No taxation without perspiration

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Already done. All of our W2s/1099s/1098s showed up last week so I knocked it out over the weekend.

Reactions: @M

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
do you guys have electronic filing or? lots of talk about numbered forms here. I do remember having to send a form to the IRS when I was in the US to declare I had nothing to be taxed but no other experience with it.

Here we all file this crap electronically, even in the 90's you'd just download their Win95 application and send over a diskette lol. Bonus points for having a simplified declaration which kinda puts you in a bad spot if you own property, but since I don't I actually don't spend much time with this AND earn a greater return on taxes from all the excess paid during the year. I always file like a week after opening so I can receive $$$ from the feds in the first batch. Would be cool if I didn't know I was paying taxes through the ass on everything regardless.
Yup, I electronically file all the time. Still time consuming, but, easier, as they do a pretty good job of explaining things and suggest deductions that might not occur to you otherwise. I used FreeTaxUSA this year, TurboTax last year, and H&R Block the year before that. I started with TurboTax again this year, but, they wouldn't let me add ANY misc. income without upgrading to a paid package, which is bullshit, so, I quit and went with FreeTaxUSA instead, which turned out to be a better and easier to use site IMO anyway.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Unless your shit is complicated (itemized deductions, big baller lifestyle), everyone should use the IRS' free website. TurboTax/Taxcut/etc. are all scams.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They increased the standard deduction so much... I have a hard time seeing where itemization would be beneficial as an individual. Even people with giant mortgages dont need to itemize.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Getting an error on form 2441 using free fillable forms. It says SSN field for dependents can't be blank...but it isn't.

Most times with these errors I just have to brute force trial and error to get it to where it will accept the return.

Shit software.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I've never had enough things qualify for itemization to beat the standard deduction.

Waiting on one last W2 at this point, the rest is completed.

I'll probably break even (ideal) but I like to just get it out of the way.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was surprised that my State return check arrived in today's mail already! The Federal return will probably take awhile yet though, due to the IRS not processing EITCs until the 15th...