Official A/V Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I paid $300 for my BVM 20M2MDU from a friend.

483816573a019cad9846946803a6959c.gif

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Thanks man.

So he's come back to me and now given me a price of R6000 ZAR. That works out to well over $400. I'll see if I can talk him down some. If not, I'll pass.

Yeah, prices for BVMs and PVMs are getting crazy. I messaged someone of craigslist about a 20" PVM and he offered to sell it to me for $500 as a project - it has "an odd video error". I've got a bottom end 14" PVM that I'm not thrilled with, but I'm not spending crazy money to upgrade.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks man.

So he's come back to me and now given me a price of R6000 ZAR. That works out to well over $400. I'll see if I can talk him down some. If not, I'll pass.

$400 is honestly not bad for a BVM. I just recently traded for a broken 20m4u that I was able to fix so was grateful to have that for cheap. I also own a 20m2u which I got 3 years ago for like $225. I will probably sell one since I feel super greedy to just keep two 20" PVMs.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Gaiz,

Let's say there are two 55" TVs. One is 1080p and the other is 4K. If you hooked up a standard Blu-ray player to them and played a standard 1080p Blu-ray, the image would look better on the 1080p TV, right? (Because the 4K TV would be scaling up the video, whereas the 1080p TV is displaying the image in its native resolution.) Am I off?

I think the idea with 4K TVs, they are supposed to be exactly 4x the resolution of a 1080p display. Anything scaled up from 1080p to 4K will involve turning one pixel into (the same color on) four pixels (turning a small square into a larger square). So, in theory, the upscaling should be perfect (the 4K TV would not really be scaling up the image, as it wouldn't really be changing it). It would still be 1080p resolution, but displayed with four times the number of pixels.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I think the idea with 4K TVs, they are supposed to be exactly 4x the resolution of a 1080p display. Anything scaled up from 1080p to 4K will involve turning one pixel into (the same color on) four pixels (turning a small square into a larger square). So, in theory, the upscaling should be perfect.

But that would be "nearest neighbor" upscaling which I think would create a lot of jaggies, as opposed to bilinear. So I suppose it depends on what kind of upscaling the TV or BR deck does. Either way, realtime scaling is never going to be as good as offline scaling (which is what they do when the create a 4K movie from a 2K workprint).

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Gaiz,

Let's say there are two 55" TVs. One is 1080p and the other is 4K. If you hooked up a standard Blu-ray player to them and played a standard 1080p Blu-ray, the image would look better on the 1080p TV, right? (Because the 4K TV would be scaling up the video, whereas the 1080p TV is displaying the image in its native resolution.) Am I off?

Don't forget you can just make your TV output 1080p from a 1080p source and not do any upscaling.

fake

15 Year Member
Don't forget you can just make your TV output 1080p from a 1080p source and not do any upscaling.

Do you mean make a 4K TV output 1080p? I was wondering if this was possible.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can't get into the mechanics of 4K sets, because I really do not know a ton about the processing/scaling involved...but both of my LG 4K sets work just fine with 1080p content being ran through them. Now, as to if they're upscaling, changing the overall resolution...who knows, but they do just fine.

BTW...finally got a taste of 4K HDR and wow, it can be amazing if it is done right. 4K didn't impress me a ton but the second I saw some HDR content (was watching the Tick on Amazon)...it is mind blowing at times. The color depth is just amazing.

fake

15 Year Member
I can't get into the mechanics of 4K sets, because I really do not know a ton about the processing/scaling involved...but both of my LG 4K sets work just fine with 1080p content being ran through them. Now, as to if they're upscaling, changing the overall resolution...who knows, but they do just fine.

BTW...finally got a taste of 4K HDR and wow, it can be amazing if it is done right. 4K didn't impress me a ton but the second I saw some HDR content (was watching the Tick on Amazon)...it is mind blowing at times. The color depth is just amazing.

Yeah, I dunno - maybe it's just on paper that native 1080p is better. I'd love to set up a side by side sometime.

One thing that kind of pisses me off about my iMac Pro is that the screen doesn't support HDR. I'd love to mess around with that.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There's a lot of talk about 4K vs 1080p. But IMO color accuracy is more important than the screen resolution, because it is actually colors that make up the picture, and make up what you see on the screen. A screen that is OLED and has HDR 10-bit color will have much better color accuracy than LCD or LED screens, and it will be similar to that of a high quality CRT, such as a PVM. Color accuracy means that the colors are accurate to the source that is going into the TV.
OLED TVs these days are all 4K, anyway.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
With today's prices, 300 for a BVM seems like a steal. People are paying well over that for lesser monitors.

I got a Sony PVM 14 L2 recently for 165. I think that's a decent price. I bought it untested but it's in great working order. I passed on a 20 inch PVM locally listing at 200 for the simple fact that I was looking for a smaller set to put on my desk.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
With today's prices, 300 for a BVM seems like a steal. People are paying well over that for lesser monitors.

I got a Sony PVM 14 L2 recently for 165. I think that's a decent price. I bought it untested but it's in great working order. I passed on a 20 inch PVM locally listing at 200 for the simple fact that I was looking for a smaller set to put on my desk.
You will always find a use for a 20 inch PVM, at some stage. IMO, 20 is much better than 14.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I think composite is the epitome of true retro visuals. RGB is for the spoiled hipster who never grew up with CRTs

You realize that composite signal is turned into RGB so the gun in your CRT can actually shoot colors right?

RGB CRT guns are long before your existence in this world. Fake ass hipster, I was fixing them before you became a Shmup fan in diapers.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I think composite is the epitome of true retro visuals. RGB is for the spoiled hipster who never grew up with CRTs

You also think that S video wasn’t around until the psx/Saturn era.

But you also think there were never any rgb usage in the United States; I’m gonna go with you’re full of shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You also think that S video wasn’t around until the psx/Saturn era.

But you also think there were never any rgb usage in the United States; I’m gonna go with you’re full of shit.

Totally unrelated...but concerning S-Video...I once got an interesting piece of advice from a fella on a home theater forum years ago concerning that.

At the time, I had a Pioneer Laserdisc player that had both composite and s-video out...I had it tied to a very nice Sony Wega non HD set that I bought new in 2004 (one step below their XBR line). He told me the Y/C filter on my set was far better then the one of my player and to try them side by side to see for myself (I had been running s-video)...I'll be dammed if he wasn't right.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah I found the same. I have a higher end Pioneer LD player hooked up to a Sony Trinitron and composite looks way better than S-video.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Laserdisc video is a native composite format and the players almost universally have garbage comb filters in them to split the signal into svideo. The comb filters in the late model Trinitrons were fantastic. There are very few cases where using the svideo out of a laserdisc player is a good idea.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Can confirm I nodded my laseractive for a video and it sucks compared to the sucky composite output.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got a new phone and finally bit the bullet on fancy wireless headphones. Got a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. They feel and sound great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those are some fantastic headphones. I got some for the wife a few months ago and I'm kinda jelly, I want my own pair.