News from SPAAAAACE!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I could only be so lucky as to find a telescope at my local thrift store.

I can only recall us ever getting one telescope while I've worked at the thrift store. They're not very common donations in my experience. I think we put $10 on it.

My news from space is that a giant monkeyman (Andross) fucked up my arwing. I wouldn't sell him my Planet of the Apes Zira doujinshi (she's REALLY into bananas if you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, ook, ook!) or some shit, and he got pissed. I was too busy fantasizing about how to murder Slippy and make it look like an accident to focus on the battle and blew the whole thing (but I didn't let Andross see who Zira blew, so, I would argue I still scored an technical victory even though my ship got slagged).

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I miss when talking about UFOs was exciting theorycrafting and you were far away enough from the loons that actually believe in X-Files tier conspiracies.

Thanks for the link fakeXsound. Really cool stuff.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
IMG_20201210_112253.jpg

Well, fuck me, look what was waiting for me when I walked into the electronics back room at the thrift store this morning! Not for the first time, mentioning something on the NG.com forums made it happen in real life, kinda scary. This one was kind of cheap looking/feeling, but complete, so, I put $10 on it too.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I was surprised when you said you never get them. I see telescopes just like that at least once a week. And pretty nice ones maybe a few times a year.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Good luck trying to star gaze with all of Elon Musk's stupid satellites flying around up there.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
JWST got to it's launch destination I saw and survived the pirates! Can't wait for this one to get up there.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Hubble's infinitely more powerful successor is up in space, deployed and ready for action:

Rumour is this beast could possibly detect Basics penis but even if that falls through I'm sure it will send back some impressive images.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hubble's infinitely more powerful successor is up in space, deployed and ready for action:

Rumour is this beast could possibly detect Basics penis but even if that falls through I'm sure it will send back some impressive images.

Get ready, people.

2000s: Dark matter and exoplanets confirmed directly
2010s: Black holes confirmed directly
2020s: Aliens confirmed directly

lithy

20 Year Member
First JWST image, just initial setup stuff so nothing super special yet, but it's working so far.

ac751230-8b54-11ec-9ff7-009f255a2010

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It can find the tiniest spec from the other side of the universe - maybe you could use it to find your penis?
Good point! I haven't seen the head of my penis for ages considering it's so far away it has a redshift value.

Now fuck off and don't ruin this thread.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
True story: I had a dream last night that I looked out the window and saw some UFOs, but then they turned into Batman logos and I was very upset that it was all just a marketing event.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Imagine if we actually built those moon colonies like they said we would have by now in those future books. Now imagine getting the weather report: A constantly lit day with mild airflow and a slight chance of rocket stage bombardment.

lithy

20 Year Member
There has been a few things recently happening, but I haven't been bumping this thread.

The privately funded Israeli moon lander did not succeed. Japan bombed an asteroid. The Ultima Thule flyby. Some cool stuff.

But the black hole has been pretty popular, will be very interesting to me to see if they were able to image the black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. For now, we have M87.

fig1-6-702x336.jpg

And now we have an image of our galaxy's supermassive b-hole.

Also a new JWST image with comparison to older telescopes.

FRjH4MvXMAIBzwP.jpg