Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Hopefully this mended relationship between you two gets fami to shut the fuck up about Dune

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The more it bothers you (and especially basic) that I talk about Dune, the more I'm gonna talk about Dune.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Errybody wanna live dat blue within blue eyes left but don't no one wanna live dat fremen life

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dune up to 130M worldwide.

It's not a massive hit in Asia like it is in Europe. It's not flopping in Asia either, it just didn't break out big.

Next week is the US/Canada, China, South Korea, UK, Latin America, and tons of other markets. Basically everywhere else in the world besides Australia and New Zealand.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Deadline is reporting that insiders told them 300M is number they'd need worldwide for Dune to be considered a success.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You should go down to your local theater and stand outside with a sign to let everyone know it needs to make $300M minimum, unless you're already doing that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You should go down to your local theater and stand outside with a sign to let everyone know it needs to make $300M minimum, unless you're already doing that.
There's no question it's going to make 300M, though.

It'll be over 200M by Sunday.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I guess I’ll go see this on Friday. Is this as long as the last bond movie? I totally had to get up during that to take a piss.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damnit, okay - what’s the most boring part I should take a piss during.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Good for Villenue but frankly it’s still a slap in his face that they didn’t film both at the same time imo.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
A lot of the casting really sucked. Far too many comic book clowns, and the kid who played Paul was awful.

Music sucked too. People really underestimate how much these circuses need catchy music to work. Star Wars would have been nothing without the music.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's up on HBO Max right now for anyone not going to a theater.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What kind of pussy wouldn’t see the new Lord of the Rings in the theater?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What kind of pussy wouldn’t see the new Lord of the Rings in the theater?
If this is the new Star Wars and Matrix was also the new Star Wars, does that mean Dune is the new Matrix, too?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just got home from the theater.

I really liked it. Probably about as good as Arrival for me and better than Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Enemy, or Prisoners as far as Villeneuve's films go.

Some stuff was missing, though
Spoiler:

They didn't show the suspected traitor storyline, it just happens. I wonder if this is something they filmed and we might see in a deleted scene or an extended version. Duncan getting super drunk and accusing Jessica was a great scene from the book, and Leto cultivating the idea that he's suspicious of Jessica even to her adds another layer to his character.

The big dinner scene, which is probably the funniest in the novel, wasn't in there either. I sort of get why since the scene introduced about half a dozen characters in the book that never come up again.

Some of the roles fufilled by Thufir and Gurney in the book have been pushed to Duncan here and vice versa. I assume this is so they could get some more weight out of Duncan before he dies in this one, as Gurney and Thufir will have a lot more to do in the next one.

Obviously Liet Kynes was gender swapped. That probably had to happen since without her the only relevant female character for much of the film would be Jessica. The next movie will heavily feature many females, though: Chani, Irulan, Alia, Mohiam, the Fremen Reverend Mother, Harah, etc.

There was a scene we know was cut where Gurney explains where he got his facial scar and plays the baliset. Hope we get to see that.

The main complaint I had was pretty minor. When Jessica accepts the crysknife from Shadout Mapes, she sheaths the blade without drawing blood I'm pretty sure. They're not supposed to do that, and later in the movie they show Fremen cutting themselves before putting their blades away. So perhaps they filmed the scene about Jessica drawing blood with it and cut it for some reason? Not sure.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just got through it. It was slow. But it wasn't boring. I enjoyed it. I thought I was gonna love Skarsgard as the Baron, but I was underwhelmed with him. I was hoping to see what the Navigators were gonna look like but they only showed them in their weird little containment suits.

At first I didnt like the kid they chose for Paul, but by the end of the movie, that opinion hadn't changed. #recastPaulforPart2

I think Zendaya is a pretty gal, but the only things Ive ever seen her in were this and Spider-man 1/2, and in each film they make her look like she doesn't shower. I thought Isaac did a great job as Leto. I liked it, honestly. But in all seriousness - there wasn't enough Sandworm.

Seriously man. And they cut it off right as Paul was gonna worm ride and then Toto was gonna bust out playing. Lost opportunity.