Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All Dune posts here.

Post about Dune in other threads at your own risk.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what is undoubtedly going to turn out to be the next Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

So glad they filmed parts one and two Simultaneously so we can see the conclusion next year.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Can we talk about other movies here that have deserts in them

• Haha
Reactions: @M

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
What about movies with.... (you knew it was coming...) desserts.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Can we talk about other movies here that have deserts in them
beavisandbutthead-stupid-desert.gif

tumblr_mg042r84lo1rl52wjo2_500.gifv

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It's strange, I completely forgot a new movie was coming out and had started rereading the first book.
It's been so long I've forgotten most of the story so it kinda feels new to me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only reason fami cares about this is because Aquaman is in it, he's super worried about how this will effect the DCU. If it doesn't make a trillion dollars we'll never get the directors cut of Justice League 3 fifteen years from now.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Waiting for the Tremors/Dune crossover event.

Arrow released beautiful 4k UHD editions of them both this year.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
David Lynch's Dune is one of the worst movies ever put to film and nobody should ever, ever watch it again.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dune's international gross is up to 117.1 million dollars. Biggest markets so far:
France - $24.2M
Russia - $19.4M
Germany - $15.7M
Spain - $7.9M
Italy - $7.6M
Taiwan - $4.6M
Netherlands - $4.3M
Denmark - $3.4M
Ukraine - $3.3M
Sweden - $3.3M
Belgium - $3.0M
Hong Kong - $2.9M

Next weekend it opens in Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Greece, Malaysia, Ghana, Nigeria, and East Africa.

Japan figures to be the biggest market so far.

prof

Why do you have so many sealed movies on your shelf
When possible, I usually open the side of box sets with a razor and keep the shrink on the packaging. I do the same thing with records. I guess it keeps the dust off and keeps them nicer or whatever, but it's just what I've always done.

David Lynch's Dune is one of the worst movies ever put to film and nobody should ever, ever watch it again.
While not a great movie by any means, I still really enjoy it. The overall dark atmosphere throughout, with the fog and atonal soundtrack mixed with the general weirdness of the makeup and set design, it's Lynchian through and through. I realize there was studio interference and he's tried to distance himself from it, and it's certainly not without shortcomings, but as a big Lynch fan, I enjoy it. His fingerprints are all over the screen.

famicommander

15 Year Member
While not a great movie by any means, I still really enjoy it. The overall dark atmosphere throughout, with the fog and atonal soundtrack mixed with the general weirdness of the makeup and set design, it's Lynchian through and through. I realize there was studio interference and he's tried to distance himself from it, and it's certainly not without shortcomings, but as a big Lynch fan, I enjoy it. His fingerprints are all over the screen.
If the studio hadn't interfered it would've been even worse.

He wanted to film the whole thing in black and white and he wanted aardvarks instead of pugs.

I've seen three cuts of the film (theatrical, Smithee television cut, Spice Diver Fan Edit) and none of them are good. The soundtrack is good, but that's it.

The biggest problem is that Lynch didn't like or understand the source material. I'm not convinced he even read the novel. He had no intention of telling the story of Dune; his intention was to make weird pretentious shit for the sake of making weird pretentious shit.

prof

@famicommander
Even among my nerdy buddies who are into sci-fi, I'm the only person I know who actually enjoys Lynch's Dune. Pretty much everyone I've ever talked to about it has had a similar take on it as you. So, I can't say that you're wrong. No accounting for taste and whatnot. I'm just an anomaly that happens to really like the movie. We can still be buddies. ;D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Dune's international gross is up to 117.1 million dollars. Biggest markets so far:
France - $24.2M
Russia - $19.4M
Germany - $15.7M
Spain - $7.9M
Italy - $7.6M
Taiwan - $4.6M
Netherlands - $4.3M
Denmark - $3.4M
Ukraine - $3.3M
Sweden - $3.3M
Belgium - $3.0M
Hong Kong - $2.9M

Next weekend it opens in Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Greece, Malaysia, Ghana, Nigeria, and East Africa.

Japan figures to be the biggest market so far.

Has it opened in those countries listed or are those ticket presale numbers?