New Studio Ghibli Movie: Gake No Ue No Ponyo

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
There's a new Studio Ghibli movie coming out this month, and it's being directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself.

It's called "Gake No Ue No Ponyo", and the English subtitle is "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea".

Alas, this time around it looks like Studio Ghibli made a movie for children. I'm sure the design and animation will be as breathtaking as usual, but the story itself seems to be kiddy-stuff.

Here's the link to the official site. It's Japanese only, but you can get an idea of what the art is like:

http://www.ghibli.jp/ponyo/

And the English Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_the_Cliff_by_the_Sea

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'll see anything by Hayao Miyazaki regardless of its intended target audience.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
There's a new Studio Ghibli movie coming out this month, and it's being directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself.

It's called "Gake No Ue No Ponyo", and the English subtitle is "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea".

Alas, this time around it looks like Studio Ghibli made a movie for children. I'm sure the design and animation will be as breathtaking as usual, but the story itself seems to be kiddy-stuff.

Here's the link to the official site. It's Japanese only, but you can get an idea of what the art is like:

http://www.ghibli.jp/ponyo/

And the English Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_the_Cliff_by_the_Sea

I thought Hayao retired. Was getting fidgety in his retirement was he?

Looking forward to it. I love all his films.

tsukaesugi

I thought Hayao retired. Was getting fidgety in his retirement was he?

Yeah, he announced his un-retirement quite awhile ago.

This really upset Ursula LeGuin, who would only allow a movie adaptation of her Earthsea books ("Tales from Earthsea") if it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself. He agreed, but then soon after backed out of the project because of his retirement.

The elder Miyasaki convinced LeGuin to continue to allow the adaptation by assuring her that his son Goro would do just as good of a job of directing. She was somewhat placated, and agreed.

The movie came out, most fans of the Earthsea books hated it, it got mixed reviews here in Japan, and LeGuin herself disliked it.

And then Hayao Miyazaki announced his unretirement!

tsukaesugi

Found the link to Ursula LeGuin's site:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html

Personally, I thought it was a pretty poor adaptation as well. Great art and animation, but a very bad scenario and script.

Actually I find most of Miyazaki's movies to be somewhat weak in the scenario department. His endings especially, feel very rushed and tacked on to me.

So I'm hoping that "Ponyo" will be a little more enjoyable (for me anyway). If it's just a simple children's story it shouldn't have too many problems scenario-wise.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Yeah, he announced his un-retirement quite awhile ago.

This really upset Ursula LeGuin, who would only allow a movie adaptation of her Earthsea books ("Tales from Earthsea") if it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself. He agreed, but then soon after backed out of the project because of his retirement.

The elder Miyasaki convinced LeGuin to continue to allow the adaptation by assuring her that his son Goro would do just as good of a job of directing. She was somewhat placated, and agreed.

The movie came out, most fans of the Earthsea books hated it, it got mixed reviews here in Japan, and LeGuin herself disliked it.

And then Hayao Miyazaki announced his unretirement!

Accounts of the whole events leading up to Goro Miyazaki's directing the film seems to be a ton of hearsay. I checked the Wikipedia entry on Gedo Senki and it was like, "Hayao was working on Spirited Away, so Ghibli approached Goro to make the film, Hayao opposed." I've heard other accounts that mirrors closely what you've replied. I think, in the end, prolly no one will really know exactly what happened, since the Japanese place such a premium on public appearances of harmony, and their penchant to speak in an "Aimai" fashion.

aria

Former Moderator
Well, I'll be seeing this one when it reaches here. The poster I saw on the official website (with the kid lifting something that looked like a glass bowl or a bag of water) made me think a bit of that film we say at the Ghibli museum.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Miyazaki has tried to retire what 5 times now? He is like Miyamoto and cant stop working.

tsukaesugi

Well, I'll be seeing this one when it reaches here. The poster I saw on the official website (with the kid lifting something that looked like a glass bowl or a bag of water) made me think a bit of that film we say at the Ghibli museum.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's the same kind of "innocent water creature explores life on the surface" theme.

The film we saw was wonderful, I thought. Very beautiful and peaceful, especially since there was no dialogue. The background sounds and music really really reminded me of high summer in rural Japan.