Old anime 80s-90s

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I see some people with City Hunter Icons and Lupin the 3rd icons here and there on the forums and was quite curious what some of you alls favorite old anime movies, OVAs or TV shows are?
I have come to discover that I miss the 80s anime movies like Midnight Eye Goku and MD Geist because they actually had pretty good plot points and were geared more toward a mature audience. On top of that they were bloody as fuck!:glee:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Golden Boy, any of Go Nagais stuff (Cutey Honey,Keko Kamen, Devil Man), Dirty Pair and Dirty Pair Flash, Hokuto No Ken, Yu Yu Hakusho,Outlaw Star and more. I really need to watch more.

The art style from mid 80's to early 90's is simply awesome, much better most times than today's digital blurry mess although there are exceptions. I find todays animes lacking in color palette/shading.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Most the anime I ever gave a damn about came out of those decades, post that point, very little outside of some of them Studio Ghibli works. I've got both those Funimation 5packs of Lupin Movies, also Castle of Cagliostro on blu ray (inside that miyazaki collection only sold on amazon.) I recall really enjoying movie wise stuff like Wizards, Outlanders(also a manga which I have), Golgo-13 and Queen Been sequel, Akira, Fist of the Northstar, Black Magic, 8Man After, Dominion Tank Police (both), Appleseed, Iria the Zeiram Project, Vampire Hunter D I was huge into (even used it as much irc-efnet nick for a long stretch in the 90s into the 00s), and more stuff I'm forgetting. TV side though Robotech(Macross), Transformers, Dragon Ball and DBZ too but less, Voltron(Golion), Speed Racer, Astroboy, Lupin, the original 1st/2nd year of Pokemon, Gundam(og) and Gundam Wing, even watched Sailor Moon for stupid factor, Ranma when I could (viz were scam pricing the VHS tapes). Quite a few of the anime that Toonami ran in their long 90s/00s run I watch entirely all of it pretty much. I know to some probably heresy but I've never seen or read a minutes worth of Evangelion, not sure why just never sucked my interest in enough to care.

I lean these days almost entirely towards manga and have around 280 books worth of it, my list http://tanooki.byethost16.com/manga.html is mostly accurate but forgot to add Vizbig 1-9 (full set) for Dragon Ball Z I found recently. As much as I like animation time is a factor and it's harder for me to sit and watch cartoons than it is to whip out a book and blow though that, plus I like the attention to detail in manga usually lost in video.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Golden Boy, any of Go Nagais stuff (Cutey Honey,Keko Kamen, Devil Man), Dirty Pair and Dirty Pair Flash, Hokuto No Ken, Yu Yu Hakusho,Outlaw Star and more. I really need to watch more.

The art style from mid 80's to early 90's is simply awesome, much better most times than today's digital blurry mess although there are exceptions. I find todays animes lacking in color palette/shading.

Nice picks! I definitely enjoy the sharper edges on some of the faces on older 90s anime compared to today. However, it is a little crazy how some of the latest anime might have more fluid animations, but are definitely quite bland when it comes to detail and expressions.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I too prefer anime from the 80's & 90's like City Hunter, Kimagure Orange road and stuff like Ping Pong club aswell.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I really like perverted animes like Golden Boy & Here Comes the Ping Pong Club. Also the classic Hokuto No Ken, Kinnikuman, & Dragon Ball were my goto animes i was watching as a kid living in japan. Slam Dunk though is my favorite.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Golden Boy as mentioned.
Ranma 1/2
Ronin Warriors
Fatal fury 1,2,3
Berserk
Ninja Scroll
Demon city shinjuku
Too many to list

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Golden Boy
Ranma 1/2
Lupin 3rd (Castle Cagilostro my fav)
Tenchi Muyo (OAV's only)
Fushigi Yugi
Bastard!
Project A-Ko
El Hazard (again OAV's)
Moldiver
Record of Lodoss War
Cat Girl Nuku Nuku

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So many cool stuff there, all of Kawajiri's efforts for one, among them: Midnight Eye Goku, Cyber City OEDO & Wicked City.

Then there's this George Miller like feature Grey, the dystopian Alita, the unforgettable Wind of Amnesia. Shirow made some cool stuff, too way before GitS: Appleseed, Black Magic and Dominion come to mind.

It was really an unique era, with this raw and dirty drawing style, that made animations truly live. Nowadays those cleaned and glossy lines look plain and hollow to me.

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
Riding Bean, Bubblegum Crisis, Macross Plus/7, and a lot of the UC Gundams, especially Zeta.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The Cockpit is pretty awesome and only 3 episodes long. It's from the guy who did Galaxy Express 999.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Angel Cop
The Professional: Golgo 13
Akira (Obvi)
Outlaw Star
Ronin Warriors

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the original dub of akira has to be my favourite movie of all time. and movies like street fighter 2, ninja scroll and crying freeman are up there with my favourites.

other favourites of mine:

fatal fury
angel's egg
ghost in the shell
spriggan
Galaxy Express 999
Captain Harlock: Advent Of The Mazone
the guyver
cashern
roboteck
grey
appleseed
Dominion Tank Police
Neo Tokyo - Construction Cancellation Order

and of course everything ghibli.

Last edited:

buru5

War Room Troll
Ninja Scroll is my favorite from the 90s and probably my favorite anime movie of all time. Absolutely recommend.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Bubblegum Crisis looks so nice, I love Sonoda's character designs in that and Otaku no Video. Heck, I like most of the stuff he did in general!

I've also got a sweet spot for Urusei Yatsura, watched a lot of that in college. Who can say no to Lummy

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Surprised no one mentioned Vampire Hunter D.

Few others not yet mentioned:
Golgo 13
MD Geist
Mermaid Scar

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It's okay. I remember watching the heavily edited version on local TV (had a channel that played Streamline/Orion anime once a week in the early 90's) I think I still own the live action on VHS.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
It's okay. I remember watching the heavily edited version on local TV (had a channel that played Streamline/Orion anime once a week in the early 90's) I think I still own the live action on VHS.

It was one of my first experiences with Anime. My uncle used to babysit me, and he was watching it one day. I was probably to young to have been watching it, but after that point I really got into anime. I used to rent tapes from blockbuster and record them with a second VCR. Stuff like Bastard,poltergeist report, and Ninja scroll, and appleseed being stand outs to me

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
One of the first anime movies I ever saw was Perfect Blue. Excellent. my first exposure to anime was a Ranma 1/2 VHS that I borrowed from a kid in the neighborhood.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Anybody a fan of wicked city

I am kind of. Has anyone seen Brain Powered I'm interested in checking it out plus I like Perfect Blue , Grappler Baki and Genocyber.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It was one of my first experiences with Anime. My uncle used to babysit me, and he was watching it one day. I was probably to young to have been watching it, but after that point I really got into anime. I used to rent tapes from blockbuster and record them with a second VCR. Stuff like Bastard,poltergeist report, and Ninja scroll, and appleseed being stand outs to me

We had one Blockbuster in the area that had a decent anime collection. I still have a shit ton of anime I recorded with the 2 vcrs over the years. Once in a while I pop something in.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Anime in the 80s and 90s felt special. It was almost hipster to like it back in the 80s and 90s but in a good way. Meeting up with people, doing tape trades, reading the old fanzines that gave translations of raw anime and fan subs you had to be on the inside to obtain. It was such a glorious time.

Nowadays when I see shadows on a character's face, I am shocked. Back then, if I didn't see shadows on a character's face, I thought the animation was either cheap or TV grade.

I watched Gundam F-91 last night. Two things about that anime

-fucking VASTLY underrated, probably because it felt too 'samey' with Tomino's other efforts. But still, watch it separated from everything else and it is simply brilliant. The opening sequence up until Seabook and co. escape the colony is one of the best portrayals of civilians surviving a war zone in a sci-fi conflict ever.

-the animation and artwork are so sublime that I can't even begin to describe it. Yoshiyuki Tomino is not the perfect creator I once held him to be, but F-91 is still a fantastic effort from him.

The tropes of the 80s and 90s anime scene were vastly more interesting than the tropes of modern anime.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
3x3 Eyes, Bubblegum Crisis & Dominion Tank Police back in the early 90's on VHS was my gateway into anime.