Official A/V Thread

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Oh shit I forgot, I got sent this CDP-55 for $20 plus shipping. Son of a bitch sounds amazing, and bless Sony for never changing the size of their AV equipment. Several decades between the CD player and receiver, and they look good together.
Mao bless!
are those arcade mini amps on top?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
are those arcade mini amps on top?
Very close... those would be cool to make. Those are the revisions of the TI-83 2 channel 1 bit audio amplifier. Each one is one of a kind, L to R is the original design by "Snorkel," then my first revision which added power and 3.5mm jacks, then another revision to add RCA and auto switching of the headphones port. The last one on the right is the final version, it just had trace widths and routes cleaned up, fixed positioning of the holes for the feet, and changed back to purple since I liked it better than the white.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My brother in-law still has a CDP-55, he bought it new. I used to be so jealous of it when I was a kid. It was the first piece of modern stereo equipment that really amazed me, I thought it was so high tech back then.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My brother in-law still has a CDP-55, he bought it new. I used to be so jealous of it when I was a kid. It was the first piece of modern stereo equipment that really amazed me, I thought it was so high tech back then.
I'm not a true audiophile but I could swear it sounds better than Optical from my Pioneer player. I suppose my modern receiver may not have as good of a DAC aimed directly at CD audio as the CDP-55.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Can afford expensive A/V equipment but uses 4n1 pen and some plaster patch is out of budget…

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone have a Rega turntable (P1, P3, P8, P10)?
They seem to have a purely engineering approach to their design. Which, in my opinion, would be the best way of doing it.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Search knurled thumb screw or just M7 thumb screw, looks like some decent results
yeah, but it's got the hole in to put the banana clip(s)...
granted I guess any m7 would work since it's just holding the connector plate?
I guess I could just drill them out? Should I look for a specific material, brass?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd try contact the company
They look pretty specific, as they pass through a banana plug or screw onto a spade

You can use any bolts you want I guess if you use spade connectors on your cable, or bare wire. But ugh

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I had failed to mention that sometime in December, the wireless rear speaker kit I had stopped working. The transmitter end no longer turns on. I will be getting a new one gifted to me for Christmas. In a strange event, the parent had found my tech list and had gotten me two (AV related) items from it. The first was a wireless surround kit... However it seems that big box has stopped generally selling generic kits and only sells surround add-on kits that are specifically for some model of AVR or Soundbar. As a result, I was gifted a wireless surround kit for some LG 2.0 soundbar which is completely useless to me. It was returned and I am told that it will be replaced at some point with a generic kit to replace my failed on. Even if the replacement doesn't last forever, I may yet decide to bother running the speaker cable along walls and ceilings to get to where the rears go, I was just hoping to avoid it.

The other item I received was a Speaker comparator, which I am hoping will work with the wireless kit. The reasoning for this is because I have 2 TVs in my living room with their own AVRs, I can use the speaker comparator to connect the rear speakers to both AVRs.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm not a true audiophile but I could swear it sounds better than Optical from my Pioneer player. I suppose my modern receiver may not have as good of a DAC aimed directly at CD audio as the CDP-55.
Digital audio files have higher resolution than CDs, and you don't have to keep changing discs all the time. Which you also have to do with vinyl records, but they have a warmer (and arguably more musical) sound than CDs and digital files.

This poor thread.

neodogg stop being a savage, track down the part or have it made, order some proper bi-wire cables and throw the connecting plates away.

Joe shut the fuck up.

Kern take some pride in your place watch a 5 min how to vid and patch that plaster.

Ive been after a parasound A21 or A21+ lately, but I cant even discuss it with you people, what am embarrassment.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This poor thread.

neodogg stop being a savage, track down the part or have it made, order some proper bi-wire cables and throw the connecting plates away.

Joe shut the fuck up.

Kern take some pride in your place watch a 5 min how to vid and patch that plaster.

Ive been after a parasound A21 or A21+ lately, but I cant even discuss it with you people, what am embarrassment.

Last edited: