Odriod GO the $32 8-bit wonder

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Yeah that's my experience right now as well. I usually don't play the Go with the sound on anyway, so I can deal with that for Neutopia. Haven't done much testing but I did notice some missing graphics on Bonk's Revenge.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I might be talking complete gibberish here but the Crush games seem to work much better with slow physics.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I might be talking complete gibberish here but the Crush games seem to work much better with slow physics.

I'm glad it being updated still I'm going to wait for a fixed performance sound fix before trying again.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I just rediscovered Mercenary Force, a game that I only played on another kid's game boy over 25 years ago. I mashed the buttons a lot and kamikaze'd away most of my team. Ever since, I've been wondering what game it was and unsure of how to describe it in order to find out..

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Looks like the next batch of GO-Advance is upgraded:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Installed the Retro-Go release from yesterday. The PCE is getting smoother with better sound. Preliminary Lynx support is now added and the coder is trying to compile a working version of RACE to add Neo Geo Pocket support(!).

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Anybody have the go advance? What operating system or front end are you using?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm playing the OG system again with the current version (1.37) of Ducalex's Retro-Go.

It's been a while since I've checked in, but Retro-Go currently supports four save state slots per game. PCE emulation seems to be further improved. I haven't tested the SNES or Genesis emulation on it.

If you power off the system with a game loaded, it will automatically return you to that game and load the highest-numbered save state. Really nice if you want to focus on one game at a time. Doing that, I finally played through Rygar and I'm currently playing through Link's Awakening DX. As a kid, I played the DMG version of the game to death (one of the early revisions that allowed the map warp. I probably spent as much time warping into cave walls and seeing how they were connected as I did playing the main adventure). I didn't realize until now that the DX version had extra content.

Edit: Battery life is still insane. I'm pretty sure I'll get through all of Link's Awakening on a single charge.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My memory card (in the system) went bad and I couldn't write to it anymore.
First time that ever happened. It was a Samsung 16gb cant remember if it was from Amazon or Walmart
I updated to 1.361 that was before New Years.
Guess there's been some updates since.

PC-Engine sound is still kinda messed up, I play with it with low volume otherwise is totally playable (good framerate).
Thinking about trying Cd games.

Not sure I'm going to try Genesis or SNES

Still same problems for me as on older versions and don't understand why he hasn't brought in other systems like MSX, C64 and 7800 they do a pretty good job standalone.

Anybody got the specially made game&watch roms for this?
Sounds like to much to get them running, play them elsewhere if I feel the need.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Not sure I'm going to try Genesis or SNES
Still same problems for me as on older versions and don't understand why he hasn't brought in other systems like MSX, C64 and 7800 they do a pretty good job standalone.
He has a multi-firmware that I haven't tried which might make it easier access those other standalone systems. I agree that the SNES and MD emulators (and Doom) feel like they're taking up space that could be better used. I screwed up my Arduboy trying to install the fx expansion, so I'm using millim's collection of ports to the ODROID-Go instead.

But I've been surprised by the quality of the PCE emulation, so let me test it real quick.

I just copied Sonic and Super Mario World over just to test. Genesis has frameskip set to 3 and SNES set to 4 by default, but you'd have to be pretty desperate to consider those playable speeds. The button layout was less of an issue for SMW than I expected. There are different control schemes you can pick between when you hit the options button (speaker). The default layout assigns Y and X to the Odroid's select and start buttons. L, R, Start, and Select are still accessible by using the menu button (bars) as a shift key. Of course, if you just need to pause, the option and menu buttons do that anyway.

It's neat, like getting Doom 1 and 2 to work with a two-button layout is neat, but it's a novelty.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Anybody got the specially made game&watch roms for this?
Sounds like to much to get them running, play them elsewhere if I feel the need.
I'd like to know more about the Game and Watch roms you're talking about. At first I assumed you were talking about the machine recreations that retroarch supports.

When I search, I see that people are running a port of Retro-Go on hacked stm32 (m7)-based Game and Watch handhelds. Have people ported the Game and Watch software the other way?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Game & Watch​

The roms must be packed with LCD-Game-Shrinker and a tutorial can be found here.

I have a rs-90 retromini, it blows but I saw a random youtube video talking about getting custom dingus firmware or whatever running on it.
I went to the main webpage and half of it is down and pops up in the wayback machine. Wonder whats up with that? There's recent posts on it as well.

Reactions: SML

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
If you were ever going to get one of these you would have gotten it by now, but this is still my favorite Game Boy. The emulation is very good with the later retro-go versions (1.31.1 released 4/2/23) and I'll never get over the combination of low power draw and oversized battery. It's always a shock to compare it to the current trend of handhelds with faster and faster chips that will give you 2-5 hours on a charge. It kind of kills me that we never got a successor with just enough additional power to run PC engine full speed on a 60fps screen.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
If you were ever going to get one of these you would have gotten it by now, but this is still my favorite Game Boy. The emulation is very good with the later retro-go versions (1.31.1 released 4/2/23) and I'll never get over the combination of low power draw and oversized battery. It's always a shock to compare it to the current trend of handhelds with faster and faster chips that will give you 2-5 hours on a charge. It kind of kills me that we never got a successor with just enough additional power to run PC engine full speed on a 60fps screen.
Well there's the advance but it''s got a lot more power.
I'll check what firmware I'm using but last time I check TG-16 sound was still messed up, keep it all the way down and it's not so annoying.
Now I noticed in his notes he was saying the sound was implemented wrong on the system itself and he's making the emulators for a corrected/modded version/dac.

Did you ever figure out the Game & Watch?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Did you ever figure out the Game & Watch?

I ought to do it. Haven't yet. I wish Retroarch would just keep the shrunk/fullscreen versions under downloadable content (unless they've started doing so since the last time I checked) since I figure most users are on handhelds at this point.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I ought to do it. Haven't yet. I wish Retroarch would just keep the shrunk/fullscreen versions under downloadable content (unless they've started doing so since the last time I checked) since I figure most users are on handhelds at this point.
I broke down and singed up for the ODRIOD forum the guy who makes this emulator posts on. (retro-go)
I can't believe he's still updating this thing.
But he is

I asked him to fix the color pallet for sg-1000 & others games ...Done
Asked for support for SGM Coleco games...done but still needs sound support.
I also asked for support for key bindings or a virtual keyboard for the coleco....done

I also asked for support for MSX and Atari 7800 games.
He sounded down with MSX
I just checked his nightly repository and preliminary support for it is showing up!

It's now like Xavier Edition!

Did you see this?
It's a Internet Radio / Mp3 Player with bluetooth audio support

Edit:
Here's some preshrunk game & watch roms

Last edited:
Reactions: SML