News from SPAAAAACE!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just saw a commercial for the United States Space Force.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Apparently there is a neowise comet that's supposed to be visible now.

Better than my OLD Jupiter bump?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Very vague, but may be a kinetic orbital strike:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

I don't think that making a big deal of Space Force was a good idea, however absurd it was. It was basically a "You won't" to Russia. And now...

The recent UK report into russian state meddling concluded that they don't think Russia has any particular goal in mind other than to try to make western nations look stupid so they feel better about themselves. If they took out a few gps satellites and wiped out my sat nav they'd certainly achieve that, I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If we're not careful we'll end up with an orbital sea of shrapnel that'll fuck anything being launched into orbit and it's operations. Anti-Satellite weaponry will likely become more widespread and advanced on all sides and end badly over something like a tweet.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Sounds like an official report concerning “off world craft” could be released to the public

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
In today's more terrestrial news relating to SPAAAAACE! The instrument platform at Arecibo Observatory, after several increasingly significant failures has completely collapsed onto the dish some 450 feet below, just like Alec Trevelyan. It had already been announced that it would be dismantled for safety reasons after the last cable failure, and it doesn't seem like there are immediate plans to work on a replacement so it will be a significant loss for ground based radio observation.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I hated that level in GoldenEye 64.

In other space news, looks like China has managed to get their little rock collector to blast off and back towards Earth. Cool but been done before! Wake me up when there's a CCP flag on the moon.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In today's more terrestrial news relating to SPAAAAACE! The instrument platform at Arecibo Observatory, after several increasingly significant failures has completely collapsed onto the dish some 450 feet below, just like Alec Trevelyan. It had already been announced that it would be dismantled for safety reasons after the last cable failure, and it doesn't seem like there are immediate plans to work on a replacement so it will be a significant loss for ground based radio observation.

It was already dead. It's only a loss for movie studios.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any stargazers here? Jupiter and Saturn will be at their closest from our perspective in a week or so. They’re close now and pretty bright but I haven’t had a chance to get outside and look yet. Lot of light pollution by my house :emb:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They put the Chinese flag on the moon but not the CCP flag.

Because of the strong electromagnetic radiation and the huge temperature difference between day and night on the surface of the moon, a flag made of conventional material, once exposed on the lunar surface, will experience color fading and even decomposition immediately.

Therefore, scientists spent a year to find the proper material of the flag, which is a new composite material that can withstand the harsh environment on the lunar surface and retain its color and shape.

Made of the special material, the flag has a weight of only 12 gram.

It also requires a peculiar system to display the flag. Researchers have worked hard to slim the equipment and minimize its weight to 1 kilogram at last.

Boys, it ain't turning white. Time to go back to the moon and knock it down.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Any stargazers here? Jupiter and Saturn will be at their closest from our perspective in a week or so. They’re close now and pretty bright but I haven’t had a chance to get outside and look yet. Lot of light pollution by my house :emb:

Go find a 70mm cheapo telescope at a thrift store. It is amazing to see the rings on Saturn and faint banding on Jupiter as well as the Galilean moons even on a little piece of Chinese junk.

I'll have mine out to check them out again if the skies are clear.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I could only be so lucky as to find a telescope at my local thrift store.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
What’s the difference? Do China and the CCP have different flags? I had no idea.

China's flag has stars and CCP flag doesn't. Close enough I guess.
Also now there is a question if they did put a flag there at all, since the one shown in the news stories is cropped from a larger computer generated picture that shows the flag is part of the rover. I can't really tell if the rover was left there or if it was what was launched back into space. In either case, it wasn't a "flag planting" and the only reason it would be on the moon is if the rover is still there. I can't find any pictures showing the actual flag, just renders. Daily mail has a video of the flag on the lander and how it just pops out. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ts-picture-national-emblem-lunar-surface.html

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Israeli space guy says the NWO has a pact with the greys:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/07/aliens-in-hiding-until-mankind-is-ready-ex-israeli-space-head/

Huge if true.

“ “Trump was on the verge of revealing [aliens existence], but the aliens in the Galactic Federation are saying, ‘Wait, let people calm down first,'” Eshed, who helmed Israel’s space security program from 1981 to 2010, reportedly said. “They don’t want to start mass hysteria. They want to first make us sane and understanding.””

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
“ “Trump was on the verge of revealing [aliens existence], but the aliens in the Galactic Federation are saying, ‘Wait, let people calm down first,'” Eshed, who helmed Israel’s space security program from 1981 to 2010, reportedly said. “They don’t want to start mass hysteria. They want to first make us sane and understanding.””

The reptilians had the vaccine all along.