offical wwe thread

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
AEW's bizarre insistence no pushing Nyla Rose is bad enough on its own. Also really too bad they're saddling Andrade with Vicki. Just stick with pre-taped promos or let Abrahantes talk for him if they have to stick him with a manager.

Re: Impact- D'Amore seems like a bright enough guy, but him and Dreamer really seem like neither has any regard, whatsoever, for the future. Do what you can to pop a rating at the current show (well, relative for Impact), then worry about everything else tomorrow. They must be paying Moose more than anyone else is willing to and/or have promised him a run with the title sooner than later, really would have been nice to see him go somewhere smarter. Not that that's a long list of places.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
AEW's bizarre insistence no pushing Nyla Rose is bad enough on its own. Also really too bad they're saddling Andrade with Vicki. Just stick with pre-taped promos or let Abrahantes talk for him if they have to stick him with a manager.

Re: Impact- D'Amore seems like a bright enough guy, but him and Dreamer really seem like neither has any regard, whatsoever, for the future. Do what you can to pop a rating at the current show (well, relative for Impact), then worry about everything else tomorrow. They must be paying Moose more than anyone else is willing to and/or have promised him a run with the title sooner than later, really would have been nice to see him go somewhere smarter. Not that that's a long list of places.
The Omega thing didn't even help ratings, it has been actively hurting them.

What it helped was PPV buys. Which is great and all, but as soon as Omega leaves so will all those buyers. And Impact will be left with a smaller fanbase that just sat through a whole year of AEW burying their promotion, roster, title, and network.

We'll see what MLW looks like coming out of their reboot in July. They seem to say the right things but honestly their show wasn't very good lately. Better than AEW, WWE, or Impact but that's a low bar.

NJPW has gone off the rails. Lucha libre is in shambles. AJPW just stripped their champion for COVID, DDT has a 50+ year old man as champion, NOAH just had a botch-filled 58 year old Muta run as champ.

Ring of Honor is truly the only promotion of any size putting on good shows right now, except Dragon Gate. I don't pay for Dragon Gate Network though, so I don't watch too much.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just came up with this crazy idea of how to book a wrestling federation.

1. You put a belt on a good guy that the fans can identify with.
2. You have him go against a series of bad guys that are stronger, bigger or more nefarious than him.
3. Despite the long odds, he finds ways to beat those bad guys.

You think it would work?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Nope. The good guy trying to become champ is where the money is at. The Rock and Roll Express's biggest paydays were when they were challengers. As champions they drew okay but everyone wanted to be there when they won the titles not defended the belts.

The WWWF (Bruno) then WWF did have success doing the opposite because New York sucks. When Vince bought all the territories, Hulk was going into new areas so the company did well for what 4 years. But historically companies made more money with the good guy chasing the heel.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think it depends on who your best guy is.

If your best guy is a heel, then you're a heel territory and your basic setup is the babyface making the chase, only rarely getting to the top of the mountain and only a little bit at a time.

If your best guy is a babyface, then you're a babyface territory and your basic setup is the babyface vanquishing evil most of the time, occasionally stumbling to set up the redemption arc.

The WWE's problem is they don't always recognize who their top guy is. For a period of time they clearly thought it was HHH when it should have been the Rock.

Reactions: Syn

famicommander

15 Year Member
If you want to donate money towards Don West's fight against brain cancer you can do so here:

ROH has officially designated their weekly webshow "Week By Week" as their B-show. It will continue to feature one exclusive match per week as well as highlights, recaps, previews, rankings updates, interviews, and promos.

Dragon Lee will challenge Tony Deppen for the ROH World Television Championship at Best in the World on June 11. Lee never lost his title in the ring as he was unable to travel for ROH Anniversary and the subsequent TV tapings due to a ruptured eardrum.

MLW has announced Davey Richards vs TJP and Mil Muertes vs Richard Holliday for the Caribbean Heavyweight Championship for their June 10 return to the ECW Arena. Also featured will be the Battle Riot match, which is their take on the Royal Rumble. Basically the same rules except you're likely to see weapons and can score eliminations via pinfall or submission.

Impact is advertising "The best of Johnny Swinger" for their Impact in 60 special after this week's normal Impact episode. Figures to be pretty hilarious. Hard to believe but Swinger has accumulated more time in Impact now than he did in ECW, WCW, and WWF combined.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Probably Danhausen's best match in ROH so far. Not much comedy, which makes sense considering he's facing a serious uppercard wrestler.

Survival of the Fittest Final is next week on ROH TV. Bandido vs Flamita vs Rhett Titus vs Chris Dickinson vs Eli Isom vs Brian Johnson in an elimination match. Each won a qualifying match to get there. The winner gets a World Title shot, likely at the BITW PPV next month.

I figure Bandido is the favorite because he's the biggest star but they may have Flamita screw him over to set up a singles match at BITW. Eri Isom is a dark horse. Johnson is a heel so he wouldn't make a good underdog challenger against Rush. Dickinson and Titus are both with factions feuding with Rush's faction, so either one could win it but they might also be facing each other for the tag titles at the PPV.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If anyone is planning to go to Glory By Honor in Philly in August, sign up for Honor Club first.

It's a two night event and if you sign up for Honor Club, you can get the second night for free when you buy tickets for the first night.

Tickets go on sale this Friday for Honor Club members, next Friday for the general public.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Fantasy time!

Someone brought up they thought Arnold Schwarzenegger would have done well as a world champion wrestler if he didn't do bodybuilding. I said he wouldn't do well at all at 6'1" so someone said Bruno and Pedro weren't that tall. I said there are/were a lot of Italians and Hispanics in New York. Austrians not so much. The most he would be is a transition champ like the Iron Sheik and nothing more.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? I know it's assuming a lot of things going Arnold's way.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ric Flair is only 6'1". Probably shorter since that's what he's billed at.

Arnie had charisma, he'd probably have done well if he had the athleticism to move around the ring.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I thought the same about Arnold's height. I heard he was short like Stallone and the net said 6 one. I was surprised.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Austrian wrestler would get over big in the 60's, in the 70's/80's.... not so much.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another round of WWE cuts today:
Fandango
Tony Nese
Ariya Daivari
Chase Parker
Matt Martel

Surprised to see Daivari leave when his older brother JUST went back there to be a producer like a week or two ago.

They also fired some freshly hired Raw writer. She did a guest spot on some podcast and said that she wasn't required to have any wrestling knowledge when she took the job, and couldn't remember if Bobby Ashley or Bobby Lashley was the correct name for their champion.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
When I saw her dumbass statement I knew they'd dump her. If you're that stupid you deserve to be fired. I wonder who hired her and if they got in trouble.

famicommander

15 Year Member
When I saw her dumbass statement I knew they'd dump her. If you're that stupid you deserve to be fired. I wonder who hired her and if they got in trouble.
Of course she's stupid, but they're even stupider.

They literally hired someone that doesn't watch wrestling to write their wrestling show. And they wonder why it fucking sucks.

Anyway, August Grey also released.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Of course she's stupid, but they're even stupider.

They literally hired someone that doesn't watch wrestling to write their wrestling show. And they wonder why it fucking sucks.

Anyway, August Grey also released.

They don't need a lot of help in the ring (despite what you think), they need help outside the ring with storylines. I'm not surprised they would hire someone like her to be honest. Kind of like when they hired Russo, they need someone with a different viewpoint that Vince can approve or say no to their ideas.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Current list:
Ariya Daivari
August Grey
Fandango
Tyler Breeze
Tony Nese
Chase Parker
Matt Martel
Singh Brothers
Curt Stallion
Marina Shafir
Arturo Ruas
Elias (this one not yet confirmed)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Wow, Fandango goes from WM main event, to future endeavored.

this many cuts?

what’s the over/under that Vince is finna sell the company?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Impact TV viewership since the AEW relationship began in late 2020

2020 average: 154,000
January-February 2021: 166,875
March-April 2021: 139,279
May-June 2021: 121,625

This seems fine.

famicommander

15 Year Member
WWE senior VP of talent development Canyon Ceman (apparently his real name) has been fired. He had been with the company since 2012 and was considered HHH's right hand man for the NXT shows.

Sonjay Dutt, who had been working backstage at NXT as a producer, left the company of his own accord two weeks ago. Dutt is only 39 so we may see him back in the ring somewhere. I'd suggest Impact, since they always have to have token Indian talent to please their Indian TV partners. Dutt is actually good, unlike the current occupiers of that role Rohit Raju and Mahabali Shera.

Also, with all the roster cuts this month WWE's 205 Live roster is down to 5 guys. One of the guys that was on the most recent episode's main event got fired before the episode aired.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Mike Bennett will challenge for the Pure title at Best in the World. Gresham will defend the title on television this weekend against Yehi, winner gets Bennett.

Presale tickets are up for Glory by Honor in Philly. If you're planning to go, you should buy tickets before Friday because if you sign up for Honor Club and buy before then, you get both nights for 1 price. After Friday the price goes up.