Official A/V Thread

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Gaiz,

I got a good mid-range 4K TV. PQ and color are great, and lighting is pretty even. So, my question is should I spend $200 on an Oppo BluRay player on Craigslist? Or should I spend $200 on a new 4K player? What are the pros and cons? Keep in mind most the movies I love enough to buy are from the 70s and 80s. Not sure if the image being too sharp and detailed would spoil anything or not...

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Oppo for $200? That sounds too cheap now

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Gaiz,

I got a good mid-range 4K TV. PQ and color are great, and lighting is pretty even. So, my question is should I spend $200 on an Oppo BluRay player on Craigslist? Or should I spend $200 on a new 4K player? What are the pros and cons? Keep in mind most the movies I love enough to buy are from the 70s and 80s. Not sure if the image being too sharp and detailed would spoil anything or not...
I think a 4K Blu-ray player would be better (I'm assuming that the Oppo doesn't play 4K Blu-ray discs). It's always better for the image to be more detailed (higher resolution), IMO. Most movies from the 70s and 80s were shot on 35mm film, which has enough detail to make 4K worthwhile.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Update: I got the Panasonic DMP-UB300 on eBay for $150 shipped. The selling point was that it has the same chipset as the top of the line model.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got a subwoofer isolation platform, record puck and some new interconnects.

Kiel

20 Year Member
I got a Jelco SA 750 D tonearm, a new arm board, And a new dustcover for a project SL1200 I’m working on

Decided to put together a lil 90’s system. Picked up a pair of super clean cerwin vega VS-150’s today, need refoaming and one of the crossovers replaced/repaired. Time to start down the amp rabbit hole.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got a pair of Tech 1200s and Ortolan stylus. I'm sick of high end TTs having to remove the platter to change speeds.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Got a pair of Tech 1200s and Ortolan stylus. I'm sick of high end TTs having to remove the platter to change speeds.

I just sold my Clearaudio Concept because my modded SL1200 is so much easier/fun to use.

Picked up one of the new model sonos amps, after dicking with it a few hours my review can be summed up in one word: meh.

I dont think this thing really pumps out the advertised 250w at 4ohm, and I swear my old onkyo integrated receiver with much less power is a much more dynamic and detailed sound on the same speakers. I’ll give it a few weeks but may be sending this back.

fake

15 Year Member
Picked up one of the new model sonos amps, after dicking with it a few hours my review can be summed up in one word: meh.

I dont think this thing really pumps out the advertised 250w at 4ohm, and I swear my old onkyo integrated receiver with much less power is a much more dynamic and detailed sound on the same speakers. I’ll give it a few weeks but may be sending this back.

Does hi-fi differentiate between class a / b / d power ratings? Or is that just a music amp thing? You get dramatically different volumes depending on the class rating.

Its just a class D. It sounded kind of too good to be true, so many features and so flexible, and some people really love their sonos gear, but its not for me, my list of issues with it keeps getting longer. No harm no foul and now I know. I kind of bought it only planning to keep it if I was very impressed, their return policy is what pushed me to try one.

Probably going to replace it with one of the adcom 555’s or a carver m500t or at least thats what Im going to keep my eye open for in the next few months.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

The most powerful home audio amplifier I've ever personally used was something from the 80s that was only rated for 150w. With some big (and inefficient) floor speakers turning it up to 5 out of 10 was enough to (literally) get the cops called on you. I have no idea what it sounded like full blast.

Yeah the more I read about these big CV’s I picked up the consensus is the more power you throw at them the better they sound, especially at low volume. Kind of just getting back into audio as a hobby. I feel like once I have a big mean amp that can push these well, then I can feel free to experiment with other speakers and amps for fun and mess with lots of options for a bookshelf system. Just knew I wanted to start with the big CV’s as I have fond memories of them from the 90’s as a kid, always been my fantasy speakers, though dont know if that still holds true as an adult.

I got really spoiled with my old roomies HPM’s and adcom components. Between that and spending too much time with the tv on lately I’m kind of inspired to get more focused on audio, without going full kernow.

I would love to hear any other suggestions on a 2 channel 250w+ 4 ohm per channel amp for around $500

Last edited:
Grabbed a sunfire symphonic reference load invariant amp today. One of the later models without the meter but with the higher output rating, pumped.

Last edited: