Nightmare in the Dark garbled graphics

white castle

1.21 Gigawatts!, It's hard to get up to 88mph on t
15 Year Member
My Nightmare in the Dark cartridge works perfectly on my 6-slot and 4-slot boards.
It does not work on any of my single slot boards.
I have tested it on 1T, 1A, 1FS, 1FZ, 1FZS, and 1B.
They all display this:
image.jpg

Does anyone know what would cause this?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Wow, that's bizarre. Is this an original cart? I can't imagine why a bootleg would behave like that either, but that's the strangest thing that you can't get it to work in any 1 slot you've tried.

white castle

15 Year Member
It is an original cart. I also made sure all the jumpers are correct.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be a power issue. Make sure the 1 slots are all good.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Did you clean the cart? Pencil erasers and Brasso are your friend. Also, I like that I get to give advice to WC for a change. ;)

white castle

15 Year Member
I did clear backup ram. That is not the issue.
Not a power issue either. All the one slots are good. I use them all and they can run all my other games without issue.

white castle

15 Year Member
Yes it's clean.
Do multislot boards read the s rom differently than single slot boards?

Edit- I just remembered it has a chafio board with the neo-cmc.

Did you clean the cart? Pencil erasers and Brasso are your friend. Also, I like that I get to give advice to WC for a change. ;)
What MVS hardware do you have? I only created this topic because I remembered it doesn't work on one slot boards after I said I would bring it to your house.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's pretty weird that it won't work on a 1 slot. Judging from the pic the CMC is busted. You sure this still works on the 4/6 slots?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
It's pretty weird that it won't work on a 1 slot. Judging from the pic the CMC is busted. You sure this still works on the 4/6 slots?

I agree. If you're 4-6 slots still have the decrypt data on them (in backup RAM) that would explain why they still work. I'd be willing to bet if you cleared backup on them, they'd stop working. If any post-2000 MVS game works on your 1-slots, then that re-affirms. P.S. that sucks.

white castle

15 Year Member

Absolutely. I was asked to check it out for a repair two years ago. I ended up buying it for a decent price due to it working on my 6 slot. I just played it last night on my 6 slot and 4 slot.
I'll just sac a Garou for the CMC.

J/k just wanted to make people cringe.

white castle

15 Year Member
I agree. If you're 4-6 slots still have the decrypt data on them (in backup RAM) that would explain why they still work. I'd be willing to bet if you cleared backup on them, they'd stop working. If any post-2000 MVS game works on your 1-slots, then that re-affirms. P.S. that sucks.

I'd be willing to bet it still works after the backup ram is cleared. What's your wager?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Absolutely. I was asked to check it out for a repair two years ago. I ended up buying it for a decent price due to it working on my 6 slot. I just played it last night on my 6 slot and 4 slot.
I'll just sac a Garou for the CMC.

J/k just wanted to make people cringe.

No, don't sac a MOTW: Sac PI2. It a rescue game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd love to see video proof of this whole thing, if you're bored.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, that sure is scary with you not talking and all... feels a little like blair witch.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I only saw 2 of the 6 1 slots mentioned in the video...jk

You want to send it over to me so I can check it out? I'm really curious about this one.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
my two cents: if you have chance, better sac a kof99 instead a more pricey and rarer garou or ph2.
I still don't get if the backup clear did some change.
I saw your 1-slot have unibios inside. Before saccing anything, have you tried with standard bios? Also, did you tried the 6-slot with the nitd alone?