NGCD Warning Message

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I was playing Fatal Fury 3 CD earlier, and after winning the "accident" mid-boss fight against Ryuji Yamazaki, this screen came up and the game stopped. I was playing an actual SNK disc, I don't even have any burned games. This has never happened before, so I was taken aback. After turning the power off and restarting the game, it played fine with no issues, but I stopped after a short while, just wanted to make sure it still worked. Has anyone ever gotten this screen before? Is this the screen that comes up when the console doesn't like a burned disc? I've had no other issues with the console.

20210604-185006.jpg

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
You got hacked by the Fury Manghost.

prof

I should have mentioned that. I have a standard top loading model.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Now that is impressive, since OG Neo CDs didn’t even use copy protection! :) I’m sort of surprised FF3 has this feature since there was no way to use it at the time.

The worst thing about copy protection is that it often screws totally legitimate users. Hopefully this was a very rare error and none of us will ever see it again.

prof

Hopefully it was just a weird glitch and it won't happen again. I was just curious if anyone had encountered that before, but I guess it's a rare occurrence.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Very curious what conditions from the drive trigger this.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah copy protected games can trigger their "bomb" if a drive isn't in top shape since the check is executed periodically. Your drive is already a bit worn out...

I'd strongly recommend you to buy a Neo CD SD Loader, if not for playing games on your Neo CD daily with really fast loading times, at least for future proofing... but it seems that the last batch already ended and there will be no more units made. A real bummer. http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/sale.php

prof

Gah, that's bad news. I was looking into the sd loader a few months ago, but they were sold out, said he was going to list them again, but I forgot to check back in time.

My Neo CD console is in excellent condition too, at least cosmetically, it looks like it was barely ever used. But the drive itself is still 25 years old, so even without regular use, I imagine the rubber bits and whatnot can start to go bad. I will say that after playing for an hour or so, when I eject the disc, it has a slight smell. It's not hot or anything, and when taking it apart, everything looks fine, but after spinning discs for a while, it gets a little bit of a smell. Like hot rubber or something. I guess she's on her way out.

prof

Well, I had one in the early aughts. I bought it from a shop and it died within a year. Stopped reading discs. It looked kind of rough when I bought it though. But I came across my current unit a few months ago, and got a great deal. I swear it looked practically new, the controllers were still in those little plastic bags. So, I'm a little disappointed this happened. And I've got a bad NGCD history, so hence my pessimism. Haha

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Gah, that's bad news. I was looking into the sd loader a few months ago, but they were sold out, said he was going to list them again, but I forgot to check back in time.

My Neo CD console is in excellent condition too, at least cosmetically, it looks like it was barely ever used. But the drive itself is still 25 years old, so even without regular use, I imagine the rubber bits and whatnot can start to go bad. I will say that after playing for an hour or so, when I eject the disc, it has a slight smell. It's not hot or anything, and when taking it apart, everything looks fine, but after spinning discs for a while, it gets a little bit of a smell. Like hot rubber or something. I guess she's on her way out.
I find that "smell" to be pretty common with old electronics with a built-in PSU (since they have huge ass caps on them), but I'm not sure about the neo. Don't fret too much about it, just be ready for it when it eventually dies (no, a 1990 CD pickup will not outlive you lmao), as there's no original new replacements to be found anymore. Mine still works fine but I chose to make a "zombie" out of it with the option that still lets me use the drive (must be a zombie from 28 Days Later since it loads stuff in a speed a brand new CDZ could only dream of).

Also furrtek made the design of his Neo CD SD Loader open IIRC, so someone might eventually manufacture more of them. But honestly, if this isn't available when you need it I'd just move to a MVS setup.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I like having an original unmodded NGCD. The original experience is nostalgic, and the system generally doesn't see heavy use anymore. Plus I still like measuring the original load times for my Youtube series.

If I played it a lot, or the drive started to die, then yeah, I'd try to get the SD loader.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I like having an original unmodded NGCD. The original experience is nostalgic, and the system generally doesn't see heavy use anymore. Plus I still like measuring the original load times for my Youtube series.

If I played it a lot, or the drive started to die, then yeah, I'd try to get the SD loader.
If you don't let a video capture play in real time in your videos, for Giga Power game ports, then you're not representing the OG Neo CD experience. :lolz:

The time it's going to take for you to get to those games in your youtube channel is roughly the time needed to complete Art Of Loading 3 on the Neo CD, yes, but I get the feeling you'll still be doing videos until then.

prof

The cd load times usually don't bother me. I steer clear of the later games that are notorious though. But honestly, most of the games I have are pretty quick. And I don't mind a 20-30 second break here or there. Let's me gulp a drink or munch a snack.

Now, when I go to start a game on the xbox, and find out that there's another fricking download that's gonna take a half hour before I can play, I get a little testy. I swear, we have seriously regressed when it comes to load times. Ha

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The cd load times usually don't bother me. I steer clear of the later games that are notorious though. But honestly, most of the games I have are pretty quick. And I don't mind a 20-30 second break here or there. Let's me gulp a drink or munch a snack.

Now, when I go to start a game on the xbox, and find out that there's another fricking download that's gonna take a half hour before I can play, I get a little testy. I swear, we have seriously regressed when it comes to load times. Ha

While I was never a big fan of Neo CD load times (I got mine when KOF 98 came out...oh man is it bad with that game...) I do sometimes wonder if people who complained so much ever had a PlayStation 1 or 2. Street Fighter Zero 1 in PS1 had about Neo CD bad levels of load times and I never heard anyone complain. Even Neo Geo Battle Colosseum on PS2 was pretty terrible. The Sega machines usually did slightly better.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Street Fighter Zero 1 on the PS1? Nah, I don't remember it being bad. The PS1 doesn't even have enough ram to approach NGCD levels of load time with its 2X speed drive. The game would have to be horribly optimized. I recall SF Alpha being fast on the PS1 and Saturn.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Street Fighter Zero was the game I bought with my japanese PS1 at the time and it's absolutely fine... it's like 7 to 10 seconds per round. Long but not KOF long. You need to go back and play some of it. Neo CD ports are just as annoying though.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Not sure if you're aware but you can retain the CD drive with the SD Loader and maintain normal functionality.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Not sure if you're aware but you can retain the CD drive with the SD Loader and maintain normal functionality.
Yeah, I will probably get one at some point. There isn't a huge reason for me to do so currently. If I was seriously putting some time into a lot of larger games, it would be needed.