NGF: The Definitive Poll

How do you feel about NGF?

• Total voters

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Anyway, don't just vote - share your thoughts on your choice.

Personally, I never liked the insert shredding. While some may not think it was a big deal, being part of a "Neo Geo" community, I didn't like it at all. The chatlog between Dion and Clint bothers me to this day, too. Also, Dion scamming $150 from Mikhail, and then justifying it by giving him an imaginary bill that he didn't agree to. I didn't like the headlock picture, either. Regardless if it was staged or not, what kind of message were you trying to send with it? Don't talk bad about you guys on the internet?

I admire their collections, and it's always cool to see them post some of the rarer stuff that they have. But, when I take everything into account, the bad out-weighs the good for me.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am wondering why thread authors don't put "veterans only" in their thread title if thats what they want. The new guys know where the line is then.

On the flipside if a thread author is ok with new guys posting a simple "noobs ok" in the thread title will suffice.

Side note: it would be very interesting to have a veterans poll and a noob poll running parallel.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This poll is for everybody. Even the new guys who don't know every piece of history. We were all those at one point. I actually came pretty close to buying a US KOF2000 from Dion when I first joined. When I posted a question about it, everybody came running in with their point of view, and I thought, if there's this much drama surrounding the release, it's best I sit this one out. I'm thankful for them helping me out at the time.

So, yeah, it doesn't matter if you've been here a long time, or if you're stupid, or whatever, this poll is for everybody.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
I guess I do

ali2.jpg

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Yeah, according to all the "BIG TYMERS", If your arrival is after 2007 or you don't have a post count of over several thousand than you have no say so in this matter turn around and let teh big tymers answer.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I think that all the insert shredding, intimidating, and such was all just a ploy to "leave a big ol NGF stamp" on the history of the Neo. However, with all the amazing stuff the two have access too, they could have done it without all these negative actions.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
One rung above gypsies, one rung below used car salesman.

Unlike gypsies they stick around after they feed you a line of bullshit and fuck you.

Unlike used car salesmen they would get a nice BMW sand the favtory paint off and spray paint it matte orange and tell you that they corrected an error.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Anyway, don't just vote - share your thoughts on your choice.

Personally, I never liked the insert shredding. While some may not think it was a big deal, being part of a "Neo Geo" community, I didn't like it at all. The chatlog between Dion and Clint bothers me to this day, too. Also, Dion scamming $150 from Mikhail, and then justifying it by giving him an imaginary bill that he didn't agree to. I didn't like the headlock picture, either. Regardless if it was staged or not, what kind of message were you trying to send with it? Don't talk bad about you guys on the internet?

I admire their collections, and it's always cool to see them post some of the rarer stuff that they have. But, when I take everything into account, the bad out-weighs the good for me.

The inserts thing bothers me also. They were pieces of Neo Geo history we can never get back. It's not like your kid knocked a cup of juice on it or the insert was damaged in a flood. Those inserts were proudly shredded with pictures taken. Why? How is that helping the community in the least? I don't believe there's an acceptable answer.

There are other things that can be debated or can be viewed differently but the inserts destruction can't.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The inserts thing bothers me also. They were pieces of Neo Geo history we can never get back. It's not like your kid knocked a cup of juice on it or the insert was damaged in a flood. Those inserts were proudly shredded with pictures taken. Why? How is that helping the community in the least? I don't believe there's an acceptable answer.

There are other things that can be debated or can be viewed differently but the inserts destruction can't.

You have to remember that happened a long time ago. If you gave them a bunch of neo games in 2012 they wouldn't do that. Who could have predicted back then that some of those games would be worth as much as they are now. There was no such thing as a rare valuable game once upon a time. It would be like now if someone went and got 1000 copies of Gears of War and ran over it with a monster truck, it's just a publicity stunt. The shreading thing seems to have done it's job because here we are talking about it over a decade later.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You have to remember that happened a long time ago. If you gave them a bunch of neo games in 2012 they wouldn't do that. Who could have predicted back then that some of those games would be worth as much as they are now. There was no such thing as a rare valuable game once upon a time. It would be like now if someone went and got 1000 copies of Gears of War and ran over it with a monster truck, it's just a publicity stunt. The shreading thing seems to have done it's job because here we are talking about it over a decade later.

What are you talking about? Plenty of games were rare back then. Do you want to be remembered for something bad a decade later, as long as you're remembered?

theMot

10 Year Member
What are you talking about? Plenty of games were rare back then. Do you want to be remembered for something bad a decade later, as long as you're remembered?

Hard to find maybe yeah, but you were not paying $1000+ for it. People need to get a grip, they are acting like NGF personally shreaded their first born or something.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
None of the poll options reflect my view right now. I think all of you neo vets engaged in feuds make each other look bad with all of your mud slinging and make the truth, if there is a definitive truth, more difficult to understand. I don't like the general "noobs should not post in such a thread" attitude. Outside of that, this place is actually good when noobs need help though, like when I got advice on how to clean carts and when Pipes helped me get inserts.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Hard to find maybe yeah, but you were not paying $1000+ for it. People need to get a grip, they are acting like NGF personally shreaded their first born or something.

Homecarts weren't cheap back then. Saying NGF wouldn't do it today because of the value is also false. They really did think they were correcting the inserts. They ultimately did it for them, not the people.

Also, just because people didn't like what they did with the inserts doesn't mean they're acting like they "personally shreaded their first born." Sometimes, not liking something is not liking something. Try not to belittle other people's opinions.

theMot

10 Year Member
Also, just because people didn't like what they did with the inserts doesn't mean they're acting like they "personally shreaded their first born." Sometimes, not liking something is not liking something. Try not to belittle other people's opinions.

Soilwork, im not belittling people, I don't "like" that they shreaded inserts but by the same token I don't really give a shit either. They are not my games so why should I care? At the end of the day NGF purchased those games themselves to resell, so they are their games. If they want to shred them up, burn the remains and take a dump on it what's it to me or anyone else? It's a bit of publicity for them and thats all it is. As for the correcting inserts, it may seem sacrilegious these days but it's a a very common thing (even in this day) for the importer/distributor to alter packaging of products to "show off" their brand. There is the debate about if they did infact have permission to do this but even if they didn't it was and is a very common thing to do.

I have a packet of biscuits sitting on my desk imported from Italy that has the local distributors sticker over the label. Should I go kick up a stink about it on www.biscuit-forum.com ???

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Soilwork, im not belittling people, I don't "like" that they shreaded inserts but by the same token I don't really give a shit either. They are not my games so why should I care? At the end of the day NGF purchased those games themselves to resell, so they are their games. If they want to shred them up, burn the remains and take a dump on it what's it to me or anyone else? It's a bit of publicity for them and thats all it is. As for the correcting inserts, it may seem sacrilegious these days but it's a a very common thing (even in this day) for the imorter/distributor to alter packaging of products to "show off" their brand. There is the debate about if they did infact have permission to do this but even if they didn't it was and is a very common thing to do.

When you say people are acting like NGF is shredding their first borns, that is belittling their opinions. You, personally, don't have to care. Nobody is saying you do. Some people in the community do, though, especially the real passionate fans. If you're a fan of anything, most likely you don't like seeing the very thing you're a fan of be destroyed. Maybe you're just a casual guy who's interested in the hobby, that's not a bad thing. But are you really going to feign ignorance as to why people don't like shredding inserts, when, by your own admission, you don't like it either? A lot of things are common practice that people don't like. Being a common practice has no bearing on if I choose to like something, or not.

I think many people's problem was that it was a publicity stunt that involved the destroying of Neo Geo merchandise. In fact, most things NGF did involved negative publicity. They thrive on it. Again, why should the fact that it's a publicity stunt make it any better?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Here's why I said "newbies shouldn't post." I'm making sure that fake accounts don't waltz in here and vote. I want people that we actually know that are real humans are voting.

But, let's face it, people that got here two months ago aren't going to remember laughing about a dear friend's fatal disease, won't remember being put into head locks, being ridiculed and cheated out of money and carts (I was personally ripped off by being sold a copy of Mutation Nation that wasn't as described, and he personally waited to mail me the game for about 2 months to be a dick). They're fuckers, plain and simple, and many newer people will only see what they want you to see. Poor, innocent NGF. My white ass they are.

theMot

10 Year Member
When you say people are acting like NGF is shredding their first borns, that is belittling their opinions. You, personally, don't have to care. Nobody is saying you do. Some people in the community do, though, especially the real passionate fans. If you're a fan of anything, most likely you don't like seeing the very thing you're a fan of be destroyed. Maybe you're just a casual guy who's interested in the hobby, that's not a bad thing. But are you really going to feign ignorance as to why people don't like shredding inserts, when, by your own admission, you don't like it either? A lot of things are common practice that people don't like. Being a common practice has no bearing on if I choose to like something, or not.

I think many people's problem was that it was a publicity stunt that involved the destroying of Neo Geo merchandise. In fact, most things NGF did involved negative publicity. They thrive on it. Again, why should the fact that it's a publicity stunt make it any better?

Soilwork, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on this. I think if you take it for what it was back in the day, as a stunt, it's not the end of the world. I suppose there is a bunch of Fender guiter fans out there on a forum somewhere who moan and complain everytime a band smashs up their equipment after a gig too. Rabid fans witnessing the destruction of their fantasy is never a good mix. :D

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Soilwork, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on this. I think if you take it for what it was back in the day, as a stunt, it's not the end of the world. I suppose there is a bunch of Fender guiter fans out there on a forum somewhere who moan and complain everytime a band smashs up their equipment after a gig too. Rabid fans witnessing the destruction of their fantasy is never a good mix. :D

You have any close friends that were super sweet that died too young? Lemme know, I wanna tell you about him or her... something horrible.

Because, I'm sure you will be fine with that... right? No, you wouldn't be? Well, now you've got me REALLY confused.

theMot

10 Year Member
Here's why I said "newbies shouldn't post." I'm making sure that fake accounts don't waltz in here and vote. I want people that we actually know that are real humans are voting.

Spike, as if you didn't already know what the result of this poll was going to be the minute it was posted.

But, let's face it, people that got here two months ago aren't going to remember laughing about a dear friend's fatal disease, won't remember being put into head locks, being ridiculed and cheated out of money and carts (I was personally ripped off by being sold a copy of Mutation Nation that wasn't as described, and he personally waited to mail me the game for about 2 months to be a dick). They're fuckers, plain and simple, and many newer people will only see what they want you to see. Poor, innocent NGF. My white ass they are.

I can't comment on the friend dying or the head lock but I know one thing as someone who's been in business for a quite a while. You'll never keep all your customers happy (especially when it comes to a hobby like the neo) and 1 upset customer can drown out the many happy ones easily. Im not defending NGF on this as they obviously made mistakes but from what I can gather they were only "puppies" in business at that stage and likely could of handeled their customer relations better than they did.