offical wwe thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm not calling SMW a major promotion. I just threw it in there because I like it.

NJPW is a regional promotion. Sorry.

As I said, ROH's "World" title is approaching "World" status.

-NJPW has run shows in the US, Japan, the UK, Australia, Malaysia, and Singapore recently. They have TV in Japan, USA, Canada, India, and France right now. They have working agreements with the biggest promotion in Mexico/third biggest in the world/oldest in the world (CMLL), the second biggest in the USA (ROH), the biggest in the UK (RevPro), and the biggest in mainland Europe (wXw). They have more reach than anyone besides WWE by a large margin.

-NJPW is bigger than ROH by a factor of at least 3 or 4, and they're easily the second biggest promotion in the world. The top guys in NJPW (Okada, Omega) make as much as anyone in WWE besides the likes of Cena, Lesnar, and a few others.

-Even if the NWA were recognized by every other promotion on the face of the earth, it doesn't change the fact that they can't even put on their own shows. They're not even a real promotion. They're a conspiracy nut, an old belt, and a Youtube channel. That's it. No roster, no venues, no TV show, no sponsors, no subscription service, no PPVs, no DVD sales, nothing. Recently they had to beg fucking Championship Wrestling from Hollywood for airtime.

You have no clue what you're talking about. You used the NWA's visibility on NJPW and ROH programming to argue that it's a world title whilst simultaneously asserting that said promotions are themselves not "world" level.

You like the NWA, fine. But their only outlet that is actually theirs is their Youtube channel, and only 3 videos have even broken 5 figures in terms of views, and one was just because James Ellsworth showed up there right after he left WWE. Take that away and their most viewed video has 129,000 views, which is less than half of the amount of people who watch whatever still passes for Impact in the US alone every week.

Stop pretending like they matter. Anything they get from the big league promotions is out of pity.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not saying that the NWA matters. I'm saying that the "Ten Pounds of Gold" belt has a certain cache.

That is what the NWA is. That is what Billy Bought. He bought the right to a belt.

I understand what Billy is doing.
There is the WWE and everybody else. And for the first time in years, "everybody else" seem comfortable working with each-other (or at least not working against eachtoher). If he can get the NWA title recognized by "everybody else", business will be good for everybody else. People will be able to tell the WWE to fuck themselves because they can find enough work elsewhere.

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'm not saying that the NWA matters. I'm saying that the "Ten Pounds of Gold" belt has a certain cache.

That is what the NWA is. That is what Billy Bought. He bought the right to a belt.

And what they've done with the belt and the web series has made it interesting again.

Billy Corgan has a good mind for the business, I trust his vision and Lagana's writing.

Old people aren't the only ones interested in TPoG.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If people were interested in it, they'd be able to sell tickets to a show. And hire wrestlers. And their Youtube channel, which is their only outlet, would be more popular.

And Billy Corgan has a good mind for the business? Let's review:
-Ran an indie from 2011-2014, talked his way into a reality show which he never delivered, left
-became head of creative at Impact, where his most notable idea was the horrible Impact Grand Championship. Matt Hardy kept the promotion afloat by himself during that time.
-got fleeced by Dixie Carter in negotiations. He funded her company with what little money he has left because he thought she'd never be able to pay him back and he'd get the whole company much cheaper in a default; instead, Carter went the other way and sold it to a billion dollar international media conglomerate.
-Bought a dead brand, promised to start running his own shows and get his own venue, has not delivered.

He got fleeced by a woman who hired Vince Russo three fucking times. And she did it knowing it would cost her the Spike TV deal, which it did, which is why she had to sell it in the first place.

Not to mention he thinks air plane vapor trails are the government dropping poison on the population for some undefined reason.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
. You used the NWA's visibility on NJPW and ROH programming to argue that it's a world title whilst simultaneously asserting that said promotions are themselves not "world" level.

I actually said that I don't consider the NWA title to be a real world title (not since 1991). I said that it is possible for it to become a real world title. I also said that the ROH title is approaching "World" status (in my book).

I still see NJPW as a regional promotion. Sorry.

YThat's it. No roster, no venues, no TV show, no sponsors, no subscription service, no PPVs, no DVD sales, nothing.

In it's heyday, the NWA didn't have any of that. They just had a bunch of titles, an office and a once a year meeting.

Stop pretending like they matter. Anything they get from the big league promotions is out of pity.
If the title didn't have a certain cache, they wouldn't recognize it. Even though it isn't a real world title since 1991, the name "NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP" means something.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I actually said that neither the NWA title is not a real world title. I said that it is possible for it to become a real world title. I also said that the ROH title is approaching "World" status (in my book).

I still see NJPW as a regional promotion. Sorry.

In it's heyday, the NWA didn't have any of that. They just had a bunch of titles, an office and a once a year meeting.

If the title didn't have a certain cache, they wouldn't recognize it. Even though it isn't a real world title since 1991, the name "NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP" means something.
-You said it could become a world title by being recognized by promotions you don't consider to be world level.
-You can "see" 2+2=78 all you want but it's not a difference of opinion. You're just wrong. NJPW is international, by definition of the word. You can see them live or on television in multiple countries.
-The NWA's heyday is three or more decades in the past for a reason, and Billy Corgan specifically said he is turning it into a wrestling promotion. The first thing he did when he bought the company was dissolve his affiliation agreements with all the regional promotions.
-The name doesn't mean anything, which is why the NWA isn't relevant and hasn't been. It's a self-defeating argument.
I hate to break it to you but the median age of a wrestling viewer is like 50.
The median age of nearly every television show is over 50. And that figure is heavily skewed by the same big WWE fanbase watching multiple shows every week. That's who watches TV. But that's not who pays the bills. They're not the ones subscribing to WWE Network/Honor Club/NJPW World; they're not the ones sitting in the front row with $30 Bullet Club shirts; they're not the ones buying pay per views; they're not the ones TV advertisers care about.

Not to mention there is no way to account for the ages of people watching the shows online.

He said he wants to market to a newer generation. A newer generation that uses Youtube, but doesn't use it to watch NWA programming.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Most people consider the Tharpe NWA era to be the worst. So anything that Billy does beyond that is an improvement.

And if the NWA championship didn't mean anything, ROH wouldn't mention it. Cody would be wrestling someone much better (or more famous) than Nick Aldis in the biggest wrestling event of his life.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's important to Cody for his own family reasons. ROH lets Cody do whatever because they need him.

And All In is not the biggest wrestling event of his life. It's big, but it's a one-off indie supercard. The man has been to multiple Wrestlemanias, Wrestle Kingdom, Final Battle/Supercard of Honor, Bound for Glory, etc.

And think about the NWA title. When or if Cody wins it he'll be coming off five consecutive ROH World Title match losses and two consecutive IWGP Heavyweight Title match loses. What does that say about how the bookers in those companies view the title? It's a consolation prize for a man that sees it as a family heirloom.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
All In is a big deal. 10,000 people for an indy show.
And it's a big deal to Cody who has a lot invested in it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
All In is a big deal. 10,000 people for an indy show.
And it's a big deal to Cody who has a lot invested in it.

But that doesn't make it bigger than Wrestlemania or Final Battle or Wrestle Kingdom. That's just absurd.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
But that doesn't make it bigger than Wrestlemania or Final Battle or Wrestle Kingdom. That's just absurd.

Those were the creations and responsibilities of someone else.

All-In is the creation and responsibility of Cody.

If Wrestlemania, Final battle or Wrestle Kingdom went to shit, cody still would get paid. If they did well, it wasn't much of a difference to him.
If All-In takes a shit he loses money and pride. If it does well, the stands to make a lot of money and future opportunity.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Those were the creations and responsibilities of someone else.

All-In is the creation and responsibility of Cody.

The Young Bucks are just as responsible for All In as Cody is. And the reason Cody is able to sell these tickets is because of his Bullet Club run in ROH and NJPW.

It may be the most sentimentally important but it's still a blip on the radar compared to Wrestlemania. C'mon.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Young Bucks are just as responsible for All In as Cody is. And the reason Cody is able to sell these tickets is because of his Bullet Club run in ROH and NJPW.

It may be the most sentimentally important but it's still a blip on the radar compared to Wrestlemania. C'mon.

Yes it's a partnership.

I don't know how you guys think but something I do for my myself and my family is much more important than contract work I do for someone else.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yes it's a partnership.

I don't know how you guys think but something I do for my myself and my family is much more important than contract work I do for someone else.

You're mixing two different concepts whenever it's convenient to the nonsense you're babbling about. Sometimes the NWA name has cache, then sometimes it's important because it's for his family.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Now I understand what Splitt was talking about when he wrote "Captain Autismo".

Yes "All In" is the biggest event of Cody's Career (at least from his perspective).

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Now I understand what Splitt was talking about when he wrote "Captain Autismo".

Yes "All In" is the biggest event of Cody's Career (at least from his perspective).

You're the one using contradictory claims to support your point. I acknowledged it was a big deal for Cody many posts ago, but this whole thing for you has been about the belt itself being relevant on the whole.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
20180704_154343.jpg

Upload a pic from my phone, it flips the pic. Go into my phone, flip the pic, click upload and it decided to upload not flipping my pic.

In amongst the arguing, there was supposed to be the Iconics giving head lips. FAIL

Attachments

• 20180704_154615.jpg
    20180704_154615.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
1.jpg

27% growth over last year.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Bryan Danielson has hired a big time agent and has not yet re-signed with WWE.

WWE is worried he might actually leave and they're moving up all the storylines they had planned for him to before his contract expires on September 1.

This is a win-win for Danielson. Either WWE forks over a shitload of money or he gets to go be the king of the rest of the wrestling world. He could walk into any or all of NJPW, CMLL, ROH, AAA, Impact, Lucha Underground, Dragon Gate, All Japan, RevPro, etc tomorrow and be the top guy.

Cody Rhodes blazed a trail. Except Danielson has already been there and he's way better than Cody. He'll be ten times as huge.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Big weekend coming up in September

9/28: ROH Death Before Dishonor XVI in Vegas, new venue
9/29: ROH TV tapings in Vegas
9/30: NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed in Long Beach

Expect to see much of the same talent all three shows.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hiromu Takahashi may have broken his neck last night on that Phoenix-plex from Dragon Lee. Looked gnarly. Those two have been having insane matches all over the world for three straight years and this time one of them finally took a bad bump. Hopefully Takahashi is okay long term.

Anyway, the rest of the card was really good.

Tama Tonga finally gets sick of all the Bullet Club drama, shows up with his brother and King Haku and just lays out the whole stable (minus Fale, Hiku'leo, and Ishimori who weren't at the show) with chairs. It's looking like

Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Hiku'leo (Leo Tonga), Bad Luck Fale, Taiji Ishimori, and King Haku
vs
Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Adam Page, Marty Scurll, Chase Owens, and Yujiro Takahashi

Not sure where Stephen Amell falls. He's bros with Cody but Adam Page framed him for murder on Being the Elite.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Hiromu Takahashi may have broken his neck last night on that Phoenix-plex from Dragon Lee. Looked gnarly. Those two have been having insane matches all over the world for three straight years and this time one of them finally took a bad bump. Hopefully Takahashi is okay long term.

Anyway, the rest of the card was really good.

Tama Tonga finally gets sick of all the Bullet Club drama, shows up with his brother and King Haku and just lays out the whole stable (minus Fale, Hiku'leo, and Ishimori who weren't at the show) with chairs. It's looking like

Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Hiku'leo (Leo Tonga), Bad Luck Fale, Taiji Ishimori, and King Haku
vs
Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Adam Page, Marty Scurll, Chase Owens, and Yujiro Takahashi

Not sure where Stephen Amell falls. He's bros with Cody but Adam Page framed him for murder on Being the Elite.

That match between Lee and Hiromu looked really stiff the whole way through, those two really know how to work together. It was nice to see Juice finally take a belt, but i have to give it to Jay White...he's gotten pretty damned good at getting organic, volcanic heat. Did you notice the sparks fly on that second barrier crash? There were some pretty great visuals in that match.

famicommander

15 Year Member
How about Jim Ross and Josh Barnett on commentary?

They couldn't be any worse if they tried. Three years into this and JR still can't pronounce anyone's names, nor does he know what any of their moves are called or what is happening in their respective storylines.

Fucking horrible. Josh Mathews is better at this point and that's sad.