Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The thing has enough storage to hold ever NES/Fami/FDS games many times over, it's likely a software limitation since Nintendo hadn't intended for the system to hold so many games. I'm sure hackers will get around that sooner or later.

Still, 90 games is plenty IMO. I don't load full sets on my Everdrives either, just the games I really want to play.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That's a good point. Still not sure I want to be messing with mine yet.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

I tried it just now. Had the rom file of Castlevania III on the laptop in any case, so I just decided to follow the procedure and put that game on the mini-NES just to test it out.

No problems at all. When I get a chance I'll pick and choose which of the original 30 to remove and which others to add.

93PIDMX.jpg

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm assuming this method backs up the default OS/Kernel in case you want to reflash it back to stock?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's a shame that mapper support is limited; this thing is finally cracked open now but it can't handle the entire library. 60 games still fully using the included interface isn't too bad, it's a nice touch that you can add while keeping it 'stock'.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm assuming this method backs up the default OS/Kernel in case you want to reflash it back to stock?

Backing up the original kernel the first time you try to put more games on it is mandatory.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I got mine going. You can add around 60 games to the original 30 before it starts acting up. So not quite the NES library but you can get your favorites added back and have them display in the menu with box art.
Reddit threads been saying that you can flash so many games onto it, but by doing so, you may lose some save state (suspend?) spots; instead of having 4 per game with the OG 30, you might be limited to 3, 2, 1, or no save states the more games you put on, lest you get a c6 error.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5n1sn3/the_new_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

Hakchi2 is relatively safe. I did mine last night and added 26 or so more games to it.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I think if I were to go ahead with adding games I'll have to narrow down a list of like ten. Just to keep save spaces, and such. Maybe fifteen. But I don't want to max it out

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've been reading up on this too. It seems you can get exactly 97 of them (98+ gives a C8 error) on there.

The mapper selection is solid enough to cover the licensed US stuff -- mappers: 0 (NROM), 1 (MMC1), 2 (UxROM), 3 (CNROM), 4 (MMC3), 5 (MMC5), 7 (AxROM), 9 (MMC2), 10 (MMC4).

Considering the guts appear to be a little nicer than the New3DS system perhaps they just lifted and retooled the virtual console from that device?

I know there's a lot of reading involved probably for some in how to do this thing, but in one thread I found this nearly 12min video that shows you how to do the job leaving no worries or concerns about using that GUI for Hakchi2. It goes through backing up your stock firmware as well. You can feel safe just setting up your own list or co-listing games with the Nintendo choices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epP4jBGKPKk

It is nice how it shows the lights on the deck for when to push this or that, and how you can manually google search for box art and entering the data into the fields so it is right on the system when powered up.

When I can find a second one of these I'm going for it, but given how scarce now due to Nintendo shenanigans I'd rather not risk it.

EDIT: Reddit community is working off a Goodtools ROM list and is testing every single game possible and throwing the results in this spreadsheet if anyone is interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QTRTPODrhE5X55EciFsiQZaa-xVGlSD73Rt26Nd2rk0/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
TMNT : The Manhattan Project seems to work on the NES Mini but not on the Famicom mini, least I haven't tried to flash it to the console after getting an error in the hacking tool.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't know if it matters, but the us and jp versions of that is different mappers, I wonder if the emu is trying to load a Konami mapper. Try using the Japanese rom.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah I tried the US ROM. Also some PAL and europe-exclusive games like The Smurfs or Parodius play too fast, just like using the actual carts on a real famicom.

The jap. version of Batman also gave me an error. Got 47 games on mine right now.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Any word on when this will become an actual product I can buy without camping out for? Geez.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I hadn't been following the latest updates but I see that one can now put the full NES library onto the unit.

... too many to select from. I would never be able to choose what to play. ;p

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd love to know more of the how on that one including the sub menus and the back icons and all that if it's hacked up into it or Nintendo had some secret assets from development. It's too much though, a top 100 would be more than enough.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
The jap. version of Batman also gave me an error. Got 47 games on mine right now.

Many of the later Konami games used proprietary mappers in Japan but not US. TMNT2/3, Contra, Batman, etc.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I hadn't been following the latest updates but I see that one can now put the full NES library onto the unit.

... too many to select from. I would never be able to choose what to play. ;p

There's an even easier way to add the full library:

NES-360x300.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It's too much though, a top 100 would be more than enough.

I'm so spoiled by the Everdrive all-you-can-eat buffet to ever not have the entire library available all the time. It really comes down to how you have it organized so it doesn't feel overwhelming IMHO.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No point putting 700 games on it if 650 of them are shit.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have still not been able to walk into a store and buy one of these yet.

Fucking Nintendo

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have still not been able to walk into a store and buy one of these yet.

Fucking Nintendo

It's crazy how long it's taking for Nintendo to catch up with demand. I feel like they didn't expect these to sell and just shoved them out the door to keep the 'geeks and otakus' happy.

On a side note the local game store chain didn't have the NES Mini in stock, but did have the Famicom Mini.