Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I think “welcome to earf“ is a classic line. I think the aliens are cool too. An alien...thats a parasite in a different alien? That’s pretty great imo.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I love ID4.

Attachments

• 2A795737-7B79-4932-9DDF-CADC38777FD3.jpeg
    2A795737-7B79-4932-9DDF-CADC38777FD3.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 3

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I just finished D U N E. I’ll post my thoughts tomorrow but overall I thought it was real good for what it is.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
What are some pre-1996 intelligent popcorn films.

The French Connection, Jaws, Raiders (and its two sequels), Star Wars, Back to the Future, Big Trouble in Little China and a hundred other movies from 1975 through the early 90s that were modest-to-big budgeted action/adventure movies that didn't actively insult the audience's intelligence. They were versed in the history of film, weren't written by a Ritalin-addled 12-year-old and weren't directed with all of the grace and subtlety of a brick to the face.

ID4 is aggressively stupid and gave birth to the idea that popcorn movies were supposed to be dumb and you were just supposed to "turn your brain off" and have fun. Fuck that. They're just bad movies with a lot of flashing lights and loud noises that distract retards for 2 hours.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just got back from Dune (part 1). I'll write more tomorrow, but if I had to describe it in one word, that word would be: In-fucking-terminable.

About 10 minutes shorter than Bond, but it felt easily three times as long. Multiple laps going over the same information. Yeah, Villeneuve avoided using internal narration. But he did it by having characters instead unnaturally mutter exposition under their breath, sometimes for other characters to hear. So it wasn't exactly an improvement.

I liked the movie for the scenes it included that Lynch skipped over. And I have to say that other than Liet Kynes (who was awful), everything related to the Fremen was better than in Lynch's across the board. But everything else was a toss up.

And the final line of dialogue in the movie made me want to strangle the screenwriter and director. FUCKING EYE-ROLLINGLY HACKY. You have to be kidding me with that shit. Quick, we have to end the movie on a cliche...who has ideas? I know, I know, how about this?

If they make a part 2, I'll watch it from home. If they don't make a part 2, oh well. I won't lose sleep over it. Some good moments, but not Villeneuve's best.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
It was boring as fuck. Well acted, beautiful visuals but the story could have been told in one film. I prefer the lynch one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, Villeneuve avoided using internal narration. But he did it by having characters instead unnaturally mutter exposition under their breath, sometimes for other characters to hear. So it wasn't exactly an improvement.
I noticed that too and thought it was a really weird way of handling that. I don't have a lot of love (or hate) for LynchDune, but at least he had the characters literally thinking those things to themselves.

It was very odd to have a "excuse me, what?" "oh... nothing.." exchange lol

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just watched it on HBO, and I’m glad I didn’t see it in the theatre. It was so slow and boring….very much like most HBO dramas these days. It’s drawn out for no reason.

This isn’t a remake, it’s a demake. Everything about this version is worse than the original. Great actors with rigid and awkward dialogue. None of them even had a chance to act. You’d think the modern special effects would help. The coolest thing in this movie is the ornithopters, but they lean into them way too hard.

WTF happened with the melee combat?!?!?. It’s slow and weak. It feels like the actors were too worried about hurting each other so they pulled back with every swing. I can’t believe how poorly this was done. I’d rather watch the combat from Iron Fist.

Walk without rhythm…the movie

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nobody who liked Lynch's Dune gets an opinion on movies ever again. David Lynch himself disowned it and requested that nobody ever watch it or ask him about it again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
WTF happened with the melee combat?!?!?. It’s slow and weak. It feels like the actors were too worried about hurting each other so they pulled back with every swing. I can’t believe how poorly this was done. I’d rather watch the combat from Iron Fist.

Walk without rhythm…the movie
thank you yes. The fight scenes were so bad.

and fucking Momoa… he’s really fallen off the horse with that weight gain. Shaved his beard and gained 20 lbs.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Nobody who liked Lynch's Dune gets an opinion on movies ever again. David Lynch himself disowned it and requested that nobody ever watch it or ask him about it again.
everyone i know who isn't autistic or half-poisoned by children's action films was able to absorb Lynch's Dune with a moderate amount of praise while still acknowledging that it has problems or could be perceived as not the best thing ever. I think you're pathologically obsessed with this shit. With that being said I'm not sure if you're really an authority on Dune or even cinema at all.

famicommander

15 Year Member
everyone i know who isn't autistic or half-poisoned by children's action films was able to absorb Lynch's Dune with a moderate amount of praise while still acknowledging that it has problems or could be perceived as not the best thing ever. I think you're pathologically obsessed with this shit. With that being said I'm not sure if you're really an authority on Dune or even cinema at all.
It was named the worst film of 1984 by both Siskel and Ebert. The guy who directed it hated it. The only people who liked it are in this thread.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
With that being said I'm not sure if you're really an authority on Dune or even cinema at all.
I mean, that's pretty fucking obvious.

Whatever, he's never going to live any of this down. I've never seen anyone behave the way he has over the last couple months, he's above M on the crazy scale except he doesn't have a degenerative brain condition to use as an excuse.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I devised this little setup wizard to find out if a modern movie is retarded. It could even help you discover if you are retarded.

If you answer 'No' for any of the questions 1 - 3, you should dismiss all considerations of judging the film, or prematurely ejaculating from the topic of the film, and go do something else. Consider watching it for free some day.

1. Did the movie come out this year? If yes, continue the setup wizard.
  2. Does it have a rating of PG-13 or above? If yes, continue the Setup Wizard
  3. Will it have melee fighting scenes and/or is the film's plot reliant upon melee combat? If yes, continue the setup wizard
  4. Are you legally allowed to see the movie without a guardian? If yes, do not go see the movie. Dismiss all considerations of judging the film, or prematurely ejaculating from the topic of the film, and go do something else.
If you answered 'No' on step 4, congratulations! You may be the target audience for the film. Enjoy the entertainment.

If you choose to ignore the setup wizard's rigid system, and you answer 'Yes' to step 4, and you attend the screening anyway , then you do not get to complain afterwards about the cinematic quality of the film. You are terminally juvenile and you must divulge all your opinions at the children's table from now on until you re-evaluate your sensibilities in the arts and rectify your shitty tastes. Consider why, or how you fell for the marketing campaign.

And finally, if you found artistic / intellectual value in the film after answering 'Yes' to all the wizard's questions and seeing the film, you're still a popcorn-shitting peasant as described above. You are terminally juvenile. Proceed to the children's table and reminisce about the action scenes and the surface-level advertising campaign at once.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
It was named the worst film of 1984 by both Siskel and Ebert. The guy who directed it hated it. The only people who liked it are in this thread.
Not that this is news to me, but you don't have a decent ability to critique art or cinema beyond an adolescent level then, because none of that shit is relevant to my point. You could probably be manipulated into liking anything as long as you were able to scrape up enough mainstream data to support any pathological fanaticism you possess for the source material. You are citing Lynch himself as an authority on the film when, at the same exact time, you've been calling him a retarded hack all the while you were psyching yourself out to HATE 84 dune LOVE 2021 Dune .

Lynch makes a shitty movie that you weren't even a zygote for when it was released in theaters. Then later on he calls his own movie a piece of shit. Big whoop. Do you know how many artists hate their own work that is regarded by other "authorities" as essential, amazing, monumental pieces of genius, etc. etc. etc.

Your brain isn't equipped for this shit. You'd do better as a sales rep or a spambot, because you sure are equipped to obsessively hammer numbers , figures, sensationalism / objective 'evidence for success' into every empty space you can find. You're a mule by every definition of the word pal. Keep pulling the plow, by all means, but I am explaining exactly why you're treated like a dumbass despite all your figures and numbers and sources making objective sense.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The fact that you wrote all that justifies everything I've said in this thread. You're mad at me for being invested in the outcome of this movie but you're willing to post a wall of text because I said a shitty movie was shitty.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I mean, that's pretty fucking obvious.

Whatever, he's never going to live any of this down. I've never seen anyone behave the way he has over the last couple months, he's above M on the crazy scale except he doesn't have a degenerative brain condition to use as an excuse.
I hit the lulz button but I’m laughing at the first part. Not the m part.