Nintendo World Championships 2015

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm all for nostalgia...and most here know I'm a die hard old-Nintendo fanboy...

But something about this doesn't sit well with me...it seems forced and fake for some reason.

First off, unless I'm wrong, this is E3 only...which means very limited audience. If they took it on the road, to 30 cities, like the 1991 NWC...it would be much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'm all for nostalgia...and most here know I'm a die hard old-Nintendo fanboy...

But something about this doesn't sit well with me...it seems forced and fake for some reason.

First off, unless I'm wrong, this is E3 only...which means very limited audience. If they took it on the road, to 30 cities, like the 1991 NWC...it would be much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships

Cheap Publicity, that's all it feels like as they will be at E3 anyway.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Cheap Publicity, that's all it feels like as they will be at E3 anyway.

They're reaching...they really are.

They printed $$ with the GameBoy, the printed $$ with Pokemon, they printed $$ with the Wii. It seems that well has dried up. The Wii U just isn't as hot nor is the 3Dxyz2000OMGBBQ-DS whatever model they're currently pushing.

So they're doing what any good former king of the world would do...a shitty reunion tour. Except this is a limp, one time show.

If they had a brain, they'd release a cheap, simple NES looking ROM box that will play every game from the NES to the N64. Make deals with game publishers and make the entire libraries of the NES, SNES and N64 available for cheap.

Yeah...I know they've kind of done this before...but not in the way I'm suggesting. I'm talking damn near complete libraries here. If Apple and iTunes can make deals with every fucking company under the sun for digital downloads, so can Nintendo.

That's how you tap into nostalgia...

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Somewhere I read they're letting people enter at Best Buy. I guess it'll be like when they did the Blockbuster Video Championships. Hopefully Thor Akerlund will come back and destroy everybody like he did 25 years ago.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
it could be that this is just the first series of many more events like this to come

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
it feels like the nes remix games were made for this.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lol. I think it's perfect. and by that I'm not saying it's perfect good. but 'retro' gaming is aesthetically in, hipster cutting edge, so it makes sense to do something like this - an event that's 'retro' but at the same time modern. this is not gaming as much as it is parading. it's the nintendo brand, on par with I dunno, Adidas, Coke and erm... graffiti
the ad is funny - but it is very much made for younger youtube audiences savvy about all things tasteful and pretentious, whilst at the same time going down on nintendo fanboys (and Reggie looks like a fat Donkey Kong so it's good that he work out a little)
that was a shit post on my behalf. I'd like to thank the academy. bye

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
It's just cheap pandering to their dumb as rocks blind fanboys.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea, seems like publicity whoring and like you've said, it's only at E3, so it's limited audience. I remember going to the 1990 Nintendo WC and don't remember much about it.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It should be fun. That should be the only take away from this.

And of course it's marketing - experiential marketing for those who sign up, advertisment in the form of entertainment for everyone else - It's just one of those things companies have to do. I'm sure it will be magical for kids today just as these kinds of things were for many from our generation back in the day.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Well, at least it will be fun to see (hopefully). Never seen the NES version they did years ago thou... will have to read others about if it was same, worse or better.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It will just be scrubs fighting scrubs in scrub games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I was going to go to this but I suck at games, and I already got all the swag I wanted from the Nintendo table at 2D.

Would be nice to get some streetpasses and ad-hoc games of Mario Party or SSB going though.