New Star Wars stuff announced

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I thought it was a little weird that the episode went in that direction with that side story.
I watched a several hours long Youtube video semi recently about Star Wars, turns out I was wrong there is a overarching story-line beyond the basic fascism bad you can get at a quick glancing. Something to do with there's not much difference The Empire, Republic, Rebels Jedi etc if you let the ends justify the means. I see this popping up recently again in new episodes of Andor and so on.

One things obvious though, Starbuck is going to get the dark saber and ride a mythosaur to become the ruler of the Mandolorians once again. They are all going to settle back on Mandalore and live happily ever after.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This week's upcoming Mando episode was directed by Carl Weathers and co-written by Dave Filoni, so hopefully it's a big improvement over the one we just got.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another Mando episode where all the Mandalorians hang out on a beach and wait to be eaten by dinosaurs. The fuck are they even doing this season?

Bad Batch is the better show and it's not close right now.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I liked this one ok.

It's one of things though where the pace of this episode is fine if you've got a TNG style season of 20+ episodes, but if we're only doing 8 they've gotta get some stuff happening.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I liked this one ok.

It's one of things though where the pace of this episode is fine if you've got a TNG style season of 20+ episodes, but if we're only doing 8 they've gotta get some stuff happening.
This week's episode was less than 30 minutes long if you take out the recap and credits. It just seems like it has lost all direction. It wasn't a bad episode but it feels like they wrote 4 episodes and decided to stretch that into an 8 episode season this year.

Meanwhile Bad Batch seems like it needs way more episodes. Next week is the 2 episode finale. 16 episodes is not enough for this show. Clone Wars in its prime was doing 22 per season; hopefully next year Bad Batch gets that many.

lithy

20 Year Member
The writing seems to be getting dumber. Story wise this one has more going for it. But so little tension in the urban assault.

I'm beginning to think that I just didn't need this show to tie into the larger SW lore...

famicommander

15 Year Member
I thought it was pretty decent this week.

Bad Batch was again better though. Too bad the season is over.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd guest star and the episode still manages to underwhelm.

famicommander

15 Year Member
fami you torture yourself bro
It's not even that bad; it's still way better than those garbage Obi-Wan and Boba Fett shows we all sat through last year. It's just a marked decrease in quality from the first two seasons, and it's highlighted by the fact that the first 5 episodes were released on the same day as animated Star Wars episodes that were both better written and more thematically complex.

It's just annoying that they prove they can do something good with the property (Andor, Clone Wars, The Bad Batch, Rebels, Mando seasons 1 and 2, etc) but they don't hold themselves to that standard all the time. It feels like the entire point of this season of Mando is to set up future stuff and sell merch.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
those garbage Obi-Wan and Boba Fett shows we all sat through last year.
Who is we all? Casual fans (you know the bulk of their fan base) don't care about any of this shit anymore, Disney has worn out a huge percentage of their consumer base in the past couple of years. There is absolutely no way I'd ever pay for Disney+ at this point and I know I'm not alone on that.

Mando was the last thing they had that normal people could count on and they've managed to fuck that up as well from the sound of it. How many people that were going to wait till season 3 was finished so they binge it with a free trial or single month subscription are going to bother now? Poor quality, over saturation, greed, confusing and convoluted universe building; it's too much. No-one aside from stubborn hardcore fans and children are willing to consume this stuff anymore. Disney can't be trusted and people know it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Who is we all? Casual fans (you know the bulk of their fan base) don't care about any of this shit anymore, Disney has worn out a huge percentage of their consumer base in the past couple of years. There is absolutely no way I'd ever pay for Disney+ at this point and I know I'm not alone on that.

Mando was the last thing they had that normal people could count on and they've managed to fuck that up as well from the sound of it. How many people that were going to wait till season 3 was finished so they binge it with a free trial or single month subscription are going to bother now? Poor quality, over saturation, greed, confusing and convoluted universe building; it's too much. No-one aside from stubborn hardcore fans and children are willing to consume this stuff anymore. Disney can't be trusted and people know it.
If Star Wars fans came back for more after Rise of Skywalker or Attack of the Clones I don't think 24 episodes of mediocre television is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You have to remember SW isn't just for the fans and it shouldn't be, Mando season 1 was a huge hit with normies for a reason. I don't know a single person irl that has watched any SW aside from Mando in the last couple of years. That says a lot. Disney can't just keep dumping shit onto a die hard base who will keep watching no matter what, that does turn off casual fans. That also hurts Disney financially, it's happening with the Marvel stuff big time. You think that won't happen or isn't already happening with SW as well?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
One things obvious though, Starbuck is going to get the dark saber and ride a mythosaur to become the ruler of the Mandolorians once again. They are all going to settle back on Mandalore and live happily ever after.

WHaaat?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Look. Im not gonna mince words here. I fucking LOVE Ahsoka Tano.

She is my absolute favorite star wars character of all time. I even named my torbie cat after her. The trailer for her show (in August!) just dropped and holy fucking shit if you watched and liked Rebels this will make you shit your pants.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think the biggest reason Mando took a step back this year is because Filoni was working on Ahsoka, leaving nobody to reign in Favreau's worst tendencies.

famicommander

15 Year Member
More announcements:
1. Tales of the Jedi has been renewed for a second season. This is awesome news. Dave Filoni running the show as he did with season 1. No word on which Jedi it will follow after season 1 had 3 episodes about Dooku and 3 about Ahsoka.

2. Taika Waititi is writing and directing his own Star Wars movie but he's doing it on his own timeline and with no input from the Disney/Lucas execs. We don't know when it's out or what it will be about but it seems far off.

3. Dave Filoni will direct a live action Star Wars film featuring the casts of The Mandalorian, Ahsoka, and The Book of Boba Fett

4. James Mangold is directing and writing a new live action Star Wars film telling the origins of the Jedi Order, set 25000 years before Phantom Menace.

5. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy will direct a movie set 15 years after Rise of Skywalker and starring Daisy Ridley as Rey establishing a new Jedi Order

6. Rian Johnson's trilogy is not in active development

7. The Lando live action series is still in development but with no start date due to Donald Glover's schedule

8. Andor S2 hits in August 2024, Skeleton Crew some time this year, Ahsoka in August 2023, The Acolyte some time in 2024

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Bad Batch has been renewed for a third and final season.

Have to believe they'll follow it up with another animated show. There's no way they'll let all the enhancements they've made to their animation tech go to waste.

Mercifully, there will not be a 2nd season of Obi-Wan.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finally an actual GREAT episode for this season. Lots of cool stuff in it, especially if one has read the original Thrawn Trilogy.

lithy

20 Year Member
Finally an actual GREAT episode for this season. Lots of cool stuff in it, especially if one has read the original Thrawn Trilogy.

If only they had taken this episode's plot and done 3 fleshed out episodes instead of cramming it all together because oopsies we ran out of episodes and have to wrap this up in the next hour.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I find it annoying the EU was scrapped canonically but canon writers are free to steal from the EU as they want. Are Zahn et al. getting royalties?

famicommander

15 Year Member
If you cut 2.5 episodes from this season and replaced that content with the 2.5 episodes they crammed into Boba Fett, you'd have a pretty decent season.

As it stands this was mediocre.

Better than Boba Fett or Obi-Wan by quite a bit, but a significant step down from Mando seasons 1 and 2.

They'd better deliver on Ahsoka.