OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Those Borg were separated from the collective for that very reason, thanks to Hugh's influence from his time on the Enterprise. They didn't have any further link with the main collective by the time Lore came around, and AFAIK didn't after.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just watched I, Borg.

I’m still miffed they killed Hugh in Picard. What a waste.
It will bother you less if you consider Picard a sequel only to the TNG movies with their distorted mirror alternate universe versions of the characters, and treat the TNG movies as not being sequels to the tv series.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It will bother you less if you consider Picard a sequel only to the TNG movies with their distorted mirror alternate universe versions of the characters, and treat the TNG movies as not being sequels to the tv series.

I’m okay with that. I’m going to pretend Discovery is fan fiction.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The episode of TOS where Kirk and co go to the Gangster planet is absolutely, positively ridiculous.

Kirk has a felted pimp hat. He drives a car poorly. I loved his impression of a gangster. So bad.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Picard follows on from The Best of Both Worlds (double episode where Picard becomes a Borg) and Star Trek Nemesis, more than anything else TNG.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
oh for fuck's sake
Well, maybe it's not correct to call it a sequel to Best of Both Worlds. But Star Trek Picard makes quite a few references to Picard becoming a Borg, and the events of Nemesis (where Data dies).

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, maybe it's not correct to call it a sequel to Best of Both Worlds. But Star Trek Picard makes quite a few references to Picard becoming a Borg, and the events of Nemesis (where Data dies).
You're completely missing the point.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SNW S1 E4:

So, the Gorn. I expect we’ll see more of them.

Either way I enjoyed the episode, not the first time Trek has done a submarine warfare episode but I won’t complain.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I absolutely loved that episode. It was like a crossover between the TNG episode Disaster and Wrath of Khan. I like that they kept the Gorn mysterious and threatening by not showing them, only their ships. It'll be fun to have a known, classic alien in Star Trek be the main focus for the villain, but not the usual Klingon or Romulan threat.

One thing that is kind of superficial, but IMO important, is that they didn't use "space rocks" to show debris from damage, and they didn't do anything crazy like flamethrowers on Discovery. Debris actually looked like chunks of ship with wires and mesh. Damage looked real.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The amount of damage that occurred after every battle on Discovery was absolutely outrageous.

Only thing that concerns me with the Gorn is that…wasn’t Kirk the first Starfleet officer to encounter one face to face…?

And after that encounter the Federation and Gorn work towards peace and even become allies?

Weren’t the Gorn in The Animated Series? I think they’re in Star Trek Online.

They play a significant role in the Starfleet Universe but that’s not canon.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I rewatched First Contact. Frankly better than I remembered. I don’t like the idea of the Queen, but I’m not as ragey about it anymore. It was…fine though the sexual aspect was creepy.

Currently reading Leonard Nimoy’s “I am Spock.”

Anyone recommend any Trek related books?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I rewatched First Contact. Frankly better than I remembered. I don’t like the idea of the Queen, but I’m not as ragey about it anymore. It was…fine though the sexual aspect was creepy.

Currently reading Leonard Nimoy’s “I am Spock.”

Anyone recommend any Trek related books?
First Contact is usually considered to be one of the better Next Gen Trek movies.
The even numbered movies- II, IV, VI, First Contact (8), are considered by some people to be better than the odd movies. IMO, Nemesis is the third best Next Gen movie after First Contact and Generations.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I honestly don’t even recall if I saw Insurrection. I think I’m going to rewatch Generations next.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I honestly don’t even recall if I saw Insurrection. I think I’m going to rewatch Generations next.

Insurrection felt like a double episode, and not a movie. It was awful. There were no 'good' TNG movies except for First Contact.

Fygee

20 Year Member
First Contact is usually considered to be one of the better Next Gen Trek movies.
The even numbered movies- II, IV, VI, First Contact (8), are better than the odd movies. IMO, Nemesis is the third best Next Gen movie after First Contact and Generations.
III gets lumped into that unfairly. It's definitely a good movie and only suffers from being the first followup to II which set the gold standard. Nemesis also breaks that pattern as it wasn't all that great, though that's mostly due to severe cuts that gutted some really important character/plot scenes.
Insurrection is my least favorite of all the movies, just barely beating V.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Insurrection felt like a double episode, and not a movie. It was awful. There were no 'good' TNG movies except for First Contact.
That statement doesn't make sense, because any two-part episode of TNG (other than arguably Encounter at Farpoint) is vastly superior to any Star Trek movie, including Wrath of Khan.

Fygee

20 Year Member
TNG has some good to great two parters, but saying they're vastly superior to any of the movies is a huge reach.

The bad movies sure, but all of them? No way.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
TNG has some good to great two parters, but saying they're vastly superior to any of the movies is a huge reach.

The bad movies sure, but all of them? No way.
The movies all suck in terms of being Star Trek except the first one (which is like a bad episode stretched out to double the length). Wrath of Khan is the only legitimately good movie in the franchise's history. Undiscovered Country has a great premise and is almost good. Everything else sucks donkey balls and doesn't deserve to share the Star Trek name with the original series, TNG and DS9.

Star Trek 3, 4, 5 and Generations are outright embarassments. Completely indefensible. You can't even make an honest case for them being any better than the JJ Abrams movies. And the TNG movies just aren't any good. Any of them. For reasons discussed to death.

But if you've been enjoying Picard or Discovery or whatever, your bar may be lower.

Fygee

20 Year Member
IMO III is good, IV is a classic, V is hot garbage, VI is great, Generations is meh, First Contact is great, Insurrections is the bottom of the barrel, and Nemesis is undercooked.

You're definitely in the minority when it comes to fan opinion of III, IV, VI, and First Contact.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Christopher Loyd was a terrible Klingon.

I don’t think III is very good. When I rewatched it a few weeks ago I fell asleep during it. I do like the interactions with Kirk and Spock at the end.

IV is just fan service. It’s hilarious but I don’t count it as a Trek film really.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
IMO III is good, IV is a classic, V is hot garbage, VI is great, Generations is meh, First Contact is great, Insurrections is the bottom of the barrel, and Nemesis is undercooked.

You're definitely in the minority when it comes to fan opinion of III, IV, VI, and First Contact.
You're projecting if you think your "3 is good" opinion is shared by the majority. And IV is a fucking joke. Literally. It's the first (but unfortunately not last) ST movie where they are clearly way too old and out of shape, and try to distract the audience from that by playing for laughs. It's practically parody. All you'd have to do is change the names Kirk and Spock to Krak and Spunk, and you could run the Voyage Home script in Mad Magazine, largely unaltered. At best, it's a light-hearted reunion tour. An attempted (but undeserved) final victory lap.

And I did enjoy First Contact when it first came out. Finally, an actual TNG movie after the disaster that was Generations. But it doesn't hold up at all.

I have a feeling a lot of people delude themselves into defending these movies so they can support their retarded fan theory of "All the even number ones are good!"

But we see the exact same thing in Star Wars fandom. People desperately trying to convince themselves Attack of the Clones or Rise of Skywalker or whatever were actually good. I used to do a little prequel defense back in the day, too, so I get it. But those days are over, Stanley.