Nintendo NX for March 2017. Zelda delayed. No NX at e3. WTF

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have very low expectations for the NX.

The Wii and WiiU are/were both terrible consoles. The NX is going to be vastly outpaced when Sony and MS bring out new consoles in a couple years (this is going to be a very short generation). Other than the 3DS, Nintendo is near-irrelevant and refuses to modernize.

Nintendo is a shitty company that's (hopefully) going to finally have to get out of consoles after the NX.

:lolz:

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm cool with them delaying Zelda to next year to have more time to polish it and make it better. Early next year is a good time to bring out the NX as well so that the PS VR doesn't steal the spotlight and so that Nintendo and third-parties have more time to develop a solid launch lineup. It reminds me of the Sega days when they wound down the Saturn early and brought out the Dreamcast a year later with a killer game lineup.

This financial year is going to really hurt for Nintendo however. The Wii U is all out of interesting upcoming games except for Zelda it seems, and the 3DS pickings are slim for the rest of the year as well. I'd expect Nintendo to keep the Wii U limping along for the rest of the year on simpler, cheaper games that are easier to develop like Captain Toad and NES Remix. There's none of that happening with Zelda being their only E3 game. If I was a stockholder I would not be happy right now.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's incredible that such a good machine as the Wii U is going to be the one of the corner spikes to Big N's coffin. NX won't be an answer to that anyway...

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I forget where I was reading it - but supposedly one of the big goals of the NX is to have a steady/consistent release of 1st party games.

When you look back at the 3DS and the Wii U - they were never on fire at the same time. When the 3DS was rocking it, the Wii U had nothing. And when the Wii U finally started getting good games, there were slim pickings on the 3DS. Now both systems seem to have nothing in the pipeline.

Anyway, this is interesting because it kind of supports the idea that the NX will be a combo home console and portable system. I mean, if the 3DS and Wii U were some kind of integrated system….then they would have had an a pretty amazing library (both great and large) between the both of them.

Maybe that is what the NX is aiming for - and I'm cool w/ that.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I forget where I was reading it - but supposedly one of the big goals of the NX is to have a steady/consistent release of 1st party games.

When you look back at the 3DS and the Wii U - they were never on fire at the same time. When the 3DS was rocking it, the Wii U had nothing. And when the Wii U finally started getting good games, there were slim pickings on the 3DS. Now both systems seem to have nothing in the pipeline.

Anyway, this is interesting because it kind of supports the idea that the NX will be a combo home console and portable system. I mean, if the 3DS and Wii U were some kind of integrated system….then they would have had an a pretty amazing library (both great and large) between the both of them.

Maybe that is what the NX is aiming for - and I'm cool w/ that.

I remember reading that EA is fully on board this time because the system runs frostbite flawlessly.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
ChHJfEwUgAAjAcS.jpg

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'll buy an NX if they deliver a 2-D Metroid.......That probably won't happen but I can dream.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I'll buy an NX if they deliver a 2-D Metroid.......That probably won't happen but I can dream.

I'd buy one of those coleco retro consoles with the snes mini jammed inside to play another 2d metroid. Truth

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Just picked up twilight princess for 49.99, web price on best buys site (had to ask them to price match with their online price) also picked up dkc freeze. If we like that I'll pick up the one they have for the wii dkc.

I really do love the system, I would complain about the account of games, but the thing is, I think the amount of wii games that I have outnumbers all the other games I have on any one system.

I'm looking forward to the next Zelda. I was pretty set on seeing it this Christmas, but oh well. Not really sure what to look forward to getting until then.

xorthen

Banned
Gee, Setsuma, do you really expect anything from Nintendo these days? They aren't even trying anymore.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I really wish they'd drop some more titles on the VC.

But I'm having a ball with the WiiU

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Gee, Setsuma, do you really expect anything from Nintendo these days? They aren't even trying anymore.

Actually wiiU is my favourite console of this generation due to the quality of it's games. Yes, it's a limited library but the quality is undeniable. I was hoping for this incredible e3 with a chain combo of games after showing their new hardware... you know, the stuff you look foward at e3. The desire for a new GREAT Mario (IE: in the vein of galaxy and not 3d World, even though 3d world isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination), a new Metroid, F-Zero, of course the new zelda, even Bayonetta 3 now that Platinum seems to have a good relationship with Nintendo... is palpable.

They had the chance for one of those e3 that hype people (remember twilight princess reveal, or more recently the FFVII + Shenmue 3 combo)... Hell, their e3 2014 nintendo direct was great. But it seems that won't be the case, even though all the right factors are aligned...

xorthen

Banned
Actually wiiU is my favourite console of this generation due to the quality of it's games. Yes, it's a limited library but the quality is undeniable. I was hoping for this incredible e3 with a chain combo of games after showing their new hardware... you know, the stuff you look foward at e3. The desire for a new GREAT Mario (IE: in the vein of galaxy and not 3d World, even though 3d world isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination), a new Metroid, F-Zero, of course the new zelda, even Bayonetta 3 now that Platinum seems to have a good relationship with Nintendo... is palpable.

They had the chance for one of those e3 that hype people (remember twilight princess reveal, or more recently the FFVII + Shenmue 3 combo)... Hell, their e3 2014 nintendo direct was great. But it seems that won't be the case, even though all the right factors are aligned...

Bayonetta 2 was pretty fun. I just didn't like the presentation of the Wii U. It felt like Nintendo was just kind of like, fuck it, let's just release this under powered console and see what happens.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Bayonetta 2 was pretty fun. I just didn't like the presentation of the Wii U. It felt like Nintendo was just kind of like, fuck it, let's just release this under powered console and see what happens.

The WiiU's Achilles heel was data bandwidth. Not sure why Nintendo did not get the memo that HD games use rather large textures. This is why PS4 and Xbone games install onto the HD, the disc drives are not fast enough. Even with installation, the memory bandwith is slow for a WiiU.

But its not a stupid decision to limit bandwidth if the expectation was that games would already be limited by the blu ray drive or the usb hard drive.

Their problem was they made a stupid expectation, hence it made porting difficult because studios had to figure out how to get the texture data in fast enough.

Assasins Creed 4 on the WiiU is a perfect example of the compromises forced to get that game to even function.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'm not disappointed because I stopped caring about Nintendo on the larger scale. They just refuse to be part of the real world of gaming these days. A company that takes realistic risks benefits greatly, but they are playing themselves safe into and early grave. As far as I'm concerned, it's a mess. This company literally has nothing to look forward to for me anymore other then Zelda, and I'm tired of remake dingle-berries.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm not disappointed because I stopped caring about Nintendo on the larger scale. They just refuse to be part of the real world of gaming these days. A company that takes realistic risks benefits greatly, but they are playing themselves safe into and early grave. As far as I'm concerned, it's a mess. This company literally has nothing to look forward to for me anymore other then Zelda, and I'm tired of remake dingle-berries.

They have been like this for, literally, the past 20 years. Nothing yet has stopped them. They know their audience and pander to them very well. No early grave here.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Some reports to Eurogamer are saying Nintendo NX is a portable, handheld console that has detachable controllers, runs cartridges and hooks up to your tv via docking station -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

By Tom Phillips Published 26/07/2016

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

For more on the console's power, Digital Foundry has a deep-dive look at the chip Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

It's not the first time cartridge-based media has been mooted for NX. Back in May, eagle-eyed fans spotted The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's trademark included cartridge-based games. This was a change from Nintendo's usual wording for home console trademarks, which only refer to digital downloads and discs.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

Nintendo always designs its hardware to show off specific game concepts - and it remains to be seen how the system will showcase the next Mario, or even how the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - the only first-party game confirmed so-far - may differ when played on the device.

Previously, however, we've heard reports of various Wii U games reappearing as updated NX ports - Splatoon and Smash Bros. have both been mooted. And then there's Pikmin 4, which Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed to Eurogamer just over a year ago.

"Nintendo has not made any new official announcements regarding NX which is due to launch in March 2017," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer when contacted about this story. "As such [we're] unable to comment on the various rumours and speculations circulating."

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
With the whole tegra part this thing sounds weak as fuck.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
What a hot mess. The newest Tegra mobile is on point with xbox 360/ps3/wiiu. This thing is a heap thats 'probably running a skinned version of Android.

So now they're stepping out of the console market to compete with cell phones? See ya Mario.

*EDIT*. Makes you wonder if they'll release an updated screen every now and then since the device seems to just be a modular screen/brain. Kinda like what Samsung did with their TVs. That's probably the only.eay they could keep up with the pace of mobile gaming.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
If this is true, Nintendo is absolutely fucked in the hardware department and will definitely be going down the SEGA path in 5 years or less.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah this doesn't exactly cater to my expectations. Are people nowadays even playing handhelds on the go which aren't smartphones?

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Nintendo has the handheld market. Might as well continue doing that.....but at least with the option to connect it to your TV. I'll need to see more before I judge this one. I don't like handheld gaming (other than the Vita), so I hope the NX isn't too gimmicky.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Nintendo has the handheld market. Might as well continue doing that.....but at least with the option to connect it to your TV. I'll need to see more before I judge this one. I don't like handheld gaming (other than the Vita), so I hope the NX isn't too gimmicky.

Hmm, this makes me think that - again, if this is true - this could be taken as Nintendo exiting the home console market in a somewhat subtle way.