NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Just stocked up for the weekend.

A 4 pack of Harpoon Leviathan, a gallon of Sailor Jerry Rum, a bottle of Jack White Rabbit, a bottle of TN muscadine wine, and two sixers of Schlitz for good measure.

I also just found out that we get Green Flash here now.

edit* Well, I made another last minute run. Yazoo Gerst, Rye Saison, and also some Lynchburg Lager. Now, Jack Daniel's put out some beer a few years ago and it was horrible. However, I've seen it back out on the market and have wondered who the brewer could be. Lo and Behold....it's Yazoo Brewing right here in Nashville! Can't wait to try it out tonight.

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
We had a Blue Moon taster at work tonight. He was promoting the new fall seasonal twelve-pack with four different beers. I tried the pumpkin ale and the spiced caramel apple ale.

The pumpkin was decent and very drinkable. It's something I could drink on a nice fall day.

The spiced caramel apple ale was... eh. I thought it would have more of a spiciness or a faint apple flavor and nope. It tasted like a normal ale to me. I was quite underwhelmed.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just stocked up for the weekend.

A 4 pack of Harpoon Leviathan, a gallon of Sailor Jerry Rum, a bottle of Jack White Rabbit, a bottle of TN muscadine wine, and two sixers of Schlitz for good measure.

I also just found out that we get Green Flash here now.

edit* Well, I made another last minute run. Yazoo Gerst, Rye Saison, and also some Lynchburg Lager. Now, Jack Daniel's put out some beer a few years ago and it was horrible. However, I've seen it back out on the market and have wondered who the brewer could be. Lo and Behold....it's Yazoo Brewing right here in Nashville! Can't wait to try it out tonight.

Schlitz :buttrock:

You Sherlin, I like you.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
IMAG1105.jpg

I finally found a beer sold in my small town that I actually LIKE!!!!

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
IMAG1105.jpg

I finally found a beer sold in my small town that I actually LIKE!!!!

awe hellz. i was hoping this was actually from mt. pleasant tn. dare to dream! dare to dream! still wanna check it out tho...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Gruit is interesting from a historical perspective when brewing was a domestic duty. Women, the usual brewers, would just use whatever herbs and spices were readily available for flavoring. I've had a few with what seems like a 'traditional' combination of yarrow and bog myrtle and then usually a third ingredient that doesn't seem as standard. They range from light to very dark with seemingly no rhyme or reason. I suppose the most traditional would actually be to use smoked malt since most malt would have had some smoke from open fire kilning.

We do a beer at the Church that is technically Gruit like. A light ale with 50% wheat in the grist flavored with no (legally, very little ;)) hops, and instead uses lemon balm and hyssop (an anise family herb). One of our brewers is particularly interested in herbs/spices rather than hops so I've had beers with rose hips, horehound (a traditional cough surpressant), cardamom, then some more common things like grains of paradise, spearmint/peppermint, lavender, lemon grass, and szechuan peppercorns.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Picked up a case of Sarnac's seasonal tonight. Now all I need is for Great Lakes Brewery to unleash Nosferatu once again.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I just drank the Hap N' Harry's Lynchburg Lager. I poured it out. I don't think I've ever done that to a beer before. Imagine cat urine and baby vomit. Can't believe yazoo brewed that shit.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Had some Hill Farmstead/Alchemist Walden. Very good light/drinkable but still complex in aroma and flavor. These two breweries never let me down besides maybe the alchemist's gluten free saison that is all over town, I think it's kinda gross, but then again I've never had a gluten free beer that I liked.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I just drank the Hap N' Harry's Lynchburg Lager. I poured it out. I don't think I've ever done that to a beer before. Imagine cat urine and baby vomit. Can't believe yazoo brewed that shit.

Eep. I hope the recipe direction came more from Jack's corporate overlords rather than Linus and that Linus is just happy to fill some excess capacity.

Too bad too, Pre-Prohibition American Lagers can be awesome.

I've got a Berliner Weisse on tap at the Church if anyone is in Pittsburgh, let me know.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Picked up Left Hand's Oktoberfest, and it has an unexpected kick to it.

Tis tasty, but not as good as St. Arnold's. Also, we got like a ton of Oktoberfests from different breweries, including a case of Erdinger's that wasn't supposed to be delivered to us. If I hadn't already bought Left Hand's, I would have gotten that one.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Anybody in the MD know of any good local or even non local beers there, last year when I was there the selection was piss poor.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Eep. I hope the recipe direction came more from Jack's corporate overlords rather than Linus and that Linus is just happy to fill some excess capacity.

Too bad too, Pre-Prohibition American Lagers can be awesome.

I've got a Berliner Weisse on tap at the Church if anyone is in Pittsburgh, let me know.

You want to recommend some pre-prohibition styled American lagers?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Tried "Pliny The Elder" Russian River Brewery for the first time it was fantastic.

Can't get enough of Lagunitas brews, but I find myself always going back to Dogfish. Dogfish "Sah'tea" may be my favorite!

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I got a giant update for you guys. Last week, I was invited to attend a beer pairing dinner at the Blackfinn restaurant here in Houston. It was for my work's employees and managers only, and best of all, it was FREE BEER AND FOOD.

That said, here's our menu:
menung.jpg

We started off with some pre-dinner beers. I had Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and a pre-prohibition lager called Batch 19. Both were good, but I had a good laugh when I saw the lager was made by Coors. They also served us Harvest Moon's Pumpkin Ale with a pumpkin cheesecake shot that was better than the beer itself:
shandy.jpg

b19s.jpg

hmpumpkin.jpg

When we finally started dinner, I was admittedly tipsy. And at least the food was good for the most part. We began with the French onion soup paired with St. Stefanus Blonde. It was pretty light and citrusy.
ststeph.jpg

soupo.jpg

Next was a seafood salad, AKA the salad where everything was overpowered by celery, including the IPAs that went with it. We had Harvey Weinhard's IPA and Worthington's IPA. Since I'm not a huge IPA person, I downed both of these pretty fast. Not as hoppy as I expected, but still kind of bitter.
saladzj.jpg

beer1r.jpg

worthj.jpg

Our main course consisted of a chicken stuffed with sausage and wrapped in bacon served with asparagus and sweet potatoes. T'was delicious and served with even more Batch 19.
chix.jpg

Finally, we got the smallest key lime pie I've ever seen in my life. While it was tasty, I could have done with about four more of them. It was served with Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy in a fancy-pants champagne glass.
piep.jpg

lbshandy.jpg

At the end of the night, I walked away with a Harvey Weinhard work shirt, a Blue Moon hat, three beer glasses (including that St. Stefanus one), and a sampler six pack of beer. All in all, a good night.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I grabbed this one today:

pumpkinjm.jpg

This is Karbach Brewery's limited edition seasonal. My store only got two cases, and they were down to three bottles when I came on shift. I won't be drinking it until Sunday, so I'll let you guys know what I think then.