Official Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc Curators Thread

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The juggling monkey is top fun, all part of the ngcd experience, i count the juggles between level's.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Who here has played Crossed Swords 2? 1 is one of my favorite games and I’m almost ready to buy a CD just to play 2. This would be one I want to experience on OG hardware for the first time, so don’t really want to play it emulates first.
Also, what are your preferred versions of the NGCD? I’d lean towards the CDZ due to load times, but as I’ve been reading here and there, it sounds like they are more prone to fail? True?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Also, what are your preferred versions of the NGCD? I’d lean towards the CDZ due to load times, but as I’ve been reading here and there, it sounds like they are more prone to fail? True?
CDZ.
No.
No.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
For anybody that can, get the Unibios. Region switching at will, cheat menu, and it even slightly reduces loading times.

Does it?

I have a unibios fitted to mine but I have never noticed a difference?
Admittedly I never timed it, I assume its a marginal difference?

madman

Does it?

I have a unibios fitted to mine but I have never noticed a difference?
Admittedly I never timed it, I assume its a marginal difference?

Even Raz says it's "hardly noticeable."

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's fascinating that over the last 20 years, the CDZ has universally been reported by everyone to be by far the most likely to fail, but now in 2018, it is magically no longer the case. It's a Christmas miracle.

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's fascinating that over the last 20 years, the CDZ has universally been reported by everyone to be by far the most likely to fail, but now in 2018, it is magically no longer the case. It's a Christmas miracle.

Survivorship bias, all the unreliable ones are long dead, only the strongest CDZs survive to this day.

madman

I bought my CDZ from the original owner, I haven't had any issues nor the widely reported "lulz the CDZ overheats" problem. I don't doubt CDZs have failed and it's obvious from EBay that front and top loaders have gone tits up as well.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
CDZ is failures are generally due to heat, as I understand it. So don't put your CDZ on the carpet or in a small, enclosed space and you should be fine.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I bought my CDZ from the original owner, I haven't had any issues
Oh, anecdotal evidence! Why didn't you say so? Who needs statistics when you have that?

That reminds me, guys, GREAT NEWS: I just found out smoking isn't really harmful to your health because my friend's grandfather lived until 93, and he was a 2-pack-a-day guy. Now maybe we can get those dumb warning labels taken off of cigarette packs. Another myth debunked!

madman

I saw some broken PS1s, Saturns and PS2s on EBay. They must be prone to failure. Statistics, brah!

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
So from the info in this thread, for anybody who is considering buying a NGCD:

Pros
Cheaper console and games
Plays burned discs without modification
Better RGB output compared to some AES systems
Some exclusive titles
Many games have arranged soundtracks
Some games have extra content, eg 5th course in Neo Turf Masters

Cons
Loading times (especially on later fighters, some unplayable)
Less titles
Some differences in complex games, eg smaller sprites or missing backgrounds

So I think this pretty much proves there are pros and cons to owning any Neo Geo system, and saying the AES/MVS is better across the board is simply not true.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So from the info in this thread, for anybody who is considering buying a NGCD:

Pros
Cheaper console and games
Plays burned discs without modification
Better RGB output compared to some AES systems
Some exclusive titles
Many games have arranged soundtracks
Some games have extra content, eg 5th course in Neo Turf Masters

Cons
Loading times (especially on later fighters, some unplayable)
Less titles
Some differences in complex games, eg smaller sprites or missing backgrounds

So I think this pretty much proves there are pros and cons to owning any Neo Geo system, and saying the AES/MVS is better across the board is simply not true.

Pretty much, But the CDZ does have a form of copy protection.
Its fairly easy to by pass it with patched games though.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
When I got the Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc System in college, I was drowning in it from my high intelligence and expert dexterity. Learning the proper bean controller technique made me very popular with the ladies.

madman

In the event fellow connoisseurs didn’t see my post in news and rumors, NGDev did a reprint of Last Hope.