Nintendo DS Revisited

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
All the great games have already mentioned, but here's another sleeper/obscure game:

boxartDS.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Clone. It dates back to the Commodore 64 days. I admit it is a pretty easy game, but fun.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All the great games have already mentioned, but here's another sleeper/obscure game:

boxartDS.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Clone. It dates back to the Commodore 64 days. I admit it is a pretty easy game, but fun.
Holy fuck!!!!!!! I never knew about that release. Fucking hell, I must play it!!!! Jesus, I need to chil...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Holy fuck!!!!!!! I never knew about that release. Fucking hell, I must play it!!!! Jesus, I need to chil...

I don't remember where I got it or how I found out about it but it was like a year or two ago.

Destineer is based in MN. I applied there to be a tester but never heard from them.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

It never came out in the U.S. but was an EU release only from what I recall. Thankfully the DSi isn't region locked.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It never came out in the U.S. but was an EU release only from what I recall. Thankfully the DSi isn't region locked.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure mine's the American version. I don't have the box on me but I'll get it and take pictures.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it did have a us release, but it was pretty hard to find. I never found one.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it did have a us release, but it was pretty hard to find. I never found one.

I ordered mine thru Amazon but I was told it was an EU only release. I could be wrong idk.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh, that's too bad, forget it then.

The HD one for XBL is allright but the second one which is available on Steam only? it's so damn good.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Putting some awareness of some other gems. I particularly enjoyed Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the sheer novelty of the knife events as well as Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I sincerely wished that they incorporated the GBA games into it (somehow getting data from them via DS or DSlite a la Pokemon) that would have been awesome.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Deadly Silence is awesome, well worth the run through revisiting old memories and it looks clean as hell.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Got my DSI XL today. Haven't really had a chance to mess with it, but it looks like it was owned by a teenage girl instead of a little kid, and is in pretty good shape. A few tiny nicks here and there, but considering it's used and cheap that's perfectly fine.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Got my DSI XL today. Haven't really had a chance to mess with it, but it looks like it was owned by a teenage girl instead of a little kid, and is in pretty good shape. A few tiny nicks here and there, but considering it's used and cheap that's perfectly fine.

So....... You got a pink one? XD

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

DSi XL is where is at. DL the G.G games, they are cheap and awesome! Battle Ogre and Dark Spirits being the best. That's if you play anything else other than shit games---er...I mean great story telling RPGs...yeah that's it.

Fucken Shantae looks phenomenal on the DSi and well worth the 1200 points IMO. Dr. Mario, oh man so many games but the store sucks, just gotta know what you're looking for. Go online, they have a breakdown on all the games with videos and everything, or use the 3DS store and you can browse through there and then get them on your DSi.

I'll make a list of what I got later.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I want to say that Giana Sisters was from somewhere weird like Target.com but my memory is sketchy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
According to Wikipedia, it was exclusive to Target.com and Walmart.com, and I recall it showing up in those random clearance bins that some stores had.

I just popped in some New SMB. It's a bit of a mixed reaction coming off of the 3DSXL. The lower resolution is a bit jarring, but the colors are so much better. More importantly, it's 50x more comfortable to actually play. The buttons are the same basic shape, but the position of the D pad gives me cramps. The d pad on this unit is still nice and clicky as well. BK was totally right about the speakers, I've never really minded the speakers on the 3DS, but the ones on the DSi blow them away, and if I were used to them I'd probably hate the 3DS too. It's not hugely important to me though, I usually use headphones.

EG: Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out. I'm still trying to decide if I want to repurchase Shantae, I got it on the 3DS already but I'd much rather play it on the DSi. I've got a flash cart coming in but DSi titles don't work on it apparently, just regular DS games. Right now I'm going through the list of ever recommended game in this thread and nabbing it if I don't have it already.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Shantae is so much cleaner on the DSi, you're going to cream your pants when you play it.

I wish the VC games were available on the DSi store, I bet they'd look much sharper. Some of the new reworked games for the 3DS store look really clean though. The Sega 3D games looks great.

Last edited:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk and I even imported Last Window from Europe to play the second game.
Last_Window.jpg

Another game i enjoyed was called Magical Starsign, It was a surprisingly fun RPG game.

250px-Magical_Starsign.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Taito Spinner + Space Invaders Extreme = Sechs fall out.

I missed this post before, but it's 100% truth. SIE is a completely different game with the spinner, and it's fucking awesome. I hate that I can't use the thing with the XL's, it's the reason I will never get rid of my DS Lite.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
According to Wikipedia, it was exclusive to Target.com and Walmart.com, and I recall it showing up in those random clearance bins that some stores had.

Interesting. I must have gotten it from Target then.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I got the DS Lite right around when NSMB came out. Over time picked up Ace Attorney, Megaman Starforce, Megaman ZX and Resident Evil and while I loved all of these games, I ended up selling it soon after that and going all in on the PSP (though I kept the games thankfully)

Now I have a 3DS and am playing catch up and holy shit is the DS a fantastic. I went buck wild earlier this year and caught up on a bunch of games I missed.

Aliens Infestation
Ace Attorney 2: Pheonix Wright: Justice For All (Finished)
Ace Attorney 3: Pheonix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (Currently Playing)
Ace Attorney 4: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
Bangai-O Spirits
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Megaman Zero Collection
Megaman ZX Advent
Okamiden
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
Zero Escape: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
can't really say anything about the machine that hasn't been said alrdy. When it was first announced, I was skeptical as all hell. 2 screens? wtf for? and then the stupid subtitling of every game having D and S in it,

Guilty Gear Dust Strikers
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (aria of sorrow was a much cooler name)

I hated it. My wife wanted to play meteos so I scooped her one, then when Castlevania D of S came out, I never gave it back. We both upgraded to lites and both play ours regularly. I like a diverse mix of games for the system, but the Phoenix Wright games grabbed me and never let go, I loved them and I always will.

this is one of my all time favorite games for any system:

Electroplankton.jpg

I have no idea how many hours I've fucked around with this, and it never, never gets old. Mogwai even used it in one of their songs!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I got the DS Lite right around when NSMB came out. Over time picked up Ace Attorney, Megaman Starforce, Megaman ZX and Resident Evil and while I loved all of these games, I ended up selling it soon after that and going all in on the PSP (though I kept the games thankfully)

Now I have a 3DS and am playing catch up and holy shit is the DS a fantastic. I went buck wild earlier this year and caught up on a bunch of games I missed.

Aliens Infestation
Ace Attorney 2: Pheonix Wright: Justice For All (Finished)
Ace Attorney 3: Pheonix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (Currently Playing)
Ace Attorney 4: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
Bangai-O Spirits
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Megaman Zero Collection
Megaman ZX Advent
Okamiden
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
Zero Escape: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

I cannot recommend 999 enough. Got it as a gift from my brother for Christmas (partly due to him wanting to see the story) and it just grabbed me. The style, the storytelling, the gruesome pick-your-own-death style and the puzzles all just absorbed all of my attention. Its one of the first games I recommend when people say Nintendo machines are all Mario and Zelda.