Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s the large Pepsi.

I’m old enough to not be a fucking cheapskate and buy a damn soda and popcorn at the theater.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I guess I could I attach a hose to my dick and drain it in my empty cup.

But I wouldn’t do that to someone earning minimum wage.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Frank Herbert would probably have to pee half way through this movie.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
They will only see my money went I rent it, months down the line.

Small tymer.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In 1994 I, being a petulant child, had not peed before going to see Disney’s Lion King.

I had to go as soon as the movie started, I held it as long as I could, but being a child it didn’t work.

I got up and went to the restroom.

When I returned, Mufasa was dead, and it was not until the VHS Home Release that I saw what happened.

I didn’t go to the bathroom at the theater for years afterward during a film.

Then I grew up and realized it didn’t matter.

I even took a leak during Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Not that missing a scene was a great loss, but there was cautiously optimistic hype and excitement at the time.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
TMI, but I even took a shit during the Independence Day sequel.

What I flushed down the toilet was a finer work of art than what was onscreen.
Why would you even see that? The first movie wasn't even good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Independence Day 2 was better than Alien: Covenant (which I also saw in the theater) and it’s homo erotic androids. “Play my flute, David” LMFAO.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Independence Day 2 was better than Alien: Covenant (which I also saw in the theater) and it’s homo erotic androids. “Play my flute, David” LMFAO.
Getting kicked in the dick and falling down the stairs is better than Alien: Covenant.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yes.

And the parts where Paul/Jessica use the weirding voice it gets SUPER FUCKING LOUD, but dialogue itself is whisper quiet.
Ugh.

One of my best friends is an audio engineer that works on movies and commercials and he was explaining to me why that has been happening. Theoretically the audio can be mixed without even listening to it just by watching the levels which have base points and peaks as a standardized measurement.

With new movies they lower the base level and raise the peak because if they slowly go from 0-10 they have nowhere to go from there. Which isn't a problem if you follow the guidelines where talking is at 3 then a rise in action or tension slowly up to 7 then hit you with a 10 and drop it back down to 3 and end on a 7. Now they hit 10 as a medium and go to 15 for the big impact shots then immediately drop it down to -5. So 0 becomes -5 and 10 becomes 15, it's constant tug of war between loudness and silence. Then on top of that you have the multi channel surround and subwoofers which are mixed for actual theaters and not home theaters and it's just a fucking mess.

Christopher Nolan loves this shit because he thinks it's more dynamic and immersive and it's horrible and unfortunately the studios have pretty much all started using the new model.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Independence Day earned over $800,000,000.

Just saying.
Avatar is the biggest movie of all time.

And it's still just a shittier Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves with giant blue kitties and some creepy sex stuff.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I liked Avatar better when it was called Fern Gully.

Independence Day is a fun movie, but I have nostalgia for Will Smith summer blockbusters.

Too bad Wild, Wild, West was such shit. I like “Weird West” stuff. The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. was a fun show.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I hate ID4 but have to admit the White House getting blasted is one of the iconic images of cinema in the past 50 years.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hate is a strong word.

I saw the film when I was 12 so of course I loved. It’s a terrible film, of course, but I never regret revisiting it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I maybe hate the effect it had on movies going forward more than I hate the film itself. But it is pretty terrible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The whole movie can be reduced to Pullman's speech and the White House blowing up and you don't lose anything.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
ID4 was the beginning of the end of remotely intelligent popcorn films.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
ID4 was the beginning of the end of remotely intelligent popcorn films.
Maybe not the beginning but it was definitely the tipping point for acceptable stupidity. Everything Roland Emmerich makes is that movie but he just substitutes even more a ridiculous civilization ending thing. The first is was aliens, then it's radioactive dinosaurs, then it was reverse global warning, then it was the Mayan apocalypse. Just an amazing downward trajectory of dumb.