Oh deer!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I got into a pretty bad car accident last night. I hit a deer straight on the highway and damaged the car pretty badly. Reviewing the dashcam footage, the deer was trying to cross a 10 lane highway and I had about 2 to 3 seconds of time to react. I was able to slow down significantly but unfortunately hit it straight on. I never had a head-on collision so I was quite shaken up. Thankfully, I was about 1/2 mile from the exit to my home so the towing expense was minimized. This is my old trusty Honda Element that I only have liability insurance. I am just thankful that it wasn't worse and I didn't get rear-ended. Other than the nerves, I was not harmed in anyway.

Here is the hit, don't watch if you don't like to see animal getting injured. :(

Drive safely out there, it really isn't worth driving fast and you get there 10 minute faster. This would have been disastrous had I gone 75-80. Glad I was only going 60 and hit it around 40+.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Damn, he was running on a broken leg. I see Deer almost everyday around our way. Have to be super careful. Amazing how he still got up from that. Crazy.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Damn, he was running on a broken leg. I see Deer almost everyday around our way. Have to be super careful. Amazing how he still got up from that. Crazy.

I couldn't believe it got up too with that broken leg and hopped off. I was right at exit 137 too, so close yet so far.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Glad you're okay. Deer are a fucking scourge in some parts of the country.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My older sister has hit two deers with insurance totaling both cars. She still gets nervous if she has to drive at night and it's been at least 10 years since she hit the last one.

Edit...Duh, glad you're okay!

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Holy shit that’s a fucking tough deer!

Glad you got through that ok!

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
If you were going 75 you would have been well past the point where the deer crossed by then. ;)

Sorry about the car though, here I-79 south of Pittsburgh is currently a blood spattered, carcass lined corridor, haven't had one try to kill itself yet in front of me but I keep an eye out.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

The vermin run on adrenaline for a while. That one is probably dead by morning in the grass/woods a few hundred yards off the road.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear about it...deer are no joke around where I live, they cause tons of accidents yearly. Since I've moved to a more rural location, I have to be super careful driving at night, they're everywhere.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The irony is that, I was driving back from Mt Hope in NY, where there were literally deer warning signs every couple of miles. I was super careful and didn't even see one.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thanks for sharing the video. Glad you're okay.

I still haven't hit any yet, but my dad travels in the rural areas a lot and has hit several before.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Living near the mountains sure has it's share of travelling worries. I have had my life risked between multiple deer (3-4) at once, mountain goats, and also moose so I hear your concerns. Glad you made it out okay! :)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Glad you're okay! Deer are always getting plastered where I live and the city doesn't typically pick up the corpses either, unless they're actually in the road, so, deer carcasses are a pretty common sight and smell almost year-round here. Raccoons, rabbits, coyotes, skunks, and turtles are frequent roadkill victims in my area too.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Glad you're okay! Deer are always getting plastered where I live and the city doesn't typically pick up the corpses either, unless they're actually in the road, so, deer carcasses are a pretty common sight and smell almost year-round here. Raccoons, rabbits, coyotes, skunks, and turtles are frequent roadkill victims in my area too.

Wow, where is this? This is insane.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
New law in WA allows you to salvage a deer if you kill it. My dad has hit 3 deers with 3 different cars throughout the years...Always joke around about him being Deer Hunter...My wife got in accident when she was pregnant and hit a deer. Pretty scary stuff. Damn bro yours was in the highway, glad you're ok.

2012-01-10113439.jpg

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Wow, where is this? This is insane.

The frozen wastelands of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Stuff gets splattered more often in the spring/summer/fall though, as some of those critters hibernate.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Whoa! Glad you're okay man! I've had some close calls as they usually travel in packs...I just seen one on the left side of this particular road I was driving down which meant it just crossed before I drove up....
BB

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
New law in WA allows you to salvage a deer if you kill it. My dad has hit 3 deers with 3 different cars throughout the years...Always joke around about him being Deer Hunter...My wife got in accident when she was pregnant and hit a deer. Pretty scary stuff. Damn bro yours was in the highway, glad you're ok.

View attachment 55226

Yikes, that must be one expensive repair bill! I feel pretty lucky all things considered.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Glad you're safe - and as a bonus, you're also not in Mount Hope.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Yikes, that must be one expensive repair bill! I feel pretty lucky all things considered.

yeah man, the bimmer was brand new only few months and wife was 8months pregnant. Its good that you had an SUV. The one that happen with my dad went to the hood smash the windshield on his Honda Accord.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
That sucked, my uncle once had a similar one, vs. an Elk though, car was totaled and he was in hospital for a few weeks.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sucks but awesome video! I love dash cam videos.

I've thankfully only come across one kangaroo on the road at night, they're big and love standing in the middle of the road staring at your head lights. Luckily I was going slow because you can go whatever speed you like down some country backroad.

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member

View attachment 55226

I live in the mountains in Washington. Critters everywhere. Everything from bunnies to moose. I need to get a steel bumper guard for my truck before I hit something.

Lastblade, I am glad you are okay. Accidents can be really unsettling. It took my wife a while to be okay in the car on the snow after we went off the road a number of years back.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, I feel better now that I have a week to digest what happened. I am still waiting for the shop to give me an estimate on the repair, they thought it is totaled when my insurance is liability so they were never going to cover any of the cost. Stupid idiots not doing anything for a week. I hope the quote is reasonable or I really have to junk it.