Nightmare in the Dark

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
I have been playing NITD lately but cant find any decent strategy info out there. First off, sometimes when i kill an enemy a skull drops instead of a jewel. When i grab it i get points but a kind of awkward soud follows. I think i lose my power ups but i am not sure. Also i found that you can actually move it if you shoot it with flame. Is there a purpose to this??? Also any boss strategies would be appreciated.

daybona

Juz,
If memory serves me correctly, Tonk is the best NITD player on these boards. I would PM him for some strats.

You may have to bribe him with diesel fuel but its worth a shot!

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I have been playing NITD lately but cant find any decent strategy info out there. First off, sometimes when i kill an enemy a skull drops instead of a jewel. When i grab it i get points but a kind of awkward soud follows. I think i lose my power ups but i am not sure. Also i found that you can actually move it if you shoot it with flame. Is there a purpose to this??? Also any boss strategies would be appreciated.

Yes, it's a power-down. It's there to fuck you over if you pick it up. That's why you can shoot it with the flame, to push it away when it's overlapping the bonus items worth picking up.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks guys, .... i half wondered if it wasnt there so you could shoot it into your partner and screw him in 2 player mode ...

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
The main trick is to set up all the enemies so you can wipe them out with one fireball. Just stun the enemies to line them up how you need them for that level layout and then throw your fireball.

Then set yourself up to get everything when the big diamond explodes. If you set yourself in the right position you can get everything right as it comes out. This is true for the bosses as well.

Also, milk the boss levels. Hang around and blast away the "minor" enemies. Leave the boss for the last few seconds.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Yes, it's a power-down. It's there to fuck you over if you pick it up. That's why you can shoot it with the flame, to push it away when it's overlapping the bonus items worth picking up.

I can't think of any other game that gives a solution to the overlapping problem. Awesome design addition.

Also, milk the boss levels. Hang around and blast away the "minor" enemies. Leave the boss for the last few seconds.

Milking sucks. There's no point.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If you're going for score there is especially when you have a great multiplier.

Milking isn't allowed in competitions... so people going for score wouldn't do it to begin with, and going for it would then be fruitless.

If you can get fewer points legit it means more than getting a multiplier that's milked.

I'd like to leave it at that. :smirk:

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
While I have some folks attention .... how does the multiplier work. Is it just on a case by case basis or do you carry it for doing good stuff??

As far as milking goes .... you have the timer for a reason ... you can't milk forever so it is totally legit as far as i am concerned.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
While I have some folks attention .... how does the multiplier work. Is it just on a case by case basis or do you carry it for doing good stuff??

As far as milking goes .... you have the timer for a reason ... you can't milk forever so it is totally legit as far as i am concerned.

Timers suck, too. ;)

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Timers suck, too. ;)

Only if you suck at the game :D

I don't really care about competitions and have never seen a NiTD competition listed for ANY gaming event, but milking points in the time limit allowed is part of the games design.

Playing games for 1cc and personal high scores is what adds the replay value to arcade games.

Anyway, back on topic...

The multiplier increases after you have picked up an item and subsequently pick that item up again and each time thereafter. I can't remember if there is a cap on the maximum multiplier or exactly how many of the same # of items need to be picked up to increase it each time. If an item is worth 500 base points (1x multiplier) then at 2x = 1000, 16x= 8000 for that same item :D. Build it up quick and ten try not to get killed as you'll be back to base points for all items retrieved until you build up the multiplier again.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
The multiplier increases after you have picked up an item and subsequently pick that item up again and each time thereafter. I can't remember if there is a cap on the maximum multiplier or exactly how many of the same # of items need to be picked up to increase it each time. If an item is worth 500 base points (1x multiplier) then at 2x = 1000, 16x= 8000 for that same item :D. Build it up quick and ten try not to get killed as you'll be back to base points for all items retrieved until you build up the multiplier again.

I haven't played in a while but I'm pretty sure 8x is the highest multiplier. I don't know if this is the correct strategy, but I usually try to kill enemies on the first few stages 1 by 1 to get as many power ups as I can. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a multiplier bag or two and at worst speed up or fire up per stage. Then you're usually maxed for the stage 1-5 boss. It's all random though.

It may be time to throw it back in the cab tonight.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What? How is that not fair?

Depends. In general it's usually a dishonorable practice. Some competitions only ban the milking if it's a bug or if something is continuous, and others ban milking on the fact that it does not continue the progress of the game.

I'm just bitter about playing for points. I think it diverts creative gameplay and corrupts how we'd otherwise want to experience the game.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Depends. In general it's usually a dishonorable practice. Some competitions only ban the milking if it's a bug or if something is continuous, and others ban milking on the fact that it does not continue the progress of the game.

I'm just bitter about playing for points. I think it diverts creative gameplay and corrupts how we'd otherwise want to experience the game.

What competitions? I played Nightmare in the Dark for a Twin Galaxies MAME tourney and they allowed milking/leeching. What other competitions have actually had Nightmare in the Dark tournaments?

Leeching's only "dishonorable" if it can be done infinitely, which it definitely can't in this game. While I can understand why you would oppose it, saying it "diverts creative gameplay" is bull. You have to be creative to find all the ways to press as many points as possible out of the game.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Throw some tips out there BBH. I know you've got some. I've seen those insane scores of yours posted all over the place.

BTW is that your 5+ million score I saw for Rygar somewhere on the net? Impressive, what difficulty where you on?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Throw some tips out there BBH. I know you've got some. I've seen those insane scores of yours posted all over the place.

Like what? Most of the basic gists of the game have already been mentioned - get the multiplier up to x8 as soon as possible (which is random), clear as many levels as possible with one fireball, milk the bosses a little, and don't die. Past that it's hard to be specific unless you're looking for patterns to clear levels with one fireball, and I haven't played the game in a couple years so my memory of that is a little spotty.

BTW is that your 5+ million score I saw for Rygar somewhere on the net? Impressive, what difficulty where you on?

Yeah. Default difficulty level. Now that's a game where leeching gets stupid. :( I've seen a recording of 8.3 million and it was a whoooooole lot of leeching.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What competitions? I played Nightmare in the Dark for a Twin Galaxies MAME tourney and they allowed milking/leeching. What other competitions have actually had Nightmare in the Dark tournaments?

Not speaking about NiTD in specific, just generally between all games. "Competitions" was a poor choice of words on my behalf I admit. Competitions usually see points as necessity... you're not graded like an ice skater (no offense BBH :kekeke: ).
Leeching's only "dishonorable" if it can be done infinitely, which it definitely can't in this game. While I can understand why you would oppose it, saying it "diverts creative gameplay" is bull. You have to be creative to find all the ways to press as many points as possible out of the game.

Right, but then you're still playing in a confined method. Creative gameplay would involve playing for speed, precision, points, etc, and mixing it up... sacrificing one at the opportunity of another whenever you want because you know you're the baddest motherfucker.

:p;):loco:

Edit: Just pressing buttons with you guys. In NiTD it isn't bad at all. I do hate when games force you to play a certain way for points (more prevalent in shooters).

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Yeah. Default difficulty level. Now that's a game where leeching gets stupid. :( I've seen a recording of 8.3 million and it was a whoooooole lot of leeching.

You aren't kidding. I was reading a faq where the author stated 100000 should be the point mark at the end of the first level. I can only pull out 60000 with dodging death for 3 or 4 passes. I'll be happy for a 1cc on that one with a final score close to 5 million.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
OK .... I think I am figuring things out. One more question. Whats up with the treasure chests. When i pick them up it makes kind of a funny sound as well. Are they strictly points or is there more to it??

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'm pretty sure treasure chests always give 1000 pts. I'm about to run through a game right now.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure treasure chests always give 1000 pts. I'm about to run through a game right now.

You want to stand next to the treasure chests and shoot them. Each shot releases gems netting a lot more points than just picking the chest up.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
You want to stand next to the treasure chests and shoot them. Each shot releases gems netting a lot more points than just picking the chest up.

I...never...knew...that...

Thank you kind sir for the enlightenment.