Non Neo Geo games that would have made good Neo Geo titles.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Knights of the Round, maybe?

Or that racing parts of Skate or Die.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What's the point?

Would a game be better if it was on the Neo Geo? All you might get is hot homecart art to lust over.

I guess it's kind of rational to ask why (spiritual) sequels of existing Neo Geo titles wound up on other hardware.

I'm sure none of the reasons are surprising though.

If the games were made to utilize the sprite engine to it's full potential then we could have seen some amazing games from other developers, especially shooters and beat em ups.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
All we would have needed were Toaplan and Irem games on the beast.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Here's good one. What games, that were not released for the Neo Geo, would have made great fit for the Neo Geo? Here are a few titles that would have been a good fit for the system: Joe n Mac, Bonk's Adventure arcade game, and Dunk Dream '95 (though that was 4 players)
Wasn't there a sequel to Dunk Dream that was going to be on the Neo? Or maybe that's another basketball game I'm thinking of.
Not sure if the Neo could have done perfect conversions of games like Final Fight and Street Fighter 2. The Neo had less resolution than the CPS1, but probably had at least as much sprite power (for a Final Fight conversion, with multiple characters on screen).

What's the point?

Would a game be better if it was on the Neo Geo? All you might get is hot homecart art to lust over.

I guess it's kind of rational to ask why (spiritual) sequels of existing Neo Geo titles wound up on other hardware.

I'm sure none of the reasons are surprising though.
The spiritual sequels ended on on later systems, like the Atomiswave, Taito Type X2, PS2, PS3, etc, as they were more powerful (in terms of 3D games) and mainstream systems, and they had better copy protection than the Neo. But there were reasons why the KOF, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown series got their start on the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The spiritual sequels ended on on later systems, like the Atomiswave, Taito Type X2, PS2, PS3, etc, as they were more powerful (in terms of 3D games) and mainstream systems, and they had better copy protection than the Neo. But there were reasons why the KOF, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown series got their start on the Neo Geo.

None of that was spiritual.

Thanks for the history lesson

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Irem's "In The Hunt" (which I'm playing in MAME today) would be perfect for NEO. Made by the same guys that did "Metal Slug" so it makes sense.
This is what I was going to say as well.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I still dont understand why the neo didnt get a bubble bobble. Like a real bubble bobble, not puzzle bobble.

Street Fighter.

seriously though

If Neo had Street Fighter we would have never got Fatal Fury and eventually KOF. And lets be honest, KOF > SF.

VGC1612

New Challenger
Irem's "In The Hunt" (which I'm playing in MAME today) would be perfect for NEO. Made by the same guys that did "Metal Slug" so it makes sense

I saw somewhere that someone was doing a Neo Geo port

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Could the Neo handle something like a gun game similar to Lethal Enforcers or Area 51? Would've also like to see sequels to old SNK games that weren't on the Neo like Psycho Soldiers or another installment of Ikari Warriors.