib from.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I feel like with the history of Star Wars spinoff shows never coming to be 80% of these announcements will never happen. Remember the Obi Wan show that got hyped and never got made?

famicommander

15 Year Member
I feel like with the history of Star Wars spinoff shows never coming to be 80% of these announcements will never happen. Remember the Obi Wan show that got hyped and never got made?

They're filming it next month.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Obi Wan series? Because that would be amazing.

Yes. And Hayden Christensen is returning as Vader.

I would bet all the TV series listed get made. Movies get shelved and reimagined all the time but they seem pretty far along in all of these TV series. There are already trailers out there for the Cassian Andor series and The Bad Batch.

At minimum the ones produced by Filoni and/or Favreau will get made because those two have a proven track record between them:
-The Mandalorian (16 episodes and counting)
-Star Wars: The Clone Wars (133 episodes and a theatrical film)
-Star Wars: Rebels (75 episodes and a series of web shorts)
-Star Wars: Resistance (40 episodes)
-Star Wars: Forces of Destiny (32 web shorts)

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Yes. And Hayden Christensen is returning as Vader.

I would bet all the TV series listed get made. Movies get shelved and reimagined all the time but they seem pretty far along in all of these TV series. There are already trailers out there for the Cassian Andor series and The Bad Batch.

At minimum the ones produced by Filoni and/or Favreau will get made because those two have a proven track record between them:
-The Mandalorian (16 episodes and counting)
-Star Wars: The Clone Wars (133 episodes and a theatrical film)
-Star Wars: Rebels (75 episodes and a series of web shorts)
-Star Wars: Resistance (40 episodes)
-Star Wars: Forces of Destiny (32 web shorts)

Freggin awesome!