NIOH

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not a fan of Dark Souls or, anything From Software has put out.

But, I just thought I'd mention that I find it interesting this game is hard to find where most people live. "Hard to find" games tend to sit on store shelves collecting dust where I live. There are two copies at Walmart two exits up from where I live right now, for instance.

One example, during the Dreamcast, of a hard to find game around here was Sega Bass Fishing and that fishing controller. They were impossible to find in my area...game stores would often get 10-20 calls per day asking if they had any.

Jon

I saw those Nioh copies at xenia walmart too, but decided to just pick it up at gamestop cause my brother had to go there for a headset. Gamestop sold out. Hopefully when I get to columbus i am able to snag one.

Whats really pissing me off are the "limited run" copies of the 2 shantae games they released. Those are going for $100 a pop for a game that sold for $25.00 a few months back.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
This game has gotten tons of hype. I guess it is also hard to find a physical copy (I was holding the last one in my local GS yesterday). Backlog is too big, so I'm passing on it. I'm still wrapping up RE7, and have to play Dishonored 2 among many others.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So I finally located a copy after checking 4 game stores.

So far it feels like the Alpha I tested awhile back, but more polished.

I have to say so far I am really liking the combat. Much more technical than dark souls, and a lot of moves and combos.

I made it though the first stage pretty easy. Thought the game got easier since the beta test. Found a lot of decent armor and weapons, then realized that the first stage is just a warm up. Then I started on the real first stage, the one from the alpha, with no equipment. Been getting my ass kicked. Made it to the part pretty easily where you drop down and have to fight the 5 guys before the Yokai guy, and have been unable to beat that demon fucker. I'm guessing he holds the key I need to get into the city.

I decided to break for the night and post here, and sleep on how I want to build my character. Thus far I am only level 11, and have been dumping it all into Skill and Dex. I'm thinking going in blindly with a duel sword wielding ninjitsu build. So far I have 10 skill and 8 dex, and got the poison sword ninjitsu. Not really sure at all how I want to distribute my levels. Skill and dex are a must, but I feel like I really need more Ki, and life. None of the life stats really give me any benefit I want though. One offers life + poison resistance, and the other offers life + axe skills, If I remember correctly. Then there is distributing my levels and adding guardian spirit which I think is going to be important.

I don't want to watch videos and read about online builds, so this first playthrough will probably be pretty brutal.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Started to play nioh finally.Though i'm having trouble getting the ki pulse down any body have suggestion ?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Started to play nioh finally.Though i'm having trouble getting the ki pulse down any body have suggestion ?

I rarely remember to use it. Ive just beat the 3rd boss (or 4th? The vampire bird lady). You can get along fine without it. Granted it's better if you DO use it, but I mean - I get by lol

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I rarely remember to use it. Ive just beat the 3rd boss (or 4th? The vampire bird lady). You can get along fine without it. Granted it's better if you DO use it, but I mean - I get by lol
Okay then most of the time i see it be it useful is against the yokai.Since the field they admit drains you're ki rather quickly.Playing,nioh is a rude awaking for me for how it differs from the souls series.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
So I finally located a copy after checking 4 game stores.

So far it feels like the Alpha I tested awhile back, but more polished.

I have to say so far I am really liking the combat. Much more technical than dark souls, and a lot of moves and combos.

I made it though the first stage pretty easy. Thought the game got easier since the beta test. Found a lot of decent armor and weapons, then realized that the first stage is just a warm up. Then I started on the real first stage, the one from the alpha, with no equipment. Been getting my ass kicked. Made it to the part pretty easily where you drop down and have to fight the 5 guys before the Yokai guy, and have been unable to beat that demon fucker. I'm guessing he holds the key I need to get into the city.

I decided to break for the night and post here, and sleep on how I want to build my character. Thus far I am only level 11, and have been dumping it all into Skill and Dex. I'm thinking going in blindly with a duel sword wielding ninjitsu build. So far I have 10 skill and 8 dex, and got the poison sword ninjitsu. Not really sure at all how I want to distribute my levels. Skill and dex are a must, but I feel like I really need more Ki, and life. None of the life stats really give me any benefit I want though. One offers life + poison resistance, and the other offers life + axe skills, If I remember correctly. Then there is distributing my levels and adding guardian spirit which I think is going to be important.

I don't want to watch videos and read about online builds, so this first playthrough will probably be pretty brutal.

You'll find out later on that as you progress you can't really leave a lot of the stats lagging behind others. The game forces you in a way to distribute everything pretty much evenly. Otherwise there will be a ton of gear/magic/etc you will not be able to use. Of course you can boost some stats compared to others just don't leave any stat really lagging behind as you would do in Dark Souls.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

ki pulse is really important when you start fighting human bosses.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
With the ki pulse wait for 1 second after a combo then press it ,seems to work for me every time.

It's important in tight areas when yoki have put the black circles everywhere. You'll start to struggle eventually without it i think.

I've just beaten the tiger familiar boss that's shoots lightning bolts. So far I'm loving the game.

Has anyone tried some jolly co-op , what's it like ?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
All you have to do to use a Ki pulse, is press "R1" after your Ki gauge has been depleted any amount, and is almost filled up again.

So basically you do a combo, and your gauge is depleted an amount depending on the combo.

Then the ki gauge begins to fill back up, you will see the gauge filling up, and you press R1 right as it hits the max it can fill up.

So basically you may do a large combo, then that gauge will be filling, it may not fill up all the way, you just look at the bar to "determine" how far it is going to fill before it stops. This is easily noticable because there is a bar, within the ki bar.

Summary, just press R1 the exact second your bar hits max after a combo.

If shit is heavy, just pulse early and save what ki you can to block/run/whatever.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Finally beat REVII last night, so I was able to start playing today...man, chain and sickle in low stance is hot death for these fools! I'm really glad that I read the thread before starting as I think I wouldn't have given Ki Pulse much thought despite the tutorial, and it has been invaluable so far.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Should be picking this up sometime later this week. Just played through the DLC for the first time on Dark Souls 3 and I am finally at the end of RE 7. Something tells me that I will be doing a lot of co-op. Those demos taught me the hard way when not using co-op against bosses.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Been playing this all afternoon and finding it a lot more fun than the Souls games. In terms of pace and progression, it's spot on. Grinding at the moment but not feeling overwhelmed yet, love that fluid Ninja Gaiden feel.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Been playing this all afternoon and finding it a lot more fun than the Souls games. In terms of pace and progression, it's spot on. Grinding at the moment but not feeling overwhelmed yet, love that fluid Ninja Gaiden feel.

Have you played Bloodborne? I think it feels closer to it than a Souls game. Granted Ive only played a Souls game for like 10 minutes. Nioh is faster (and more graphically pleasing) than Bloodborne, but it feels more like it than Souls.

Im still liking it quite a bit. Some of the non-boss 'big guys' are cheap as fuck, but it's still pretty fun.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Forward roll shenanigans:

Not only does every enemy and boss in this game have a telegraphed attack that can be exploited, the forward roll animation is invincible and has a pretty big window of invulnerability.

In other words, when you see the boss winding up for that big hit or last swipe in a combo that leaves them stuck in a recovery animation, roll forward into the last few frames of the enemies attack and when the attack harmlessly passes through you (the forward roll can also place you behind an enemy for big damage as well), you are free to counterattack. Just be sure to leave enough ki in your gauge to escape the enemy's counterattack.

Many enemies can be defeated by constantly rolling forward at the right moment with no retreat necessary (hit, roll forward to dodge counter attack, hit, roll forward, etc).

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Getting this tonight if they aren't sold out I hope. I have 7 stores within 15 minutes away in my town to check, so should be fine.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Put in a good 2 hours so far. I am really loving this. Holy shit the game has cut-scenes and story dialogue with real characters. Thanks Team Ninja! The action mode locked in 720p is the best way to go, but I was hoping they could lock 30fps in 1080p with no lag at all. I personally don't mind 30 fps since Bloodborne and Souls 3 run like that anyway. Still, the combat is more fast paced and in depth than those games making 60fps necessary. We will see what future patches are in store I guess. I envy PS4 Pro owners for the first time with this game, thanks to 60 fps in 1080p action mode lol.

Started out with a dual dword and axe build. I really want to play around with the Kusarigama next though. I figured I go for a more practical balance with fast and strong starting out. Using the strength guardian and will most likely keep my agility/armor in B range.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
This game was off my radar until the rising hype caught my notice. I'd be out trying to get it, but I want to play Breath of the Wild next week when it comes out and wouldkn't want to interrupt NIOH to do so.

There's actually shortages on the discs?

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
This game is DIFFICULT but it's so rewarding when you beat a boss!

xorthen

Banned
Did any of you guys make it to the big ass centipede boss? Pretty annoying but not as hard as Nue.