NITD final stage boss conjures up slow down

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I never really noticed that the final stage boss conjures up a great deal of monsters on the playfield causing slowdown to the pace of the game.I find that this slowdown increases the difficulty....then you have the lightning bolts reigning down...how do you evade the lightning bolts if you don't get any hint that they're coming?
BB

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I never really noticed that the final stage boss conjures up a great deal of monsters on the playfield causing slowdown to the pace of the game.I find that this slowdown increases the difficulty....then you have the lightning bolts reigning down...how do you evade the lightning bolts if you don't get any hint that they're coming?
BB

For the lightning bolts, you do have a warning that they're coming. It's based on the symbols that appear in the background. Basically, pay attention to the colors first.

If the colors on the "clock hands" are pink, green, or yellow (I think orange might be one too), then he's summoning enemies. Pink for zombies, green for turtles, yellow for ghosts. Stay at the bottom center and don't be on one of the platforms where they'll appear. He generally only does this when there are not many enemies on screen (since you need enemies to actually damage him).

When blue symbols start appearing that means he'll either summon the 4 swords attack (easily dodged with a well-timed jump), or the lightning bolts (keep moving). The problem is they're both blue, so it's not so simple to tell by the color. Instead you have to note where on the "clock" the blue symbols are appearing.

12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock = swords

2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 10 o'clock = lightning

I don't think he does the lightning attack until he's taken at least 2 points of damage, so keep that in mind too

Attachments

• 0005.png
    0005.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0004.png
    0004.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 2

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Aww, that's awsome...thanks for the info! Good to see you around BBH!
Hey how do you get that AFRO bonus guy to constantly come out on SHOCK TROOPERS?
I wanted to also add that revision 2 of SHOCK TROOPERS starts at the 007XXX serial #
I thought those little fast guys with the green hats are little evil Leprechauns...
BB

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Aww, that's awsome...thanks for the info! Good to see you around BBH!
Hey how do you get that AFRO bonus guy to constantly come out on SHOCK TROOPERS?

Yeah I'm still around, I don't post that much anymore but I do like to poke my head in here every now and then.

It's always the same designated enemies that have a chance of revealing the afro and dropping life-up items, but I have no idea what the chance of it is... maybe 33% of the time? Maybe less? I don't have any hard data on the figures haha

I wanted to also add that revision 2 of SHOCK TROOPERS starts at the 007XXX serial #

Ah that's good to know, I didn't know more research was done on which cartridges were which. To this day I've still never seen version 1 in a cabinet, and even my Japanese cart with no serial numbers is version 2.

I thought those little fast guys with the green hats are little evil Leprechauns...
BB

Yeah that would make more sense than turtles, disregard my description then :P