Official NG.com Dune: Part One Thread

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
He doesn't have to admit it, because Villeneuve already did.

Also, in addition from taking some design cues from Lynch, Villeneuve also seemed to borrow from Jodorowsky's The Metabarons, which was basically Jodorowsky's adaptation of his own rambling and pointless idiotic vision of Dune.

Shockingly no. Dune's story is better, merely on the basis of inheriting it from super strong source material. But Villeneuve does a halfway incompetent job of relaying that story. And in pretty much every way other than the source story, Dune does not do significantly better than Prometheus.

Even though the movie was a piece of shit, I have to say that Prometheus is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen. It's the Art of Fighting of movies.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just finished it. I didn't hate it, the architecture was very well done and it didn't feel like it dragged considering it's length but it just wasn't engaging. It felt very flat and sterile. The whispering exposition was ridiculous and the wailing in the soundtrack was obnoxious and played out. The mother is just terrible, her performance alternated between mental breakdown/fetal position freakout and secret badass/supernatural witch sometimes even within a single scene.

I doubt many people that weren't already fans of the franchise and sic-fi will care much when the sequel comes out in a couple years. The ending while a perfectly logical point to stop is not enough of a cliff hanger or a satisfactory bump of emotion to make normies hungry for more.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m honestly curious if after Part 2 comes out (if it does) if we’ll see some directors cut/extended edition of both films.

The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions were an interesting idea, I don’t know if the add material made the films better (I actually can’t recall it’s been years since I’ve seen the trilogy.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
More tinfoil hat: all similarities to spice being like a drug were removed because of CCP censorship. Can't remind people of how awesome opium was.

Man I’d love to get some documents or even just be a fly on the wall in the room for some of these Hollywood films when they talk about how they’re going to appease certain audiences.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Can the paper tiger try something against NATO countries already, so megacorps can stop pretending they're woke while airbrushing black people out of posters for China?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I’m honestly curious if after Part 2 comes out (if it does) if we’ll see some directors cut/extended edition of both films.

The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions were an interesting idea, I don’t know if the add material made the films better (I actually can’t recall it’s been years since I’ve seen the trilogy.)

The EE made LoTR better (particularly the mouth of Sauron scene), but the same treatment made the Hobbit worse.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Just finished it. I didn't hate it, the architecture was very well done and it didn't feel like it dragged considering it's length but it just wasn't engaging. It felt very flat and sterile. The whispering exposition was ridiculous and the wailing in the soundtrack was obnoxious and played out. The mother is just terrible, her performance alternated between mental breakdown/fetal position freakout and secret badass/supernatural witch sometimes even within a single scene.

I doubt many people that weren't already fans of the franchise and sic-fi will care much when the sequel comes out in a couple years. The ending while a perfectly logical point to stop is not enough of a cliff hanger or a satisfactory bump of emotion to make normies hungry for more.

but should it have rained in the end?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

It should have just been an HBO show if that wanted to do this kind of pacing with this kind of end.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
My wife is an uber hardcore Dune nerd and absolutely loved the movie. She's been gushing Dune lore into my brain for weeks now. I guess it's revenge for all the nerd gushing I've done to her about arcade games and other sci-fi franchises. Whenever she mentions the Kwitatz Haderach, my reply is always "give a dog a bone." Haven't been forced to sleep on the couch for it yet.

Anyways, not being familiar with the lore and being mostly a Dune n00b, I thought it was a solid watch. I'll need to watch it again to get a better comprehension of it all. Loved the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer, as always, brings his A game.

Part 2 has officially been greenlit btw.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Dune up to 292M worldwide.

Biggest individual markets:
US/Canada - $73.4M
China - $33.0M
France - $29.0M
Russia - $21.0M
Germany - $19.9M
U.K. - $18.1M
Spain - $9.1M
Italy - $8.4M
S. Korea - $6.8M
Netherlands - $5.7M
Taiwan - $5.3M
Japan - $4.9M
Denmark - $4.3M

Dune did mediocre in China and completely tanked in Japan, but it did excellent everywhere else. Megahit in Europe, hit in the US, Latin America, and the rest of Asia.

Still a few more countries for the movie to release in. Should hit ~370-400M worldwide before it's done.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Dune up to 292M worldwide.

Dune did mediocre in China and completely tanked in Japan

HOW DID DUBAI DO? That's what I want to know. Please provide stats for Dubai.

I trust the Japanese on this. They know shit when they see it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
HOW DID DUBAI DO? That's what I want to know. Please provide stats for Dubai.

I trust the Japanese on this. They know shit when they see it.
Small markets don't usually get weekly updates. They'll just post the final number when it's done there.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Audio mixing was fucking horrible. I have a decent stereo setup, and fucked if I could hear half the dialogue. This trend in new movies needs to fucking end already.

Meh movie, that I still enjoyed. I'll watch it again sometime... with closed captioning on.