Nights into Dreams HD out now on XBLA and PSN

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Nights into Dreams HD just came out today (October 5th) on XBLA for 800MS points, and I think came out a few days ago on PSN for $10. Just played through the first stage and I gotta say looks pretty good. The game also includes the original Saturn version and X-mas Nights.

Just a heads up for those interested

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
It's fun.

Unfortunately movement is 8-way.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I didn't see it on the 360 marketplace, but it was up for 10 bucks on PS3 with no demo. I want to see how it controls before I buy it. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying the two copies of Christmas NiGHTS when they were at the local Blockbuster for 2 bucks each.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I didn't see it on the 360 marketplace, but it was up for 10 bucks on PS3 with no demo. I want to see how it controls before I buy it. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying the two copies of Christmas NiGHTS when they were at the local Blockbuster for 2 bucks each.

I picked up Christmas Nights JP for $7 a few weeks ago. It comes in a real case.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Gotta clear some HD space before I dl it, them free games add up

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

I didnt see it on my 360, but bought it by logging in on my computer. Then buying it off their website. I couldnt wait. Controls are pretty good IMO.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying the two copies of Christmas NiGHTS when they were at the local Blockbuster for 2 bucks each.

You make it sound as if Christmas Nights is a rare and expensive game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
holy shit when did that happen

man I've been out of the USA Saturn loop for years

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
It happened a couple years back for god knows what reason, though the price was much worse (it capped at 100 at one point). The vintage game market is pretty crazy these days.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I remember seeing it going for over 50 bucks when I got my Saturn a few years ago. The prices for older games is really insane now. People are charging almost what they'd cost new. I almost wanted to laugh at this one store called 8 Bit and Up in New York City that was selling a loose cart of Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers for 60 dollars. The game new was 50!

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
how is the wii version?
I just got a wii and am kinda looking for one in the wild
but haven't found one that isn't the disc only.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
how is the wii version?

The Wii version is not that great, the control's aren't that great, and the visual's in my opinion look better in the original!.

Now back to the XBLA, for the price it is a steal, though I feel the control system is a bit of a let down!, compared to saturn analogue, it didn't seem as responsive to the movements.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I remember owning this on Saturn 12 or 13 years ago. I played it a handful of times, and I remembered liking it. I downloaded the demo, and I just can't stand it. The controls are so off, and you fly way too damn fast (and take up way too much screen real estate for how fast you go), that I can't understand why I have such fond memories of it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
how is the wii version?
The Wii version has a terrible story, cringeworthy voicework, and the gameplay falls short of the original, but I still very much enjoyed it. It still has that relaxing feel and whimsical gameplay.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I remember owning this on Saturn 12 or 13 years ago. I played it a handful of times, and I remembered liking it. I downloaded the demo, and I just can't stand it. The controls are so off, and you fly way too damn fast (and take up way too much screen real estate for how fast you go), that I can't understand why I have such fond memories of it.
The XBLA/PSN version only supports 8-way control whereas the original was full 360 degree control provided you had a Saturn 3D controller. The Saturn version is much better, but it looks like ass on a modern TV. I keep my Saturn hooked up to a nice CRT for that reason.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Why does it only have 8-way control? Sounds broken. Analog was so important to this game that they had to design a new controller.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The Wii version is not that great, the control's aren't that great, and the visual's in my opinion look better in the original!.

Now back to the XBLA, for the price it is a steal, though I feel the control system is a bit of a let down!, compared to saturn analogue, it didn't seem as responsive to the movements.

dsc00420ch2.jpg

really?

I mean, this taco has been in your sig like forever. Like since I last posted here regularly 4 years ago.

What the fuck is so special about this taco?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Why does it only have 8-way control? Sounds broken. Analog was so important to this game that they had to design a new controller.

PATCHED TODAY!

24-way analog control, Saturn spec drill dash.

Dig It!

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I picked it up on release. SEGA has been hitting some good marks lately with their digital releases. I played through the first stage and got frustrated on the second due to the wonky controls. It just didn't feel smooth.

I'm super stoked that they actually patched the game. 90% of digital releases, especially retro releases, are just thrown out there with some shitty filters and never touched again. Very happy to see that SEGA took notice of fan complaints and fixed it. They are slowly earning my respect again. I'm going to tear it up with some NiGHTS this weekend now! Thanks for the heads up!

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I picked it up on release. SEGA has been hitting some good marks lately with their digital releases. I played through the first stage and got frustrated on the second due to the wonky controls. It just didn't feel smooth.

I'm super stoked that they actually patched the game. 90% of digital releases, especially retro releases, are just thrown out there with some shitty filters and never touched again. Very happy to see that SEGA took notice of fan complaints and fixed it. They are slowly earning my respect again. I'm going to tear it up with some NiGHTS this weekend now! Thanks for the heads up!

It's like some companies are finally getting back to the idea that treating the customer well will yield more profit in the end. I swear, I've bought nearly every Steam PC release from SEGA in the past year, and I've gladly paid day 1 full price for all of them. I plan on paying day 1 full price for Nights and the new Sonic racing game when they come out, too. If they ported some other games like Virtua Fighter 5 and Afterburner Climax to Steam, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, too.

SSS

neo retired
I'm more surprised by the original Saturn version included. I see texture smoothing and anti-aliasing to some degree which is a complete surprise.

Saturn emulation has always been a bitch, and the best emulator for PC, SSF doesn't have any sort of video enhancements.

If this Nights version truly is emulated, perhaps we might see some downloadable saturn titles. Panzer series?