OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I do like the interaction between Kirk and Spock at the end. Spock asking Kirk “Why would you do this?” is so Vulcan/Spock and of course Kirk’s reply “Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.”
Kind of an asshole thing to say though.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
So Picard S1 was the resolution of Data’s story.
Picard S2 was the resolution of Picard’s story about family (which was only briefly explored Generations and I think tangentially it’s what Nemesis is about.)

I wonder what S3 will ultimately be about.
Resolution of the whole TNG main cast.

Terry Matalas has stated this is intended to be the "Star Trek 6" for TNG, since they didn't get a proper swan song with Nemesis.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Picard S3 will be about killing off more characters. Picard is essentially doing to ST what 7,8,9, did to SW.
They don't want the old characters around anymore.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Picard S3 will be about killing off more characters. Picard is essentially doing to ST what 7,8,9, did to SW.
It would be easier if they just wrote better new characters, and stopped wheeling out endless Spock and Data incarnations.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Based solely on Picard S1 and S2 I can't agree with that analysis. The Star Wars sequels were absolute disasters and appeared to actively destroy the characters built up in the previous films. It was like the writer saw the Dark Knight and decided all the main heroes of Star Wars had lived long enough to become the villains. I'm not sure why they sought to deconstruct the heroes from the original trilogy.

I can see them not wanting the old characters around anymore, but frankly, all of these characters in Star Trek are far too old to have a role in future Star Trek, anyway.

I would like to see a post-Picard Star Trek. Do you think we're being set up for that?

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What did you guys think of Lower Decls Season 3?

I enjoyed it overall. Thought it felt a bit “omg look at how much obscure Trek stuff we can shoehorn in” though certainly Lower Decks is still Trek for Trek fans, but I do enjoy the light ribbing at how absurd the various series can be at times.

I was surprised by a few of the guest voices and I’ll admit I liked the DS9 episode more than I should.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would like to see a post-Picard Star Trek. Do you think we're being set up for that?

In a post TNG timeline? No, I do not. There's nothing left in the future. It all about alternate timelines now, and how many different Spocks we can get.

...Lower Decks was awesome. As always.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Lower Decks Season 3 was enjoyable. Still a lot of member berries, some fun, others just for the sake of it.

The writing was better and they actually occasionally breathed between sentences. A lot better than the hyperactive "everyone's sniffing coke" first season.

Check out Prodigy if you haven't yet. It starts a little slow and the CGI is subpar at times, but the story turns into Trek gold midway to the end.

Rumor has it one of the TNG cast dies in episode 9 of season 3. Multiple YT reviews that got to see the whole thing say it's an episode that'll break your heart.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Rumor has it one of the TNG cast dies in episode 9 of season 3. Multiple YT reviews that got to see the whole thing say it's an episode that'll break your heart.

Damn now I’m really curious. Worf dying to save everyone and to finally meet Jadzia in Sto’Vo’Kor would probably break me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Lower Decks Season 3 was enjoyable. Still a lot of member berries, some fun, others just for the sake of it.

The writing was better and they actually occasionally breathed between sentences. A lot better than the hyperactive "everyone's sniffing coke" first season.

Check out Prodigy if you haven't yet. It starts a little slow and the CGI is subpar at times, but the story turns into Trek gold midway to the end.

Did Prodigy end or get canned?

Tried watching it but I couldn't get past the first episode.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Prodigy finished season 1 and was renewed for a second.

Stick with it, it's worth it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard S3 - E2. Now we're getting somewhere! Great episode.

Spoiler:
Worf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the rumored character death, I hope it's not Raffi because I just don't have a great attachment to her. She's too neurotic for her death to have an emotional impact unless the writing is really, really good. Will Picard die in his own series? Too obvious or...? I still want Worf to meet Jadzia in Sto'Vo'Kor but that's just me.

I want say it's 7 of 9, but I don't think so - and I hope not. I'd love to see her in command of the Titan or her own ship (...the enterprise?) but I doubt we'll see her in further Trek. Ryan isn't that old though, I'm not sure what she wants to do.

As I said before I'm still hoping for a post-Picard Trek featuring a federation at peace with the Romulans. Perhaps after SNW ends, because I feel like right now that SNW is the version of Trek showing and telling stories of a peaceful, hopeful future.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Reading back some of this thread and I used to really not like Worf and DS9, lol. I can say Worf is definitely a high point of DS9 and I'm a big fan of his character now. I'll even admit to enjoy DS9. It's not my favorite Trek, of course. I suppose I just don't care to hate the bad Trek as much, anymore. It's not worth my time. I'll even forgive Discovery, though it's the worst Trek show at this point and not a direction I hope to see the series continue in.

Picard and DS9 both have dealt a bit with the Trek universe outside of the federation (well as much as they can show from a federation perspective) I wonder if we'll ever get a non-federation, live action, show. Yeah, I know Prodigy offers a different perspective - I've still yet to watch it but will. A Klingon show about the great houses in the style of the best political intrigue and backstabbing ala Game of Thrones could be fun (actually this might make for a great video game.)

But I absolutely don't want Trek over saturation like we now have with Marvel and Star Wars.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But I absolutely don't want Trek over saturation like we now have with Marvel and Star Wars.
The problem is that Trek has a much lower threshold for saturation. Much, much lower. Maybe because so much of how little we do get has been bad since the 1990s. Or at the very least, not great.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The problem is that Trek has a much lower threshold for saturation. Much, much lower. Maybe because so much of how little we do get has been bad since the 1990s. Or at the very least, not great.
With Strange New Worlds, Prodigy, the latter two seasons of Lower Decks, and Picard Season 3, I think the franchise is turning the corner.

I agree that the saturation limit for Star Trek is lower than Marvel or Star Wars, due to ST primarily being a TV series, and unlike Star Wars, isn't restraining itself to tell and retell stories within a set time frame.

At some point, Star Wars needs to start exploring the old and high republic eras and get out of it's Episode 1-9 rut.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
At some point, Star Wars needs to start exploring the old and high republic eras and get out of it's Episode 1-9 rut.

I would just have zero interest in this.

There was the opportunity to tell a lot of great stories after RotJ, however, I think the sequels pretty much ruined this with their terrible storytelling and disastrous take on the evolution of the universe.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I have and it was great. Looking forward to episode 3.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, pretty good ep. Still can't stand Raffi but at least the reveal of her Handler was cool.

I like that there were a few more 12 Monkeys references in there like one of the alias names of Crusher was James Cole, and the guy that played the Ferengi 'gangster' (lol) was the guy who played James Cole in the show.

Edit: and the drug was called Splinter.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, pretty good ep. Still can't stand Raffi but at least the reveal of her Handler was cool.

I like that there were a few more 12 Monkeys references in there like one of the alias names of Crusher was James Cole, and the guy that played the Ferengi 'gangster' (lol) was the guy who played James Cole in the show.

Edit: and the drug was called Splinter.

Neat reference. Didn’t catch that because I haven’t seen 12 Monkeys since the 90s lol.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Neat reference. Didn’t catch that because I haven’t seen 12 Monkeys since the 90s lol.
Well, its not a reference to the movie, but rather the tv show from a few years back. The main writer on Picard (at least this season?) is Terry Matalas. He worked a lot on TNG and Voyager, I believe. But he also basically ran the 12 Monkeys (2015) show for the shows run. I honestly had never heard of the guy until his name started popping up on youtube videos about Picard's current season, but yeah. I liked the 12 Monkeys show. It was a (very) loose retelling of the Gilliam flick, which was in turn a loose retelling of La Jetee.

Its really its own thing, but the main premise is there. Big outbreak, lots dead, time travel, James Cole, etc. 4 seasons at about 12 eps each so it doesn't drag on for 20000 episodes. It also ended, it wasn't canceled.

edit: Oh, and the jackass with a heart of gold, Captain Shaw - that actor plays a significant part in the show as well, as a character (who is honestly very similar) named Deacon.