Nintendo 3DS shuts down

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Does anyone know what to do with a 3DS XL that turns off shortly after powering it on? The LED is said to light up blue which seems normal from what Google told me.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Can you see something briefly on the screen?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does it do this with and without the charger plugged in?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I just got it in the mail last night.

When i open it about 5mm only, it seems to go right into some sort of sleep mode. The LED looks like the "breathing" one on older iBooks. When I open it a bit more, I get some sort of cracking noise from the speakers and it shuts right off.
My phone's battery just died. I will take a video once it's done charging.

The system came without a charger and I don't have a compatible one at the moment, but I ordered a USB charging cable that should be here in a few days.
Maybe it's just the battery that might simply be dead and needs a re-charge. I know chances are slim, but maybe the previous owner didn't have a charger either, didn't know how to charge it and thus sold it as broken. Now THAT would be awesome. :D I paid 85€ shipped for the Xl and it looks brand new. Also, it's the limited white version that sells on Amazon for 230€.

Someone on the AO forums told me to ask Nintendo, if they are willing fix it under warranty.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
From the sound of it, it sounds like a dead battery to me. I recently had to repair a ds lite that wouldnt hold a charge(had a blown fuse) and on start up I would get the power on led then it blinks and it would shut off.

P.s the 3ds xl does not come with a charger from Nintendo. When I bought mine when it released in Japan it didn't come with one and here in the US also they don't come with a charger.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
P.s the 3ds xl does not come with a charger from Nintendo. When I bought mine when it released in Japan it didn't come with one and here in the US also they don't come with a charger.

My US Pikachu 3DS XL did come with a charger from Nintendo...I'm looking at it right now. It has the Nintendo logo and everything.

If you have a DSi XL, the charger on it will work with the 3DS XL.

If the blue light still lingers, that means its in sleep mode (that slow glow with the LED). Try couple things:

-Battery pull: remove the battery for several minutes then reinstall it.

-Reset: Hold the shoulder buttons and power button.

Here's the troubleshooting page:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_index.jsp

The batteries in the XL's tend to last pretty long if they haven't been powered on for a while.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
My US Pikachu 3DS XL did come with a charger from Nintendo...I'm looking at it right now. It has the Nintendo logo and everything.

If you have a DSi XL, the charger on it will work with the 3DS XL.

If the blue light still lingers, that means its in sleep mode (that slow glow with the LED). Try couple things:

-Battery pull: remove the battery for several minutes then reinstall it.

-Reset: Hold the shoulder buttons and power button.

Here's the troubleshooting page:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_index.jsp

The batteries in the XL's tend to last pretty long if they haven't been powered on for a while.

The pikachu one is special lol. But I could be wrong on the us market. I know when I bought mine in Japan nintendo announced not including it with the Japanese release which is why I had to buy one lol.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
The european one that I got didn't come with a charger.

I took it apart and found some sticky stuff inside the system, which probably was dried up cola. Cleaned all of that stuff out and noticed that one of the ribbon cables that come from the upper screen looks corroded/black. I'm pretty sure that the system needs a new screen.
I'll see what Nintendo's repair guys have to say, before going through with plan B. Plan B being to get a screen from another junk system and selling what's left as spares. Still better than spending 240€ on the limited Mario Kart bundle.