OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
On some real depressing shit I just learned the guy who played Alexander, John Paul Steur, killed himself a few years back. He was 33. Damn.
Wasn't he Alexander only for the very first appearance of that character?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
On some real depressing shit I just learned the guy who played Alexander, John Paul Steur, killed himself a few years back. He was 33. Damn.
Which Alexander, Worfs kid? He was played by Brian Bonsall.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Not surprising, Worf was a shitty father

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Which Alexander, Worfs kid? He was played by Brian Bonsall.
there was more than one actor playing alexander. john steuer was the orignal though, followed by bonsall and two other actors for his adult appearances.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I guess all Klingons look the same to me. Never knew he was played by more than one person.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Yeah I recall that. Tragic. Nog as well.

On a lighter note, I'm rewatching season 3 as I wait for episode 8. Goddamn this shit is good. Shocked at how good it is.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think part of the reason Picard is so good, is that Patrick Stewart & Jonothan Frakes have input on how it's made, which means it ends up being more like Next Gen, than Discovery & SNW are.

I was surprised when the Data & Lore characters returned. Looks like Spiner was convinced to play them again.

Season 3 is starting to make references to DS9. I thought they had forgotten about DS9, none of the actors/characters from that show had appeared before now. Now there are shapeshifters, and references to the Dominion, and Worf (if you consider Worf to be DS9, rather than just a Next Gen character). I like how Worf doesn't have the new Klingon design that was featured in Discovery.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I think part of the reason Picard is so good, is that Patrick Stewart & Jonothan Frakes have input on how it's made, which means it ends up being more like Next Gen, than Discovery & SNW are.

I was surprised when the Data & Lore characters returned. Looks like Spiner was convinced to play them again.

Season 3 is starting to make references to DS9. I thought they had forgotten about DS9, none of the actors/characters from that show had appeared before now. Now there are shapeshifters, and references to the Dominion, and Worf (if you consider Worf to be DS9, rather than just a Next Gen character). I like how Worf doesn't have the new Klingon design that was featured in Discovery.
Discovery = STD ...gross

Edit: I don't care for the trend of that distinct sound effect for enemies in scifi. That BWAAAHHHHHHMMMMMM that is all too common now. First time I heard that was in Bay's Transformers film. Either way...ick

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

It's the opposite actually.

Pat Stew had major influence as an exec producer on seasons 1 and 2, especially season 1 where he was mostly in the driver's seat on story decisions.

His influence was significantly less for season 3 with him mostly just acting and having some input here and there.

Jonathan Frakes had no more or less as an occasional director for all three seasons, and for this season, actor.

As for Worf's appearance, I'm also really glad they haven't done Disco Klingon designs for Picard. Fans would riot (and rightfully so) if they had dared. Plus I doubt Michael Dorn would have signed on if it meant being buried that all that excessive makeup.

Personally, I'd be completely fine if that Klingon design never, ever appeared on screen again. I think it was one of the biggest missteps Disco made and a symptom of them trying waaaaay too hard to be different and "modern".

Fygee

20 Year Member
Discovery = STD ...gross

Edit: I don't care for the trend of that distinct sound effect for enemies in scifi. That BWAAAHHHHHHMMMMMM that is all too common now. First time I heard that was in Bay's Transformers film. Either way...ick
I actually don't mind it because it's a deliberate callback to the blaster beam used in TMP for V'ger, along with brief snippets in the score for ST 2 and 3. (which is also what's making that sound for the Shrike).

It does suck that the "BWOAAAHH" sound got used and abused by Michael Bay and Hans Zimmer in so many 2010's movies, so it's lost a lot of it's impact.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Was it in Enterprise where they tried to explain in-universe why Klingons appear differently between TOS and the TMP eras?

That was just dumb, Worf’s comment in DS9 on the Tribble episode should always be seen as a meta, breaking the 4th wall joke to fans of Trek.

Discovery’s Klingons are just dumb. Over on some Star Trek subreddits I’ve seen the most inane head-canon trying to make all the different on-screen Klingon appearances fit in world. As if there is some plausible explanation in universe when reality it is just art design and (originally) budget.

Next we’ll have some assgole theory on why the Enterprise looks different between SNW and TOS.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Was it in Enterprise where they tried to explain in-universe why Klingons appear differently between TOS and the TMP eras?

That was just dumb, Worf’s comment in DS9 on the Tribble episode should always be seen as a meta, breaking the 4th wall joke to fans of Trek.

Discovery’s Klingons are just dumb. Over on some Star Trek subreddits I’ve seen the most inane head-canon trying to make all the different on-screen Klingon appearances fit in world. As if there is some plausible explanation in universe when reality it is just art design and (originally) budget.

Next we’ll have some assgole theory on why the Enterprise looks different between SNW and TOS.
Yup. Morphogenic virus, or something like that. It kind of works, and also adds an element as to why Klingons were really not fans of humans.

Already plenty of nerds that have debated why Disco/SNW Enterprise looks different than TOS since Disco's season 2.

At some point, Star Trek needs needs to properly "reboot" to a completely separate and unrelated universe so shows like Discovery can have their sandbox without being burdened by 57 (technically 59) years of canon. If they need to Treksplain it, then make it a universe/dimension that split off from the prime one like....a hundred thousands years ago because of (insert technobabble here). You can still have prime universe shows that will remain authentic to the original universe and all of it's canon and lore.

The JJ movies tried to have their cake and eat it too, but then they just fucked it up with Into Darkness. Beyond at least,was accurate with the Franklin and it's crew.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It's the opposite actually.

Pat Stew had major influence as an exec producer on seasons 1 and 2, especially season 1 where he was mostly in the driver's seat on story decisions.

His influence was significantly less for season 3 with him mostly just acting and having some input here and there.

Jonathan Frakes had no more or less as an occasional director for all three seasons, and for this season, actor.

As for Worf's appearance, I'm also really glad they haven't done Disco Klingon designs for Picard. Fans would riot (and rightfully so) if they had dared. Plus I doubt Michael Dorn would have signed on if it meant being buried that all that excessive makeup.

Personally, I'd be completely fine if that Klingon design never, ever appeared on screen again. I think it was one of the biggest missteps Disco made and a symptom of them trying waaaaay too hard to be different and "modern".
I guess that makes sense. Come to think of it, seasons 1 & 2 were better in some ways- they had more meat to the story about Picard, scences set on Earth (at Picard's farm), and some real dialogue.
Season 3 is just a story about Picard's son, without any real intrigue to it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
maybe because its not 1967 anymore and plywood and cardboard sets would look silly.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
maybe because its not 1967 anymore and plywood and cardboard sets would look silly.
Yeah, but they'd still be practical (real) effects, which are arguably better than CGI for some things.

Fygee

20 Year Member
They still embraced that look wholeheartedly for flashback episodes of TNG, DS9, and Enterprise. The materials changed, but the design didn't.

Anyways, nerd canon arguments aside, I think SNW Enterprise is a perfect hybrid of that older style with today's design and tech. Whomever came up with it deserves an Emmy.

I guess that makes sense. Come to think of it, seasons 1 & 2 were better in some ways- they had more meat to the story about Picard, scences set on Earth (at Picard's farm), and some real dialogue.
Season 3 is just a story about Picard's son, without any real intrigue to it.

I wouldn't say better, just different. I did enjoy season 1's Earth scenes since you rarely get to see anything that isn't San Fransisco. Even Chateau Picard was only ever seen in two TNG episodes prior.

We still got some Chateau Picard action in S3's first episode, and S3 is absolutely packed to the gills with "real dialogue", even though it's on a ship with a lot of familiar faces.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I wonder if Thomas Riker has anything to do with this? Rewatching the season ahead of episode 8...drunk I might add, hence these thoughts.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
That would be a wild callback. Wasnt he last seen in DS9 in the Maquis?

I think so, yeah

Another random drunk memory. Opening night in the theater watching First Contact. The opening scene where Worf gets promoted and this black guy down close to front row just shouts, "BOUT TIME!".

I'll never forget that.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I wouldn't say better, just different. I did enjoy season 1's Earth scenes since you rarely get to see anything that isn't San Fransisco. Even Chateau Picard was only ever seen in two TNG episodes prior.

We still got some Chateau Picard action in S3's first episode, and S3 is absolutely packed to the gills with "real dialogue", even though it's on a ship with a lot of familiar faces.
Some of the best Star Trek episodes were those that weren't even set in space, or on a spaceship.
The Chateau Picard episodes in TNG and ST: Picard feel more relaxed, and it's all about the story & characters.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I think so, yeah

Another random drunk memory. Opening night in the theater watching First Contact. The opening scene where Worf gets promoted and this black guy down close to front row just shouts, "BOUT TIME!".

I'll never forget that.
Close, that was Generations, not First Contact.
That would be a wild callback. Wasnt he last seen in DS9 in the Maquis?
Yup, and sent to a Cardassian gulag after turning himself in.

Fate is unknown, but it's fair to assume he died, especially after the Maquis got completely wiped out by the Dominion.

Trek being Trek though, "there is always...possibilities".